Sneak peak at The Clone Wars

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:07 pm

The more interesting thing in the whole asteroid belt scene is that they have to focus their shields in the forward arch. Why? Because so far the two reasons given for the asteroid killing the SD in ESB has been that either the shields were down or the momentum ripped the shield generator off its moorings, but the kinetic energy was inconsequential. This event disproves both of those assumptions.

If momentum is the only problem and kinetic energy is insignificant in comparison, they could have the shield surrounding the entire craft and still expect the same results from rocks hitting them. Directing it in the forward arch will change nothing. And if the shields were down in the ESB example and the stardestroyer could’ve shrugged the asteroid off with them up… then why on earth is the ship in this case leaving a part of itself exposed by arching the shields forward?

Of course there's the remote chance that these rocks are flying around really fast. But knowing how visual Sci-Fi works, I'm pretty sure they'll be slower then in ESB.

Oh, and anyone want to take a stab at guessing what happens when the capships open fire on the asteroids where the walkers are? Will the asteroid vaporize, break up, or simply get a small crater in it? My guess is the last of those things. Oh they weren’t firing on maximum setting? Isn’t the lowest setting in the megaton region?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 pm

While out and about, I had a chance at a local bookstore to look at the Clone Wars Visual Guide, and found the section that listed important ships and people for the GR and Seperatists. What looked initally like two possible new Republic capital ships turned out on close inspection to be some kind of space station and an ARC-170 or something like that.

The space station is rather intriguing since that'll be a good first hand look at one since the original Clone Wars cartoon series, and maybe a scaling of pre-Death Star space stations will be possible.
-Mike