Avengers: Age of Ultron, a well done comedy.

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Avengers: Age of Ultron, a well done comedy.

Post by Sideswipe » Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 am

What did everyone think?

Here are some thoughts of mine, probably spoilers ahead.

This is a movie made only to set up future MCU movies with a little bit of filler added.

Ultron was another in a long line of MCU villains who are not threatening. He should not be making corny jokes. I know people will say he is supposed to sound like Tony Stark, but it just doesn't work. He seems like he should be a henchman.

The romance subplot is really badly done. It comes out of nowhere and it goes nowhere. Its also uninteresting to watch.

Tony Stark should be in prison.

Hawkeye is still pointless even though he gets boring character moments in this movie.

Quicksilver has no reason for being in this movie. He is a pointless character that dies saving another pointless character.

That's all I feel like typing at the moment. I might add more later.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Re: Avengers: Age of Ultron, a well done comedy.

Post by Trinoya » Wed May 13, 2015 11:46 am

I personally enjoyed the movie, although I wish it had had more incorporation with Agents of Shield like the previous Captain America movie.

A solid 8/10

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Not going to watch this crapfest until I know if the Star Wars galaxy is part of the MCU.
Seriously guys, it's quite important here.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Fri May 15, 2015 12:27 am

Considering that we saw "Star Wars" on Captain America's "To Watch" list in "The Winter Soldier", that answer would be "no".

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:12 am

I have no interest in this whatsoever. I am a DC man.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat May 16, 2015 7:38 pm

2046 wrote:I have no interest in this whatsoever. I am a DC man.
Then you must be one happy camper, what with Gotham, and the Green Lantern movie, and Man of Steel... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat May 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
2046 wrote:I have no interest in this whatsoever. I am a DC man.
Then you must be one happy camper, what with Gotham, and the Green Lantern movie, and Man of Steel... :)
The live-action Green Lantern movie sucked. The animated "Green Lantern: Emerald Knights" was much, MUCH better.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat May 16, 2015 10:17 pm

I enjoyed the movie, even if I am more a "DC man", through it lacked the "wow" factor I had with the first movie.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 17, 2015 9:25 pm

2046 wrote:I have no interest in this whatsoever. I am an AC-DC man.
No problem.

On a sidenote;
I've heard that Gotham kinda sucks.
For good or bad, it seems Marvel handles its live action shows with more cleverness.
I'd be more worried about the saturation though.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Mon May 18, 2015 3:13 pm

I kind of gave up on Agents of Shield since the majority of season 1 was such a slog. Honestly I'd rather watch Arrow and Flash than any thing Marvel has on tv.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Agents of Shield is far better than what I've seen of Gatham at the moment, although Arrow (which should have been Batman's beginning since its uses many of Batman's foes) is a solid show that blends the superhero genre well with the drama, IMO...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Sideswipe wrote:I kind of gave up on Agents of Shield since the majority of season 1 was such a slog. Honestly I'd rather watch Arrow and Flash than any thing Marvel has on tv.
AoS is kinda good and bad. I watched it cause I needed something to fill a spot in the evening and with a MCU that has its charm, having a show that tied into that (regardless of the disputes behind the scenes between it and the movie circles), it was nice.
But it wasn't stellar either. It got somehow better towards the end because of the events due to the awakening of Hydra.
I'd say that Whedon might have been pissed off, but it's the Caulson character who carries it all. The guy's just sort of cool and his main arc is nice to follow. In fact, the reveal about his revival was kinda disappointing.
Some episodes were solved way too easily sometimes.
The show feels kinda cheap at times too.
Perhaps the second season is superior. It's not too much of a problem to me when a first season is a slow starter if it builds up nicely, but I totally understand how it can fail to interest people.
I also expected more about Centipede. It's a logic evolution, but feels lacking something bigger, tying in more things beyond a simple series of lab rat experiments.

Thinking of it, it's rather hard to find THE element that makes it shine, the attractive gem that can switch naysayers into followers.
Unfortunately, the show keeps you on the hook with the premise of some revealation but nothing really comes.

Perhaps the Arrow and new Flash are good, but I have such terrible memories of old Superman and Flash. And should we mention Smalltwig?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu May 28, 2015 8:22 am

Sideswipe wrote:Tony Stark should be in prison.
For what?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu May 28, 2015 8:26 am

Age of ultron Review

I went in expecting something that would not be enjoyable, and was pleasantly surprised. I felt the movie had a good flow, the right amount of humor, the backstory for Black widow was good if dark
(I would guess that my knowledge of the comic book origins of the Black Widow made it so I was not surprised at all by the movie origin), and Ultron was well acted and written.

The negatives I saw was that the CGI was at times a bit conspicuous, but it wasn't bad enough to make the movie unenjoyable like Star Wars: Episode Two: Attack of the Clones, and Quick Silver's death seemed pointless, felt flat to me, and there isn't any reason to think he will stay dead anyway.

