Wiki Soapbox

Discussion of the Open Database, its mission, how to recruit editors and contributors, any on-going problems, and any other matters relating to Starfleet Jedi's resident wiki.
AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Wiki Soapbox

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:07 am

What is a "soapbox?"

Grandtheftcow
Candidate

Post by Grandtheftcow » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:24 pm

Its a word generally used in politics.

When someone makes a long winded statement or speech its often referred to as "getting up on a soapbox."

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:38 pm

So far as I'm aware, wikis usually don't have soapboxes.

However, I thought that it would be a good idea to put one on the wiki on my site. Basically it's a "says whatever you want it to" article - a little free vent zone. At the time, I didn't think I was going to start a discussion forum, and the soap-box was my concession to the discussion, venting, and opinion-mongering that most VS debaters feel a deep need for.

If you want, you can hit the "edit" button on the soapbox and rant on about how you feel the urge to draw a mustache on your monitor whenever you see a RL picture of a certain SB.com member.

Or you could talk at length about all the reasons why you think the ICS is utter garbage, or how underhanded and hypocritical I am, or whatever else comes to mind.

Grandtheftcow
Candidate

Post by Grandtheftcow » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:15 pm

So we'd have more freedoms there than we do here on the forum? :(

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 pm

OK cool, thanks guys. And I think the request is that posters remain civil on this forum, and don't just ramble on, or make posts that serve no purpose. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:01 am

Mostly. There are a few more specific rules, but they're all fairly simple and unsurprising.
Grandtheftcow wrote:So we'd have more freedoms there than we do here on the forum? :(
That would be one way to describe it.