Major update

Discussion of the Open Database, its mission, how to recruit editors and contributors, any on-going problems, and any other matters relating to Starfleet Jedi's resident wiki.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Major update

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Or perhaps I should say reinstall. I didn't feel like working around the poorly-documented legacy code that some thoughtless webmaster had left behind the last few times he updated and modified the wiki software, so I've started completely afresh.

Please re-register your user accounts, as I didn't transfer those (the user rolls were filled with blocked spambots in any case), and quickly re-registering them will take a load off of my back as far as not having to deal with any imposters. Those of you who've volunteered for and been given high access levels (Mike, I'm especially looking at you) please confirm your user accounts with me by PM or e-mail so I don't accidentally give sysop access to an imposter of some kind.

All the articles and their revision histories should have transferred neatly. The old wiki has been transferred intact to www.starfleetjedi.net/old_wiki for the time being, so you can check for missing pages. If you find pages that need transferring, let me know, and I'll import them with revision history intact.

I cut the coloring out of the main page; it no longer forces colors to fit with the old SFJ style template. Visually, that's the only real difference you should see on the wiki. I've upgraded the anti-spam security measures; you might find it disappointing if you were expecting to see a major change, but it was a long-overdue update to much newer software versions.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:18 am

Just checking the new wiki shows that it is missing 278 out of 440 pages. So it would seem that there's still some work left to do.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 pm

I think the new software counts articles differently, but I'm having trouble finding any differences through the indexes, e.g., http://www.starfleetjedi.net/old_wiki/i ... l:Allpages vs http://www.starfleetjedi.net/wiki/index ... l:AllPages - the main content articles would appear to all be present.

It is a little troubling that the page counts look so different, but I can't really see what's missing (I just found the handful of non-empty Talk: pages and ported them over).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 am

Are there settings you can adjust for the the Database? Oh I just did a head count and there are only 345 pages listed out of 440 in both lists linked to. Something is missing somewhere.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Are there settings you can adjust for the the Database? Oh I just did a head count and there are only 345 pages listed out of 440 in both lists linked to. Something is missing somewhere.
-Mike
Things like how it produces specials and statistics would require careful adjustment to the code.

One thing that makes up the difference is that "Allpages" doesn't include categories, templates, talk pages, user pages, etc.

I can see, however, that if anything, I've weakened anti-spam protections somehow in the update. Working on that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:45 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I can see, however, that if anything, I've weakened anti-spam protections somehow in the update. Working on that.
I saw that. Definitely spambots.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Well, it would seem that my efforts have still not been sufficient.

However, I think I *may* have an interesting answer that will take care of the wiki's spambot problem, but I may want to do some work on the forum software first... I might do another wiki reinstall/port in the process as well, but I'll announce any downtime in advance.

I may even think about requiring registration to post, but it seems the technique of this phase of spammer is oriented on user creation, so I'm not terribly worried.