Attention JMS: Spam bots getting through on Database!

Discussion of the Open Database, its mission, how to recruit editors and contributors, any on-going problems, and any other matters relating to Starfleet Jedi's resident wiki.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Attention JMS: Spam bots getting through on Database!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:44 am

Within the last two weeks there have been several spam postings on the Database. Each time they've been blocked and deleted by me, but they keep coming back several days later under new user names. I tried editing an article while not logged in and noticed that the spam blocker only asks for you to fill in the letters only every now and then rather then all the time you post.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:18 pm

I've been putting this off for a while because I didn't want to do a database migration on my current host, but I've decided this means it's really time for a major update. More on this later.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:37 pm

Okay, until you make the move, I'll just try and stay as vigilant as possible. Luckily the spammings have got somewhat less frequent.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Well, it'll be hard for them to do it while it's down. And now I get to do it over again... don't be alarmed if you find it looking empty during the next few hours or so.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:28 pm

All right, then. I look forward to seeing the changes.
-Mike