Complete and updated ICS

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.

How do you think there will be changes?

Saxton's firm numbers for power levels is cut out
25%
All the other entries get the Saxtonian treatment to make them all the same
8%
All entries get wanked and Saxton's 2 gets wanked further
8%
Saxton's figures are dialed back to be more in line with most of the rest of the EU
25%
We see wankage like you have never seen for any other scifi franchise that has ever existed or will ever exist...it's that huge; I'm talking Xeelee and photino birds are cowering in fear of these figure because theirs is just so pitifull and up, people
8%
Nothing happens to Saxton's figures; revised tech info involves either low or no set numbers or no additional firm figures type stuff
17%
Something else
8%

Total votes: 12

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:58 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:What's TLC? Is this figure directly related to the EU's terajoules of coherent light or whatever from the X-Wing books?
TLC= The Turbolaser Commentaries, a pre-ICS VS-related site.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:31 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:What's TLC? Is this figure directly related to the EU's terajoules of coherent light or whatever from the X-Wing books?
TLC= The Turbolaser Commentaries, a pre-ICS VS-related site.
Ah ok. Thanks, I see what it is. I so get lost with those acronyms these days. :)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:17 pm

Funnily, the megaton claim for TLs would actually fit with the novelisation line about those weapons being able to vaporize a small city (or town, can't remember), a figure of speech often used to actually described a device's best performance, beside simply being a low end.
RoTS Novelization, Page 1:

" The nightside sky is an infinite lattice of shining hairlines that interlock planetoids [...] The shining hairlines are light-scatter from turbolaser bolts powerful enough to vaporize a small town. The planetoids are capital ships."

Calculations performed in a thread at the STrek-v-SWars board based on the city I grew up in (population 30,000, low density), using about the maximum radius from city center to the city limits, and assuming the vaporization of a human being at that radius put the weapons at about seven megatons. That's rather on the high end IMHO, but since there is no rigorous definition for city vs. town it seemed a reasonably Wars-favorable estimate. Given that these bolts have to be visible from the surface (or at least rooftops) per the description, it's clear that these are the largest bolts being fired. After all, even the big bolts from RoTJ attributed to heavy turbolaser cannons are barely visible from a distance of just a few kilometers in open space. Even in modern urban environments you won't see anything fainter than a 3 or so in our goofy magnitude system, so I'd imagine that from the cityscape of Coruscant the situation would be far worse.

(That said, the rocket booster of Sputnik 1 was visible as a magnitude 1 object (compared to the polished half-meter of Sputnik itself, which was only mag 6). That's on par with the brightness of Saturn. It was a 28m by 3m cylinder that reached a height of . . . well hell, no one seems to be giving up that info online . . . but in any case it is said to have reached orbit and hung out there for a couple of months, suggesting that it maybe hit 100km or some similar LEO figure. For a painted-white, high-albedo, 28x3 vehicle to show as mag 1 still suggests that the bolts, only about as bright as the reflected sunlight on the dingy ship hulls in the RoTS battle when seen from afar, would've had to be large to be noticed.)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:41 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:19 km long Executor? God. So the ISD would be longer than 1.6 km, no matter if certain scalings at Strek-v-Swars boards, I think by Big Hairy Mountain (sorry, can't rememebr the complete nickname :)) actually found those measurements to be wrong from time to time.
I forget the names of all the people that did one, but I know the last one I saw was done by Weyoun before the site went down. Or was it on Jackson's forum, I can't remember. But, Weyoun did use the Tydirian approach shot of the SSD and the ISDs.
Quadrillons droids. That's a etst run. Will they reduce the number in favor of Traviss, nevermind the attempted lousy retconning, or will they literally keep the thing as it is now, and keep going on?
My guess would be that it's more Travis like if not what Travis has used.
Will they update the cross section of the N-1 and correct the problem with the astromech's bulk not fitting the slot. Wasn't a scene in Ep 3 which actually showed that R2's top dome could actually lift up from the main section?
Not in 3, I think. You might be thinking of when R2 was the distraction for Ben to grab a lightsabre and cut the cuffs off himself and Anakin. To distrct them, he opened up a bunch of panels all around and shot electricity in a few directions and whistled and screeched.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:52 pm

Nightside sky helps to see those TLs, even if, as you said, it was actually hard to spot such TLs in ROTJ, while there was only the blackness of space for any background.

On the same hand, Coruscant is a city world, with lots of lights, and this would cause visual pollution. Sounds laughable, but it's fact that observing spot like distant interstellar bodies is quite a tough task in brightly illuminated cities.

Of course, our contemporary cities are quite polluted, so besides light diffusing within the atmosphere, there's the problem of light diffusion within a polluted atmosphere.

Anyway, the TL bolts are far less luminous than even a mere light reflection bouncing off a polished surface flying in Earth's orbit (satellite).
Those would be quite hard to spot unless massive.

For example, the TLs fired by the main cannons of those Banking Clan Communication Frigates could barely be seen, even at close distance. Those same ships said to be able to vaporize ice moons in one shot by the ICS, right?

