Captain A: Outta the Freezer & them Magic Cutters

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Captain A: Outta the Freezer & them Magic Cutters

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 13, 2015 4:51 pm

Those devices.
The small pocket torches, that seem to cut through anything.
I got the feeling that they were not only some kind of impressive lightsabres, but that they also opened portals.
It doesn't make sense otherwise, no good character could have evaded Hydra just by jumping in a hole seconds before the bad guys close on them and, for some baffling reason, just don't chase them. Especially in the case Limp Fury against Evil Bucky. What the hell?

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Re: Captain A: Outta the Freezer & them Magic Cutters

Post by Sideswipe » Wed May 13, 2015 5:22 pm

And that is one of the best of the Marvel movies.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 pm

Yes. Many plotholes and contrieved situations, but the characters were solid and the movie was quite stylish, not too over the top when it needed to be tough but measured.
The end is the weakest, and the introduction of Falcon was a bit rushed.

Still, what about those fantastic cutters? Has there been any official explanation about them?
So they use some tesseract-derived tech and are extremely rare or what?
If not for the question of whether or not they produce portals, simply the vast amount of matter that's cut through without much heat, smoke and work done is insane.

I think those torches would have been best explained as working in a similar way to the watches used by the invaders in They Live.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Fri May 15, 2015 4:58 pm

You pose a good question. I guess we are just supposed to go with it, the MCU is more technologically advanced than our own time line. Also, he is Samual L. Nicholas "Fury" Jackson and everyone knows he is a badass. So he has the skills to get away.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 17, 2015 9:23 pm

Sideswipe wrote:You pose a good question. I guess we are just supposed to go with it, the MCU is more technologically advanced than our own time line. Also, he is Samual L. Nicholas "Fury" Jackson and everyone knows he is a badass. So he has the skills to get away.
Badass maybe, but he was kinda injured and escaped his enemy by a few seconds. Said enemy having the resilience and strength of several men and giving Captain A a run for his money.
There's no way in hell Fury could have escaped, especially limp as he was.

I'd like this thing to be confirmed. The main problem being that there's no sign SHIELD had any kind of technology of such power as far as I can remember.
I can accept that only higher ups would have such devices, but that's not explaining anything.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Mon May 18, 2015 3:20 pm

We will never get an explanation. I guess we are supposed to accept that the MCU can do no wrong.