Login and account creation back!

Discussion of the Open Database, its mission, how to recruit editors and contributors, any on-going problems, and any other matters relating to Starfleet Jedi's resident wiki.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Login and account creation back!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:07 am

JMS reports and I have confirmed that it is back up. If you have any further problems, please report them immediately.

Thank you.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Login and account creation back!

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:25 am

Account creation has been re-disabled due to the large volume of spambots relative to users. Accounts can be created manually by admins.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Account creation has been re-disabled due to the large volume of spambots relative to users. Accounts can be created manually by admins.
Is the spambot storm more severe than usual?

How can potential new members approach admins? (there's just one and it's you, unless I missed some promotion)

Does it extend to mods as well?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:05 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Account creation has been re-disabled due to the large volume of spambots relative to users. Accounts can be created manually by admins.
Is the spambot storm more severe than usual?

How can potential new members approach admins? (there's just one and it's you, unless I missed some promotion)

Does it extend to mods as well?
In the several days that registration was open, we had hundreds of pages created with spambot link-farming content (mostly they do it with userpages). If you check the last five hundred recent changes on the wiki, it's all user regs and mass deletes from me.

Mike has sysop privileges on the wiki. Can't remember, but I may have actually given him those before I started handing out forum moderator privileges.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:38 am

Been debating working on the wikia lately, but it seems that I can't find where to create an account.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:46 pm

I think the account creation was disabled again by JMS due to another spambot deluge earlier this year when we tried to reopen the account registration. Might have to talk to JMS about setting up your account there or we might have to institute a system like the forum has for registration that filters out spambots.
-Mike