Rogue One

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Starship Captain

Rogue One

Post by 2046 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:27 am

So unfortunate . . . the Rogue One trailers feel more like Star Wars than that Force Awakens nonsense*, and yet they had to screw it up by setting it in the universe that is the bastard stepchild of the Lucas canon and the EU.

One example . . . the shield. Not once in the Star Wars of Lucas does a planetary shield exist. Not in the myriad examples from the Clone Wars where one could've protected critical worlds, not even in the novelizations written by EU authors, and not even in Return of the Jedi.

Pity they couldn't keep to the real story.

* I still haven't seen TFA and based on what I have read I am not sure I want to. Still haven't seen ST Beyond, either, and the new ST Discovery show is on a tightrope. I will flip that coin later.

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Rogue One

Post by Khas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:40 am

Umm, I just watched every single "Rogue One" trailer, and absolutely no one even utters the word "shield". In any of them. What you talkin' about, Willis?

EDIT: Just saw the Shield Gate info. Given how BIG those things are, I'd guess that they're a fairly new technology in-universe, and are only deployed there due to how critical everything going on there is.

On a related note, what do you think of Thrawn being in "Rebels"?

SpacePaladin
Padawan

Post by SpacePaladin » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Count me in on the "it's probably a new technology" bandwagon. The planet in question is described on the Databank as the primary construction facility for the Imperial war machine (though I'm not sure if it's being metaphorical or literal), so it makes sense that it's heavily protected, while at the same time, it's not some secret base like Endor was.

I'm also curious as to the scale, because depending on the size of the Shield Gate compared to the rest of the planet, it might be like with Starkiller Base, as in, substantially smaller than what we normally consider a planet.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Stopped watching Rebels when I realized it didn't actually count. It is interesting insofar as a glimpse of Filoni's thinking about Clone Wars, but I have been rewatching Clone Wars instead.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:43 pm

As for new tech, Alderaan was described as being as well protected as any Imperial world in the novelization, so . . .

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:41 pm

2046 wrote:As for new tech, Alderaan was described as being as well protected as any Imperial world in the novelization, so . . .
There is a difference. Alderaan was a "civilian" world - meaning that it most likely wouldn't have had the defenses that a world dedicated to an Imperial military R&D project would have. And if the Empire saw that orbital shield generators could be taken out fairly easily, than they might have deemed the tech to be not worth it, and instead focused on fleets of conventional ships for defense, which would have been proven to be more reliable. It's probably experimental tech that was later abandoned due to being impractical.

2046 wrote:Stopped watching Rebels when I realized it didn't actually count. It is interesting insofar as a glimpse of Filoni's thinking about Clone Wars, but I have been rewatching Clone Wars instead.

You do know that saying "Rebels doesn't count" is literally no different than Wong and his cronies saying "'The Die Is Cast' doesn't count!", right?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:32 pm

The military installation argument may have merit, but then the quote does basically refer to Vader's reasoning. Had he just left a better-protected world that wouldn't make sense.

And no, there is no comparison between my statement and something Wong might say, and I daresay you were being intentionally offensive in suggesting as much. The Disney canon ia not a continuation of the Lucas canon, but a new and separate entity based on both the Lucas universe and the old EU. Facts of the Lucas universe do not necessarily apply, as the contradictory elements show, and of course the reverse is naturally true.

In effect, it is Tuvix. Why would I, a fan of Tuvok, waste my time on Tuvix if analyzing Tuvok? Tuvix can tell me things about Tuvok but only via a distorted lens, so I might as well stick with what Tuvok said.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Like it or not, Disney has the say in what's canon and what's not now. Period. Even StarWars.com shows ships and characters from Rebels in its databank, which is more than can be said for ships and characters from the new books, so it's part of the core canon, just like the movies and TCW.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:48 am

I don't see why this is even a discussion. Disney and the Lucasfilm Story Group have laid out in no uncertain terms what is and is not canon. The movies, The Clone Wars TV series, Rebels TV series, all novels and comics produced after April 25th, 2014. It doesn't matter if you agree with it, like it, or hate it, that's the way it is. That is what will be used as debate material, if you want to be taken seriously that is.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:15 am

I'm in agreement here with Tyralak. This is no different than when in the late 1980s and early 90s when Gene Roddenberry turned over the running of the Star Trek franchise to Rick Berman and other people to run. It is what it is for better or worse. George Lucas has chosen his successors and now it is time to move on.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes, the legal owner has the right to change the canon any way they see fit. They could declare that Jar-Jar was the secret mastermind of the Whills and publish some canon to that effect if needed. At best, a butthurt person could simply say that before the change, such-and-such was the case, and make the point that the new owners don't know how to make real Star Wars, et cetera, before weeping in their Star Wars cereal bowl.

However, from the April 2014 announcement, Disney (1) described the Lucas canon as the immovable objects, (2) declared the EU to be changing, not discarded, and (3) referred to their new works, which would henceforth feature EU elements (which, they had just noted, wasn't part of the Lucas canon), as the "new canon".

Thus, this is a new universe, the child of the original inviolable Lucas universe and the EU. One could even make the case that it •is• the Expanded Universe, rebooted and in new more visual media, though that isn't where I am going with it. By acknowledging the inviolable supremacy of the Lucas canon while also changing the facts on the ground for the new canon, it is not, nor could it logically be, a continuation of the Lucas canon in the classical sense, because it is a new and altered universe. It is more story, yes, and continues the storytelling, but it is not part of the Lucas continuity. The Lucas canon is closed.

(And after all, we also know that the Disney story isn't the same as what Lucas would've told, since they discarded his outline, Leia and Han grilling in the backyard, et cetera. That is their purview as new owners.)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 pm

Tyralak wrote: if you want to be taken seriously that is.
Hehe . . . thanks for that. I heard that same sort of thinking back when I was pointing out "parallel universe" to the EU-philes.

Edit: Incidentally, this is nothing new. I went back to check, and I have comments on this going back almost two years. Why the sudden freakout?
Last edited by 2046 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh, and lest anyone think I am being unfair to Star Wars, I also don't think anything in JJ-Trek has anything to do with the original Trek universe. The universe in which Romulus was destroyed is not the same as what was inhabited by TOS, the TNG era, et cetera. So there.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:14 pm

2046 wrote:Stopped watching Rebels when I realized it didn't actually count. It is interesting insofar as a glimpse of Filoni's thinking about Clone Wars, but I have been rewatching Clone Wars instead.
Please forgive any misunderstanding on my part but am I correct in understanding you quit watching Rebels because it wasn't Lucas-canon? If you don't mind me asking of course.

-Respectfully, sonofccn

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Correct. I never found it as good as TCW but watched it out of a mix of duty, amusement at the low tech, et cetera, but I would rather not put Disney canon things in my brain if not necessary. As I said on the CanonWars blog almost two years ago:
Just as I still remember the notion that Star Wars space force personnel get queasy if things aren't upright, and just as I recall the suggestion from sone Trek non-canon that touching a Vulcan is thought quite rude, things get stuck in the brain that end up having nothing to do with the 'reality' of the universe you're trying to enjoy.

So, Rebels might be fun to watch, but as a person with a strong interest in assessing canon fact and discarding useless data, it simply doesn't make sense to expose myself to false data. I am senile enough as it is, so trying to recall some moment of when so-and-so did such-and-such is already difficult. Trying to maintain a separate compartmentalized section of my recall for Rebels is an absurd proposition.
(Note: The Vulcan thing was supposedly because it would cause unwelcome telepathic contact.)