Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Jedi Knight

Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

Post by 359 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:56 pm

It was good

Jedi Knight

Re: Rogue One Review (Spoilers)

Post by 359 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:17 pm

As I expected it would be.

The story was unique enough, especially for a Star Wars movie; girl watches her father taken away and forced to work for the empire against his will by imperial in white cape. She is hidden and grows up with a faction of rebels under Saw Gerrera. She doesn't want that life so she runs away and becomes a criminal (this is in flashback or referenced). Later she is rescued from an imperial labor camp by a rebel intelligence operative, Cassian Andor, in order to get a meeting with Saw since he broke away from the rest of the rebel alliance. Things happen, things get blown up, and then she meets with her father, he dies, she becomes a True Rebel™. They go to steal Death Star plans because of a weakness her father put in the reactor. These plans are held at an imperial stronghold. There is fighting. There is dying. The plans escape aboard the Tantive IV.

Note: All main characters die in explosions. Except for Jyn and Cassian, who die in the same explosion.

As I said before, I thought it was a very good movie. It shows us a little more about the nature of the rebel alliance and what they go through, which I find very interesting. Additionally we see a little more about the empire and it's functioning around the Death Star project.

From a more technical approach I liked the directing and camera work. Didn't pay much attention to it as I was paying more attending to the movie, but there were a number of very nice camera shots.

They did however use CGI models to recreate several classic characters for whom the actors simple aren't alive, or don't look at all the same for, Leia and Tarkin. The only time this is obvious is the first scene with Tarkin where they're trying to do a dramatic reveal of the character, but they didn't quite get the CGI lighting right. Other than that they were very good, and used only when necessary, recreations.

The space battle was of course, fun. (Yes it did have a planetary shield)

Overall: many/10 - would see again.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Enjoyed the movie for the most part and I did like the fact that our heroes have to rely on their wits and skill rather than Mary Sue Force powers.

And yes, I did appreciate that the main heroes all die at the end of the story, but their sacrifice made a difference.
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 pm

I was terribly bored watching it right up until the Rebel fleet jumps in. The characters were bland, uninteresting, and completely forgettable. This movie has to be succeeding on nostalgia alone.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:10 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a lot more... how do I put this? Brutal, than previous Star Wars films. Even the darkest aspects of Revenge of the Sith couldn't match the intensity of the Scariff battle, which was closer to the portrayal of a real battle than anything seen previously in the franchise. It was also quite bold to kill off pretty much every new character introduced, though, in retrospect, a necessary move, since none of these characters are seen or referenced ever again.

Maybe the timing of when I saw it affects my perspective on this, but my family and I saw it very shortly after Carrie Fisher passed away. Therefore that very final scene was quite emotional, and resonated a great deal with me.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 am

"I am one with the Force and the Force is with me!"

I liked it a lot, in many ways I felt it was superior to TFA...
And I loved the price they paid for their actions, it showed, finally, that people have to pay the price for freedom, that it isn't free...

misternobody86
Redshirt

Post by misternobody86 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:03 pm

While I have a low opinion over the sequel trilogy, especially the Last Jedi, I have to say I did really enjoy this one when I finally broke down and watched it. While the main protagonist girl was a little bland in my opinion I thought the droid K-2SO was fricking awesome! I'd be totally down for a spin-off film focusing on his droid adventures. I mean, if he wasn't dead of course.

The scene with Darth Vader at the end was another highlight and it was just glorious to see the Dark Lord of the Sith show exactly why he's feared throughout the galaxy.

I'll admit the big rebel fleet, while fun, seems a little out of place considering that only days later the Rebel base could barely muster a handful of squadrons of fighters to protect themselves. But I suppose fun is more than a good enough reason to do it.