Rogue One

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Starship Captain

Re: Rogue One

Post by 2046 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:38 pm

This was a prior conversation here:

http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... 7&start=30

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:29 pm

2046 wrote:Correct. I never found it as good as TCW but watched it out of a mix of duty, amusement at the low tech, et cetera, but I would rather not put Disney canon things in my brain if not necessary. As I said on the CanonWars blog almost two years ago:
Just as I still remember the notion that Star Wars space force personnel get queasy if things aren't upright, and just as I recall the suggestion from sone Trek non-canon that touching a Vulcan is thought quite rude, things get stuck in the brain that end up having nothing to do with the 'reality' of the universe you're trying to enjoy.

So, Rebels might be fun to watch, but as a person with a strong interest in assessing canon fact and discarding useless data, it simply doesn't make sense to expose myself to false data. I am senile enough as it is, so trying to recall some moment of when so-and-so did such-and-such is already difficult. Trying to maintain a separate compartmentalized section of my recall for Rebels is an absurd proposition.
(Note: The Vulcan thing was supposedly because it would cause unwelcome telepathic contact.)
That's your call, and I'm certainly no fan of Rebels, but I would say that seems a little restrictive to me. Hell one of my favorite Star Trek books treats warpdrive as something only very expensive, large starships possess with civilian freighters and shuttles explicitly only capable of impulse propulsion. Which is a bit at odds with how the universe ultimately came to be but the story's still fun. I wouldn't want to lose that simply because it isn't "real" Star Trek.

But to each his own, I guess.

-Respectfully, Sonofccn

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:49 am

I've liked assorted Trek and Wars stories. Actually, for a separate example, the audiobook "Logic of Empire" is totally in my headcanon regarding Blake's 7 . . . but then it doesn't really effect the show at all, unlike Trek or Wars EU.

That said, you may recall that I don't actually like fiction, generally. Some things are grandfathered in, but mostly I could care less. Nine times out of ten, it is stupid people writing unrealistic characters acting unrealistically with unrealistic emotional responses and doing unrealistic things. There can be interesting facts included and interesting statements on the human condition, yes, but by and large it contributes to everyone walking around with their heads full of mush.

With that in mind, why waste time on a universe that doesn't give even a pretense of a rip about consistency, even with its own immovable objects?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:58 am

2046 wrote:I've liked assorted Trek and Wars stories. Actually, for a separate example, the audiobook "Logic of Empire" is totally in my headcanon regarding Blake's 7 . . . but then it doesn't really effect the show at all, unlike Trek or Wars EU.

That said, you may recall that I don't actually like fiction, generally. Some things are grandfathered in, but mostly I could care less. Nine times out of ten, it is stupid people writing unrealistic characters acting unrealistically with unrealistic emotional responses and doing unrealistic things. There can be interesting facts included and interesting statements on the human condition, yes, but by and large it contributes to everyone walking around with their heads full of mush.

With that in mind, why waste time on a universe that doesn't give even a pretense of a rip about consistency, even with its own immovable objects?
I recall you mentioning you weren't much for modern Hollywood's typical antics but I wasn't aware that extended to fiction in general. That's most unfortunate but I understand if something isn't to your cup of tea there really isn't reason, other than the aforementioned tech analysis, to sit through and endure it.

Now me I'm kind of in the opposite boat as you. I don't have much appetite for more cerebral stuff, and typically turn my brain off when I watch movies or what have you anyway, I just want a fast paced yarn with lots of pretty explosions where the lantern jaw hero saves the girl in the nick of time.

-Respectfully, Sonofccn

RomalaG.whero

Rogue One

Post by RomalaG.whero » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 am

Theyre at one a year now but I think the plan is to ramp up to 2 Anthology per year instead of just 1 plus an Episode every 18 months instead of 2 years, which suggests the template is: one stand-alone movie like Rogue One, one character-centric movie like Han Solo, and the next Episode.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Milking old heroes wasn't really necessary on the scale of necessities, if such a thing ever existed.

It's also interesting to observe how many of original ideas from West End Games will be recycled and actually end in a movie.