The New EU: Do you like it?

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

The New EU: Do you like it?

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:02 pm

I haven't been buying new Star Wars books in the last couple of years. I know there was a bit of a small earthquake in fandom when it came to Disney tossing out the "old" EU on its ear.

The question in my mind is this: Are the new EU books good? Should I pick them up and start reading them in preparation for Episode VII hitting the big screen? Have any of you started reading them?

Starship Captain

Re: The New EU: Do you like it?

Post by 2046 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:39 am

If you pick up an old EU book, you're confronted with tales that don't feel much like Star Wars, along with various reference drops that don't make any sense to you.

If you pick up a new EU book, it's the exact same thing, and even the reference drops are the same.

That said, I most enjoyed I, Jedi and A New Dawn, though the latter is just a Star Trek book where the Federation is bad and corporatist. I, Jedi feels more like Star Wars.

Khas
Starship Captain

Re: The New EU: Do you like it?

Post by Khas » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:36 pm

I personally liked "A New Dawn", but have yet to pick up more stuff from the New EU.

As for not getting references in the novels, well, I just treat them like "noodle incidents".