Ghostbusters(2016) trailer

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Ghostbusters(2016) trailer

Post by Sideswipe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Anyone want to talk about how bad it was...

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Re: Ghostbusters(2016) trailer

Post by Sothis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm

I don't like to judge films based on trailers, but yeah, not feeling too optimistic about this one.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:02 pm

At least ST Beyond's trailer is quite watchable with the sound turned down, but this... this is one of the worst trailers I've seen in a very long time, and does not bode well for the Ghostbusters franchise. Hopefully the next trailer for this movie will be better.
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:43 am

The original Ghostbusters is one of my all time favorite movies so hearing they were making a reboot pissed me off from the get go, but after seeing that trailer I don't think it could have been much worse.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:09 pm

I don't mind rebooting a franchise so much as getting it done right. The first trailer pretty much screams "NOT DONE RIGHT!!!" at me. You'd think that these guys at Sony pictures would get a clue by four and have it set in the same universe 30 years later, and have the original cast do a proper hand off to the next generation as Star Trek and Star Wars have done.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:48 am

The (not so much) needed link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__gRz6V962g

When they fire their guns, it sounds like a Jaffa staff firing. I'm sure it's just a SFX used for the trailer and nothing final.

Making a reboot is already going to get you negative points. It's part of the whole Hollywood is rotten dead and exploits nostalgia while being lazy and taking the less risks possible.
When you do take on a respected albeit quite old franchise, you're aiming high. The very first one was perfect on all points and was supported by a strong dynamic between two characters played by some of the most talented actors of their time, Murray and Weaver. Everything else was a bonus ontop of that. That first movie was like a less serious Die Hard with sticky glowing ghosts. The second one was enjoyable but not exactly as cool. Especially due to the consequences of having emotions influence the slime. Thus people singing outside to weaken the slime shield. It bordered on lecturing and was too serious. In comparison, the first movie had played it smart on that front by having Aykroyd's kind wishes twisted into something huge and destructive. So the precursor movie had none of the sweet potato feelings winning the day. The first one had none of that and victory was only obtained by shooting and shooting some more until the demons couldn't take it anymore. So if at least that new movie gets it, it will be a positive point in its favour. The trouble is that my quibble with piece 2 has a lot to do with the underlying principles that fuel political correctness and I'm not seeing anything in that trailer, or for fact anything I've heard about that movie that is not already making my sirens scream aloud (...).
I'm not sure if pre-defending a movie by saying "bu' it's a joke!" is going to detract from the very heavy handed feministic premise. The original movie, for all its giant monsters and vivid ectoplasmic colours, benefited from a very well pieced and balanced script, in many cases subtle enough to do its magic without much effort. In comparison that new one might very well be struggling and trying too hard.
Also, how come there's not one single man? Well the reason is that if you had any kind of hero guy, no matter how many women you'd throw in the mix, they'd all be a harem graviting him. Only one woman could be allowed, but then she'd have to be something special and Hollywood being what it is, she'd end being another man in bras, more of a Vasquez type than a Ripley one, more Agent Romanoff than Agent Maria Hill.
Then again maybe it could work, but it would all depend on the cast, or at least one single powerful dynamic between two characters played by, once again, very good actors.
So do we get any of that? I know none of them, aside from actually the one "main" man of the cast, Captain James Thor Kirk, who is supposed to be some (totally unconvincing) kind of geek or ...?? Complete miscast.
Seriously, this doesn't bode well for the future success of that flick. All four women bar the one brunette with fair hair look like overblown satires of the characters that should have been. Perhaps that kind of over the top coolness and lack of realism sells today, but that's not how the original cast worked. At the beginning, you just had normal people, jobless and building up some kind of half-scam they barely believed in, until it turned into a full-real situation.
So I wouldn't be holding my breath... and just like it happens to be for many other reboots and revivals, I'd ask what is the point of all of that?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:50 am

Note that Sig is mentioned in the cast roll.