It Was Always Garak

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Starship Captain

It Was Always Garak

Post by 2046 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:43 am

I've been playing on Reddit lately, and came across this bit of sheer genius . . . a re-reading of "In the Pale Moonlight" that satisfies all the conditions of the episode but leaving it as Garak, and Garak alone, doing the whole thing other than what we *directly* observe. No dead operatives, no clandestine acquisitions, et cetera.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstit ... tarted_an/

Summary:

1. There were no operatives killed after Garak supposedly contacted them. (As I note in my comment, this works nicely with the fact that a Cardassian resistance cell later survived for a long while.)

2. The sleazy holoforger's work was never supposed to hold up. This was a possibility mentioned in the episode.

3. The data rod need not have been all that authentic . . . but it is also possible Garak already possessed it.

4. There's no biomimetic gel floating around, because Garak used it (or at least most of it) to create an organic explosive that the Romulans wouldn't detect.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Re: It Was Always Garak

Post by Sideswipe » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:38 am

Makes perfect sense to me. Garak is a man of many talents. I always thought his involvement in the Obsidian Order should have been kept more ambiguous.