However, the blue and continuous beam fired from the hangar bay of a Venator would be a good candidate there. Wide and luminous enough.

However, this would mean that the quote in the novelisation actually adresses the firepower of a TL mounted on a SPHA-T and fired from the hangar bay of a warship, and is therefore irrelevant to the warships' very weapons.

But, how many times would this SPHA-T trick be used? It's more an exception than a rule.

The trouble is that there aren't many ROTJ-like hairlines to spot in ROTS, nevermind if there weren't many to spot in Jedi to boot.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:03 am

GStone wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:19 km long Executor? God. So the ISD would be longer than 1.6 km, no matter if certain scalings at Strek-v-Swars boards, I think by Big Hairy Mountain (sorry, can't rememebr the complete nickname :)) actually found those measurements to be wrong from time to time.
I forget the names of all the people that did one, but I know the last one I saw was done by Weyoun before the site went down. Or was it on Jackson's forum, I can't remember. But, Weyoun did use the Tydirian approach shot of the SSD and the ISDs.
Mh, ok. No news from these guys btw?
Quadrillons droids. That's a etst run. Will they reduce the number in favor of Traviss, nevermind the attempted lousy retconning, or will they literally keep the thing as it is now, and keep going on?
My guess would be that it's more Travis like if not what Travis has used.
I'm not sure, but isn't Traviss' figure actually pointing at numbers at the beginning of the war? It seems the film, or the novelisation of AOTC, says that only a little bit more than one million clones had been produced thus far.

Plus that whole super killer ratio (200:1) is absurd. You look at ROTS, with the attack on that planet where Grievous was hiding, and you see the clones falling like flies, perfectly expandable and not particularily that uberesque.
Will they update the cross section of the N-1 and correct the problem with the astromech's bulk not fitting the slot. Wasn't a scene in Ep 3 which actually showed that R2's top dome could actually lift up from the main section?
Not in 3, I think. You might be thinking of when R2 was the distraction for Ben to grab a lightsabre and cut the cuffs off himself and Anakin. To distrct them, he opened up a bunch of panels all around and shot electricity in a few directions and whistled and screeched.
Well, thinking about it, they can't do much for it, since its actually the ship design that is faulty, and the telescopic dome is the only plausible explanation.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:09 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Mh, ok. No news from these guys btw?
As of a month or 2 ago, Omega told me that he had been too busy lately to do anything with getting the forum up. So, I told him that Darkstar was interested in archiving the forum and I told Darkstar the deal with Omega and I told them both to get in touch with each other. I don't know what happened after that.
I'm not sure, but isn't Traviss' figure actually pointing at numbers at the beginning of the war? It seems the film, or the novelisation of AOTC, says that only a little bit more than one million clones had been produced thus far.
I'm not sure. The only one I ever heard of was 3 million and all their dying seems to drop their numbers down. They could have had around a million and then, backed it up with recruiting. The guys on the Venator at the end of 3 had to be recruits. So, Palpatine continued with the clones being made on Kamino for the next 20 years and bolstered the ranks. But then, some get taken out by the DS blowing up and the increase in rebel fighting.
Plus that whole super killer ratio (200:1) is absurd. You look at ROTS, with the attack on that planet where Grievous was hiding, and you see the clones falling like flies, perfectly expandable and not particularily that uberesque.
Who the hell would run with a long rifle half bent over? You run with your knees bent and your upper body hunched over some, not bent at the waist, like you're bowing. They couldn't be that badass. Endoctrinated into a military social structure, okay. Given decent testing for mental and physical abilities and given armor and a blaster, but not that much.
Well, thinking about it, they can't do much for it, since its actually the ship design that is faulty, and the telescopic dome is the only plausible explanation.
You might have also been thinking of when R4 had his head removed by the buzz droid. I had never thought of a telescopic dome till I saw the ICS. I always thought he was just shoved close to the surface. Oh, could you be thinking of the behind the scenes stuff with the bloke in the R2 suit? I think that was the dome on a hinge thing.

SailorSaturn13
Bridge Officer

Post by SailorSaturn13 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:49 am

Well, droids had n o chance of killing Jedi. Clones did...

In the end, I also hope new ICS makes more sence

I just noticed that even books as late as "Vector Prime"(NJO) contradict ICS: a 20 km rocky moon cannot be fragmented into fragments small enough to burn in atmosphere by a lone ISD In a couple of hours.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:30 am

Droids actually were somewhat successful at killing Jedi, as the arena battle showed.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:39 pm

SailorSaturn13 wrote:
Well, droids had n o chance of killing Jedi. Clones did...

In the end, I also hope new ICS makes more sence

I just noticed that even books as late as "Vector Prime"(NJO) contradict ICS: a 20 km rocky moon cannot be fragmented into fragments small enough to burn in atmosphere by a lone ISD In a couple of hours.
How surprising. Really.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:20 pm

The writers are probably more concerned with story consistency and the editors focus more on everything together with the errant reference book showing up.