*Spoilers* New (old) Enterprise for upcoming movie

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

*Spoilers* New (old) Enterprise for upcoming movie

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:17 pm

After seeing the exciting look at the uniforms, Quintos as Spock... we suddenly get slammed with.... this.

Honestly, if this is for real, I don't know if I will be able to watch this movie. The design is too unbalanced in form, and has too many elements of the advanced TMP-style design about it to work for the time period it is supposed to be set in. Very disappointing. I would have prefered the Koernerprise to Abram's Enterprise any day.
-Mike

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 pm

I dunno. I quite like it. The front of the nacelles look nice compared to the old red ball. The deflector dish is perhaps not that much to my liking though.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:33 pm

I don't have as much of a problem with the front of the nacelles as I do the trailing ends, which look too much like the ST:TMP refit version. The nav deflector would have worked better and been more consistent with the NX-01 if it had been a copper colored dish that was blue-lighted from behind.

But the stardrive main engineering hull is just awful in terms of it's proportions. The E-D had a similar small stardrive to saucer proportions, but that was better balanced out and in keeping with the advanced propulsion technology of the TNG-era. The Koernerprise works precisely because it keeps many elements of the original Jefferies/Datin design and it's proportions.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:56 pm

This...is...for real?

Actually, I'd be willing to bet that it's not...kinda-sorta. The original Enterprise is very well-established from the original series and even compared to the movie version this new design is too much of a deviation.

However, I'm willing to bet that this design is in the movie still - as a different ship from the Enterprise, however. J.J. Abrams has stated that there will be new ship designs representing older ships than Enterprise, and I'm willing to bet that this might be it, and that the article is simply confused.

However.....

A close inspection reveals that the nacelles of the above picture match with the nacelles in the article.

EDIT: and I just noticed the picture in the article appears to have the registration 1701 on the underside of its hull.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:11 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:This...is...for real?

Actually, I'd be willing to bet that it's not...kinda-sorta. The original Enterprise is very well-established from the original series and even compared to the movie version this new design is too much of a deviation.
Yes, it's unfortunately for real. It's a horrible fusion of the TMP refit and original E-1701 designs. As I said, the Koernerprise works far better, and Abrams and company could have taken a clue from the ST and DS9 "In a Mirror, Darkly" and "Trials and Tribble-ations", and have done the the original design mostly, but with subtle upgrades, like lightly visible aztec hull paneling, and small phaser emitters, ect.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:48 pm

I... Love... It!

Some of you may think it's horrible, but I love it.
It think it's stylish, and reminiscent of the way the 60-70's viewed furturistic vehicules (just look at futuristic car drawings in thiose years).

It's fresh and campy at the same time.

I cannot wait to see the movie... :)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:16 am

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:26 am

Now THAT ship was cool. Too bad we never got to see its weapons.

Anyway, I'll reserve judgement on the new Enterprise until I see it in action.

Thanatos
Padawan

Post by Thanatos » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:16 am

The design is too unbalanced in form, and has too many elements of the advanced TMP-style design about it to work for the time period it is supposed to be set in
Its a completely new timeline starting when (The USS Kelvin is destroyed with Kirks father on it.).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:58 am

The trailer has been sneaked here to Trekmovie.com. At 1:05 you can see the new Enterprise in front profile leaving behind what clearly is another gigantic space station. It appears to be a large sphere-shaped core structure with arms radiating out into 5 or 6 flat saucer structures. The visible windows would place this station into the Spacedock size catagory.

The Enterprise nacelle pylons are slightly inward curved, but at least from this view the ship looks a lot better than it does in the 3/4 view profile.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:50 am

Okay, after seeing this trailer, this movie better fucking deliver. And while the new design is different, this movie is set before the first movie and TOS, so it wouldn't be out of the question that they changed the hull design before TOS started. It did have a few lightyears on it before Kirk took over.

My opinion of the hull is uncertainty. It looks like someone in the modern era was trying to make a TOS ENT reto feel that's combined with modern equipment.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:26 pm

They're not going to be keeping the old designs - and that's a good thing. Nobody except the really hardcore fans would even want that, and this movie is supposed to draw in a new crowd, not just cater to a handful of the most devoted old fans. Heck, I've seen quite a lot of trek but I would be sorely disappointed if they didn't spruce up the old stuff. Personally I’m already a bit disappointed that they actually decided to include the movie in the old canon instead of just throwing all the old things out and making a clean reboot, like nBSG.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:57 pm

Of course the TOS sets suck big donkey balls for crissake. It can only be a good thing they someone decides to depart from this and bridge ENT-TNG in a more appropriate way.

That said the trailer reminds me of a post made at SBC, where someone sarcastically fantasied what the trailer would show, with all the overdone infinite light streaks on spotlights, the super duper action, the boobs and so on.
I'm afraid they're trying to make Kirk too cool, and err... a bit too Yankee-ish.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:03 am

I'll be hoping it turns out well. The shiny new model doesn't bother me a bit. Sure, it's different, but it looks good.[/img]

Thanatos
Padawan

Post by Thanatos » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 am

And while the new design is different, this movie is set before the first movie and TOS, so it wouldn't be out of the question that they changed the hull design before TOS started
Again, its in a new continuity that starts something like 15-20+ years before this movie. TOS as we know it does not happen. The event that marks the beginning of that shift (which I refer to above) could logically change future designs and some Starfleet attitudes.
Personally I’m already a bit disappointed that they actually decided to include the movie in the old canon instead of just throwing all the old things out and making a clean reboot, like nBSG.
Its in the same canon but not the same timeline. Someone from the old continuity we all know about went back in time and their events cause a new timeline.

Star Trek is one of the few series that can do an internal reboot. Enterprise is sadly still canon (and referenced) because its too early to erase. You'll note that the point that it changes is a fair number of years after everyone has been born and had their personalities generally locked down to create basically the same characters.

Kirks personality at the beginning of the movie is the only one effected (for obvious reasons!), but the change occurs late enough to bring the core personality we know back through the events of the movie.