The new Star Trek: Beyond trailer was...

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Jedi Knight

The new Star Trek: Beyond trailer was...

Post by 359 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:00 pm

terrible.

First I'd like to start this off by saying that I did like the two previous movies. Star Trek (2009) is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite movie of the series, and Into Darkness is good, albeit much lower on the list. Sure they weren't the same, but to me they still had a feel that made them Star Trek. I find it hard to describe exactly what it is, they were action-y and all, but they still had a core that fit and made it trek, even if they were greatly different than the rest.

That being said, I sense no such Star Trek at this movie's core. Based on the trailer this is just another action movie that just so happens to be set in space. Really that's all there is to say.

But who knows, maybe it's just a trash trailer and the movie will be much better. Unfortunately I'm not to confident in that. Generally the previous trailers have given some feel for the move without giving too much away. Let's hope this is an exception.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Re: The new Star Trek: Beyond trailer was...

Post by Cocytus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:52 am

Oh dear God.

This is directed by the same guy that made the Fast and the Furious. Yeah, I smell a mind-numbing, backrow-groping, dumb as all hell action movie. At least Dubai is still inhabited in the 2230s or whenever.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Just keep in mind that trailers often lie, and that the script was written by Simon Pegg, Roberto Orci, and others, not Lin. So there is some hope here.

Also, what is it with this sadistic trend in beating the shit out of the Alt-prise every movie? I know it's not the best design they could have gone with, but couldn't just this once show her kicking ass instead of being curbstomped? Well, at least the ship is shown running into the asteroids at what looks like hundreds, if not thousands of meters a second.

Also, is the alien guy at 1:05 a Reman or a Jem'Hadar?
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:44 am

Trekcore has high quality screencaps from the trailer here

Looks like that initial scene is not the Alt-prise hitting asteroids but is under attack by a massive swarm of small alien craft, which then in turn pop out soldiers. Apparently the swarm severs the saucer section and at least one warp nacelle. The saucer in turn crashing on the planet mostly intact.
-Mike

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 pm

I have hope, but it's hope that the movie is nothing like the trailer. As I stated, while trailers do not tend to give away the movie, they do tend to represent the general feel of the movie. And in this case I very much hope this is not true.

I see nothing wrong with the specific content, except perhaps yet another thrashing of the Enterprise, it's simply how it is put together and comes across. The trekcore recap of the trailer actually sounded interesting and good. So there may yet be hope.

And on a different note, I totally agree, the new Enterprise gets beaten up far too often for it to be a surprising turn of events. The only time we have seen it fighting back was in that awesome scene where it came in guns blazing in 2009, and then tearing the Narada apart at the end. It'd be nice to see it hold its own against some attack for once.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:03 am

Oh my. My first reaction was that it looked like the bastard child of xXx and GotG trailers. But, watching it on mute, (or going over those Trekcore caps) it didn't look all that different from the first 2 trailers to me. The few meaningful snippets of dialogue I thought sounded promising as well.

Also, both director Justin Lin and co-writer and star Simon Pegg have voiced their dissatisfaction with the trailer as well, saying it didn't capture the real feel of the movie. So that's something.

I have hopes this one may actually be better than the prior entries, though I too would like to see the Enterprise not get ripped to shreds for a change. Here's to the altverse 1701-A.

Mike DiCenso wrote: Also, is the alien guy at 1:05 a Reman or a Jem'Hadar?
Apparently he's brand new:

Pheonix
Redshirt

Post by Pheonix » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:01 pm

I too liked the previous two films. But this trailer I didn't like. I saw it when I went to watch Episode7, and to be honest it felt like a Marvel trailer and blended right in with the half hour of Marvel trailers we endured... It didn't feel like Trek (to me).

Then again one of my most favourite Star Trek films is Voyage Home so.. yeah. maybe not a popular choice, hah. I think that film is brilliant.

