Simon Pegg to play Scotty in ST: XI

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Socar
Bridge Officer

Simon Pegg to play Scotty in ST: XI

Post by Socar » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:04 am

Link

I personally think this is a good choice.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:38 pm

Now I have this weird and wacky image in my head of Scotty fighting zombies for some reason.... ;-)
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:44 pm

Well... I think Mc Gillion was a good choice, if not a better one, but maybe his closeness to Stargate Atlantis played against him.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:11 pm

Simon Pegg is at least a casting decision on the same piece of land as Scotty's nationality, rather than the whole other side of the Atlantic pond.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:22 am

I'am not as concerned about the nationality of the actors they could have choosen for the role, so much as said actors' ability to portray the character. The late James Doohan was not Scottish, but Canadian as you probably well know. But he did such an excellent job with the role of Scotty, that many people have come to think of him as a real scottsman. For another example, Jamie Bamber in the SciFi Channel's version of Battlestar Galactica, is generally from the U.K.. But can easily portray a character (Lee "Apollo" Adama), who sounds every bit like a long-time Canadian or U.S. citizen, as well as protrays the character in an interesting manner.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:11 am

Add to that Hugh Jaclman, who had a convincing "North American" accent in X-men, when in truth he is from New Zealand, and has an thick accent in real life.

And how about Arnold Schwarzenneger... Ah, forget about him... :)

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:42 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:The late James Doohan was not Scottish, but Canadian as you probably well know. But he did such an excellent job with the role of Scotty, that many people have come to think of him as a real scottsman.
Except for actual Scottish people, who hear that terrible accent and then cringe.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:13 pm

They all do, or just you, Narsil?
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:They all do, or just you, Narsil?
-Mike
Being someone from Scotland, I can tell you that it's a general consensus.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:39 pm

That's strange, you don't sound scottish... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:59 pm

Narsil wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:They all do, or just you, Narsil?
-Mike
Being someone from Scotland, I can tell you that it's a general consensus.
Really? Can you please provide some kind of a source for that?
-Mike

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:16 pm

Praeothmin wrote:That's strange, you don't sound scottish... :)
Och, ye dinnae ken whit ye're witterin' abit, lad!
Mike DiCenso wrote:Really? Can you please provide some kind of a source for that?
Will a statement from a man from Perth and Kinross do? Because I can say that Scotty's accent sounds fake.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:19 pm

Narsil wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:The late James Doohan was not Scottish, but Canadian as you probably well know. But he did such an excellent job with the role of Scotty, that many people have come to think of him as a real scottsman.
Except for actual Scottish people, who hear that terrible accent and then cringe.
A few of them seem to like the character a little, whether or not they think the accent was well done.

Narsil
Jedi Knight

Post by Narsil » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:A few of them seem to like the character a little, whether or not they think the accent was well done.
I was exaggerating with the 'hear the accent and cringe', but it's still a terrible accent. Scotty is my favourite character in TOS by far, but it does not save the accent. His behaviour and mannerisms outside the accent might make the character Scottish, but it's still pretty terrible.

Mind, James Doohan might as well have been born, raised and had his first drink there compared to some anti-semetic twats.

Compare to Liam Neeson

Anisarian
Candidate

Post by Anisarian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Praeothmin wrote:Add to that Hugh Jaclman, who had a convincing "North American" accent in X-men, when in truth he is from New Zealand, and has an thick accent in real life.
Australian. He doesn't sound the remotest bit like a New Zealander.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO2XFnFzqwo

That is the sound of a proper New Zealand accent, notice the way he has very odd ways of pronouncing words, they also have an odd way of saying fish and chips (Comes out somewhat more like fush and chups) but thats beside the point. Compare that accent to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlqFDxqzk44

Hugh Jackman, you will see they are very different. Jackman has an australian accent. I can tell he has one cause his voice sounds normal to me, which doesn't usually happen when things are accented.

Anyway, Shaun Pegge is awsome, and is very talaneted at what he does. And he plays both Shaun from Shaun of the Dead and the Cop from Hot Fuzz very well, think it is a good choice.