STAR WARS going in circles... how to break that

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 pm

...nobody really bothers to read what I write anymore, do they?

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 pm

I read what you worte, if there was a misunderstanding, you might explain it.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Translation: Despite the recognition that Stargate has a smaller fanbase, my opinion is that Stargate is a superior franchise in terms of quality.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 pm

Now I understand. You weren't perfectly clear. I have never seen Stargate. Never. I have no idea.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:44 am

These ideas are good for one shot episodes or mini arc, and I think they'd fit greatly into a low tech Star Wars, at the beginning, or before the existence of the Jedi.

It is also true that the Jedi Sith wars allow for some formidable material, but it would take the risk of focusing much less on normal people.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:14 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Translation: Despite the recognition that Stargate has a smaller fanbase, my opinion is that Stargate is a superior franchise in terms of quality.
That's just because SW is really poor actually. Lucas should give his baby to someone else.

Stargate has a huge potential, but has been ruined countless times by the absurd, lazy and kindergarten stylized writing.
Wright, Mallozzi and Mullie form a triumvirate of hackjobs with a very strong interest in disputable ethics.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:These ideas are good for one shot episodes or mini arc, and I think they'd fit greatly into a low tech Star Wars, at the beginning, or before the existence of the Jedi.

It is also true that the Jedi Sith wars allow for some formidable material, but it would take the risk of focusing much less on normal people.
There were ides that would focus on normal people there. I really like the pirate idea.

Also, to me, the greatest asset of Star Wars is not really the Jedi, its the vast amount of races and landscape there is to work with.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:37 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:These ideas are good for one shot episodes or mini arc, and I think they'd fit greatly into a low tech Star Wars, at the beginning, or before the existence of the Jedi.
I've done some searching at Wookieepedia, and it appears that the Jedi tradition has its roots very deep in the Star Wars universal history; in fact, there seems to be a pretty sharp division between the end of the Rattan Empire and the beginning of the "Jedi era" in which force use became understood.
That is also the impression I get from Wookieepedia.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:49 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
ILikeDeathNote wrote:Translation: Despite the recognition that Stargate has a smaller fanbase, my opinion is that Stargate is a superior franchise in terms of quality.
That's just because SW is really poor actually. Lucas should give his baby to someone else.
Eh, I suppose. The OT is generally regarded to be better under the direction of someone else, after all.

But at the same time, well, it's his and he can do with it as he pleases, just as Corporal says about SDN and Wong. Of course, Lucas is also under more financial pressure (a lot) to keep it good.
Stargate has a huge potential, but has been ruined countless times by the absurd, lazy and kindergarten stylized writing.
Wright, Mallozzi and Mullie form a triumvirate of hackjobs with a very strong interest in disputable ethics.
Well...that was probably right around the time when I lost track because the schedule shifted or something. I'd like to hear you elaborate more on this, please.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:10 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: That's just because SW is really poor actually. Lucas should give his baby to someone else.
Eh, I suppose. The OT is generally regarded to be better under the direction of someone else, after all.

But at the same time, well, it's his and he can do with it as he pleases, just as Corporal says about SDN and Wong. Of course, Lucas is also under more financial pressure (a lot) to keep it good.
I'm rather glad that he's accepted to hand his universe to other people for the live action series.
Well...that was probably right around the time when I lost track because the schedule shifted or something. I'd like to hear you elaborate more on this, please.
There are many of my rants at Gateworld, and I and others used to severely criticize the show on another board which is either close to closure, or is still in transition towards a new BB system and perhaps a server.

Needless to say, I have heavily commented on how the show has been dumbed down terribly, although SG-1 finished on a bitter taste, largely surfing on its former success --which could have never existed if the show didn't start well, but TPTB don't seem to want to acknowledge that-- Stargate Atlantis has been a failure from get go. A first season which had lots of potential, lots of errors as well, but which I think was DVD worthy, followed by what is a garland of four mediocre seasons, with a few gems (most of which were largely due to the talent and presence of the Hewlett family).
SG has a lesser following than Trek, but it's rather clear in my mind that if SG had an equally large audience, we would have seen for SGA what we saw for VOY and ENT, that without the last gleaming season of ENT.

Wright worries me. He never admitted the full frontal nudity of Sha're in CotG, saying it's out of place, but doesn't see any problem with people being shot down countless times, with a Wraith queen's severed head presented to a cheering crowd, with Vala being burned alive and crispy on screen.
His plans are to resell CotG as a movie, so he wants a larger audience. He also planned to cut dialogue between Jack and Daniel. Considering the utter shitfests that Continuum and AoT have been, I'm rather worried that he's doing a Lucas and trying to alter what was obviously superior material to anything his pals have done after that.

As for SGA, it has been a recurring insult to intelligence, while shows like nBSG, B5 and DS9 are engaging, I'd say enlightening and even positively provocative at times.

I don't understand how so many fans refuse to admit the disminishing quality of the franchise, the falling ratings, the actors highlighting the errors and failures of their own source of income, when it's just plain glaring that this difference exists from the moment you compare the Glassner years, eventually the Showtime era, to the rest.

If SGU fails to renew with former glory and quality, I suppose I'll just stop watching this and complain about another massive wasted opportunity because of sheer easy profit.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:01 am

I, uh, don't see what could possibly be wrong with full frontal nudity.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:19 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:I, uh, don't see what could possibly be wrong with full frontal nudity.
A stigmatized theological culture that faints and goes to civil war at the view of a single breast from a half black female singer, perhaps?

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:21 am

Well, I see no problem with full frontal nudity.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 am

Well, I see no problem with full frontal nudity.
That's because you're a pervert... ;)

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:59 am

Point conceded.