Firmus

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:37 am

The Voyage Home was the highest grossing Star Trek film until 2009.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:14 pm

Not exactly. In adjusted for inflation dollars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was actually the highest grossing Trek film until ST 2009 with adjusted domestic box office take of 260 million (82 million in 1979 dollars). The Voyage Home's adjusted numbers is around 231 million (109 million in 1986 dollars).
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:02 am

Overall I don't like the new trailer, and I'm greatly worried about the direction the series is taking. I liked 2009, but I really did not like Into Darkness... and this appears to be more of Into Darkness...

Enterprise gets its ass kicked again.... At this rate I'll need to switch sides in the debate. >___<

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:23 am

Well, on the bright side I've read a few articles stating that Simon Pegg, who is a writer for the movie, was surprised by the trailer. He apparently does not like it and has stated that it doesn't represent the movie well. So that's at least some good news.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:47 pm

Or he is attempting damage control...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 am

There's room for concern.
On one side, you could say that they're opening up the series to a lower common denominator, the dumb actionite if we may say, in the hope that a relevant percentage of this mass will translate to viewers.
So splosions, sexy aliens, kung fu, whatever.
On the other hand, you'd be right in saying that a Trek movie doesn't need this. It does not need to show any of this or convey that kind of spirit because it is just not about Trek. There's a plenty of action movies to shove that kind of trite bag of action clichés into.
It's not being elitist, it's simply about respecting and understanding the primary spirit. It's one of wonder, of adventure, mystery and danger. All in outer space. It has to be about dreams and dread.
This trailer demonstrates absolutely nothing of that. The trailer would very well be felt as insulting, even.
But it's just a trailer, misguiding. Yet, it's Star Trek, and just because it's only a trailer doesn't mean you can sell Trek with that kind of crap.
You may insist on the action part of the next movie, but still keep it serious and respectable. There it feels like Spy Kids or what have you.
We're back at the point that it's just a trailer. But the problem is that the crew behind that movie is willing to sell this movie that way. That's the worrying part. Heck, even the next Star Wars E7 trailer couldn't go that down, that embarrassing.
So although chances are high that the trailer does not reflect the movie, there's concern to be found in that the studio was willing to produce such a trailer to boot.
Besides, it really doesn't give anything exciting at all.
So maybe the alien nest is some kind of plague that threatens the galaxy (again, geez), but it's quite a cheap way to increase the drama.

Haha, thking of it, a movie like Avatar, with a couple changes whilst keeping the overall plot, might have been a very good Trek movie. At least there was some kind of message there, even if superficial and way too politically correct.

But the new Trek flicks? Pure, dumb entertainment. The only thing that makes them Trekkish is how they at least, somehow, treat their simplistic (or very convoluted plots) in a serious manner.

Yet, there's hope for the third one. Because it really feels like the trailer is a complete brain fart.

Mike DiCenso wrote:Not exactly. In adjusted for inflation dollars, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was actually the highest grossing Trek film until ST 2009 with adjusted domestic box office take of 260 million (82 million in 1979 dollars). The Voyage Home's adjusted numbers is around 231 million (109 million in 1986 dollars).
-Mike
Aye Captain Anal. XD

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:06 am

Sideswipe wrote:Or he is attempting damage control...
Always good to have a cynical one around here!

Or maybe Pegg sucks as a writer and whatever he thinks is great will turn out to be a mildly boring, mostly irrelevant story.

Moff Tarquin
Bridge Officer

Post by Moff Tarquin » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 am

Mike DiCenso wrote: Also, what is it with this sadistic trend in beating the shit out of the Alt-prise every movie? I know it's not the best design they could have gone with, but couldn't just this once show her kicking ass instead of being curbstomped?
Because there's no dramatic tension to the good guys kicking ass in their big bad space ship. But if the big bad space ship gets curbstomped by a bigger badder space ship, but the good guys kick ass without their big bad space ship, and take down the bigger badder space ship by some combination of cunning and gratuitous bad-guy punching, not only do you have a dramatic arc, but you emphasize just how bad ass the good guys really are.