Anton Yelchin killed in car accident

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

Anton Yelchin killed in car accident

Post by Sothis » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 pm

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Anton Yelchin killed in car accident

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:00 am

Sad, but true:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... tcmp=hpbt4

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/19/enter ... index.html

Unlike the Leonard Nimoy, Deforest Kelly, and James Doohan, this is a young man who was only just hitting his stride in the movie and entertainment industry. A genuine talent lost before he could live a full life as they did. :-(
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:52 pm

It may have been due to a flawed UI with the transmission causing confirmation of one's shifting into Park to be sloppy at best.

http://jalopnik.com/fiat-chrysler-sent- ... 1782490152

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:12 pm

Parents sue Chrysler.
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1541089 ... at-we-know

It's a dumb way to die.

1. Don't park your car on a slope.
2. Don't stand between said car an a nearby large obstacle.
3. Don't buy crappy car that injures or kills people.

As for Star Trek 4, producer J.J. Abrams has confirmed that Chekov will not be recast, so it remains to be seen whether the character will be killed off or be transferred elsewhere.
This is respectful.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:19 pm

I disapprove of your message. While this may serve as a reminder to use one's parking brake more liberally (or at all, for most people), I don't think the fellow did anything unusual or dumb. The grade on his driveway is less than what I grew up with, and nobody I know tags the parking brake ever unless they have a problem or a steep hill.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:04 am

For me, while it was tragic, I can't help but feel that it could have been avoided. I lived practically at sea level, and flat, growing up and it was drilled into me to always use the parking break.

I'm not gonna say he was foolish for not doing so, society itself tends to have a 'use it or don't' kinda policy on the whole issue. Sadly he just was a victim of that. :(

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:07 pm

2046 wrote:I disapprove of your message. While this may serve as a reminder to use one's parking brake more liberally (or at all, for most people), I don't think the fellow did anything unusual or dumb. The grade on his driveway is less than what I grew up with, and nobody I know tags the parking brake ever unless they have a problem or a steep hill.
It's more about the way the death happened that is sort of dumb, not the actor doing something ultimately silly.
Although from my point of view, this opinion results from cultural and technological differences: I view it as needlessly risky and, of course, sort of silly, because of the way I was educated about how to handle cars.
The parking brake is precisely there to avoid any kind of movement caused by any slope or even, say, any accidental nudge. This is a primary lesson taught in most driving schools across Europe since manual gear is mainly used on that continent and people rarely engage the 1st gear with the engine shut to lock the car's movement (although that's a definitive extra in the case of a remarkable slope).
For example, I've never encountered a driver not using the hand brake at stop. In fact, when going up or downhills, some few people I met even use it at traffic lights known to be irritatingly long.
Now, with electronics "infused" cars and those (latest) automated gears involved, the story may be different...