Clone Wars CGI Series

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Episode 22 "Hostage Crisis".

You've gotta be kidding me. Armed bandits drive right on up to the landing platform of the Senate building without authorization, shoot the guards, and walk to the East Wing unopposed, stopping en route at the central power control room where they leave a wussy midget-alien armed with a stungun.

There was also a sniper who had taken up position within a kilometer or two of the Senate building, and who actually used a blaster for the purpose. (This renders the Ep2 poison dart even more of an act of plot.)

At the East Wing they take senators hostage, the midget-alien cuts the power, and all of the sudden they can walk around the building unopposed except for Skywalker, who is unarmed by virtue of the plot.

Skywalker uses a mind trick to split up a badguy and assassin droid searching the area for him, and in the one surprise of the episode he actually goes to kick the droid's ass instead of the guy's. I found that quite odd. But, the droid was carrying the bigger gun, so maybe that helped.

Anakin beats the droid, but the droid bends the gun barrel rendering it unusable. The badguy comes upon the scene with Anakin having escaped and notes that the droid isn't lightsabered up, reasoning that the Jedi running amok must be unarmed.

Anakin is then easily caught (the midget-alien owns him from behind).

Skipping a bit, the badguys walk away with their prize, and have used up all of their threats and capacity to harm the Republic at the end of the episode. And at this point they are still on frakking Coruscant, perhaps a few kilometers from the Senate building, in a readily-identifiable (trust me on that) hovercar train.

Are you freaking kidding me?

In case you were missing the concept spread throughout the above, the seat of government for the Republic, a nation in wartime, had about the same security precautions and security staffing as the local mall. And after owning the security staff, the badguys walked away to freedom under the noses of the cops.

Can you imagine what a transporter-equipped badguy could do to these people?

It's little wonder that they were able to take Palpatine just before Ep3. Hell, I don't even know why they needed a fleet there. They could've just sent Grievous on commuter starships and luxury liners . . . he wouldn't even need a fake name.

Little wonder also that even as the capital was on lockdown with the "Jedi Rebellion", Yoda was able to walk into the Senate building, nearly kill Palpatine, and then escape the building in a passenger car driven by a politician.

Oh yeah, and some little bombs above some folks that didn't even send nuclear heat through a hole in the ceiling blew a hole in the side of the Senate building.

Saxton must be spinning in his three-piece over this show.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:31 pm

2046 wrote:Episode 22 "Hostage Crisis".

You've gotta be kidding me. Armed bandits drive right on up to the landing platform of the Senate building without authorization, shoot the guards, and walk to the East Wing unopposed, stopping en route at the central power control room where they leave a wussy midget-alien armed with a stungun.

There was also a sniper who had taken up position within a kilometer or two of the Senate building, and who actually used a blaster for the purpose. (This renders the Ep2 poison dart even more of an act of plot.)

At the East Wing they take senators hostage, the midget-alien cuts the power, and all of the sudden they can walk around the building unopposed except for Skywalker, who is unarmed by virtue of the plot.

Skywalker uses a mind trick to split up a badguy and assassin droid searching the area for him, and in the one surprise of the episode he actually goes to kick the droid's ass instead of the guy's. I found that quite odd. But, the droid was carrying the bigger gun, so maybe that helped.

Anakin beats the droid, but the droid bends the gun barrel rendering it unusable. The badguy comes upon the scene with Anakin having escaped and notes that the droid isn't lightsabered up, reasoning that the Jedi running amok must be unarmed.

Anakin is then easily caught (the midget-alien owns him from behind).

Skipping a bit, the badguys walk away with their prize, and have used up all of their threats and capacity to harm the Republic at the end of the episode. And at this point they are still on frakking Coruscant, perhaps a few kilometers from the Senate building, in a readily-identifiable (trust me on that) hovercar train.

Are you freaking kidding me?

In case you were missing the concept spread throughout the above, the seat of government for the Republic, a nation in wartime, had about the same security precautions and security staffing as the local mall. And after owning the security staff, the badguys walked away to freedom under the noses of the cops.
Perhaps there were terrorist attack simulations this day, including one involving an assault on the Senate? :P
Can you imagine what a transporter-equipped badguy could do to these people?

It's little wonder that they were able to take Palpatine just before Ep3. Hell, I don't even know why they needed a fleet there. They could've just sent Grievous on commuter starships and luxury liners . . . he wouldn't even need a fake name.

Little wonder also that even as the capital was on lockdown with the "Jedi Rebellion", Yoda was able to walk into the Senate building, nearly kill Palpatine, and then escape the building in a passenger car driven by a politician.
Yes, even Yoda crawling in via some access tunnel seems weird. But there weren't that many guards either. Maybe Palpatine noticed Yoda approaching, killing some guards and sent orders to let the little green thing approach. He probably looked for that duel.