The movie cost $8 and 2 hours and 20 minutes, no regrets.

+++++

My father felt there was too much fighting, and it was a touch grim for his tastes, but I can see where this comes from. He prefers Guardians of the Galaxy.

+++++

I was not able to figure out why someone would say that Age of Ultron was too focused on setting up future story lines?

+++++

Personal hypothesis

1) The A.I. attached to the Mind Stone was manipulating everyone in order to build an army, and Tony removing it and altering it to create Ultron actually made it less dangerous.

2) Quicksilver is not dead or will be brought back from the dead in the near future. There seemed to be very little blood loss on his part, he has an abnormal metabolism, Fury has a way to bring people back to life and they sort of worked out the bugs, and Quicksilver has a strong connection to the Inhumans in the comics, and most of all Steve did order him to walk it off if any of them were killed.

3) Baron Strucker is much nicer and well meaning man then most of his counter parts in Marvel. Wanda was able to read people's minds to a limited degree, and he showed concern for the twins well being during the movie.

4) The twins always had their powers, but the Mind Stone enhanced them. The twins just happening to have a dud fall just a few meters of them, and then be the only ones to survive enhancement implies there was always something special about them.

5) In Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. we are told that S.H.I.E.L.D. never found precogs and telepaths, but in all likely hood, they purposely failed their tests knowing about Hydra.

7) Vison can grow new body parts if he chooses, and this may lead to a subplot where he contemplates father children. He was married to the Scarlet Witch after all.

+++++

QUOTES
Steve Rogers: You get hurt, hurt 'em back. You get killed... walk it off.
Ultron: Stark asked for a savior, and settled for a slave.

The Vison: I suppose we're both disappointments.

Ultron: [laughs] I suppose we are.

The Vison: Humans are odd. They think order and chaos are somehow opposites and try to control what won't be. But there is grace in their failings. I think you missed that.

Ultron: They're doomed!

The Vison: Yes... but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It is a privilege to be among them.

Ultron: You're unbelievably naive.

The Vison: Well, I was born yesterday.
Clint Barton: The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense.
The Vision: I don't want to kill Ultron. He's unique... and he's in pain. But that pain will roll over the Earth. So he must be destroyed: every form he's built, every trace of his presence on the 'net. We have to act now, and not one of us can do it without the others. Maybe I am a monster. I don't think I'd know if I were one. I'm not what you are and not what you intended. So there may be no way to make you trust me.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:53 pm

Sideswipe wrote:What did everyone think?

Here are some thoughts of mine, probably spoilers ahead.

This is a movie made only to set up future MCU movies with a little bit of filler added.

Ultron was another in a long line of MCU villains who are not threatening. He should not be making corny jokes. I know people will say he is supposed to sound like Tony Stark, but it just doesn't work. He seems like he should be a henchman.

The romance subplot is really badly done. It comes out of nowhere and it goes nowhere. Its also uninteresting to watch.

Tony Stark should be in prison.

Hawkeye is still pointless even though he gets boring character moments in this movie.

Quicksilver has no reason for being in this movie. He is a pointless character that dies saving another pointless character.

That's all I feel like typing at the moment. I might add more later.
Bit late to the party but this about sums it up.
Ultron's lines worked for me, I liked his style, he reminded me of main villains from the 90s cartoons. Meaning he should have been recurring, but like all bad guys, had the lifespan of a fruit fly.
The problematic part being that his plan was so convoluted and impractical. If he can do what he did in such a short time frame, why not do something more efficient then, like build ships and reach for outerspace, multiply at abandon by harvesting metals in deep space mining, and returning with a vengeance? This plot sounded like it was borrowed from Transformers 3 (which means that I did watch that movie too, yes, I know...).
Thor and CA doing some collaborative voodoo with the disc was cool and Iron Man having to face Hulk to calm the green bloke down was cleverly introduced, although not exactly that interesting to watch. Iron Man is a character that has to be so cool that it's hard to feel any tension; all problems are solved with another generation or layer of suit.
Hulk is still boring. MCU is stuck between trying to find reasons to have the Hulk in game and yet make the creature a source of tension. But it never comes to that, no hero is ever remotely threatened by it aside from a woman with no powers who still does manage to escape, then tame the guy with pawn sex. Seriously. The very idea of having Hulk as part of a team kinda kills the concept. I'd rather have him on the run (and not just hiding). The guy should really be a lethal menace, but thus far he's only missing fur to make it to the status of fluffy friend with a bad temper.
And Hawkeye... they're really struggling to find a reason to keep him in, don't they? How many arrows does he have? How the hell was he even one iota relevant against the spam of robots in the end? Hawkeye is a hero on the level of Black Widow and Daredevil. His weapons aren't even that impressive. He needs to be leveled up with some Stark bolty magic or remain a humble sidekick in a Captain Aye movie instead.
Anyways...
That movie was quite a CGI festival with little to no substance at all. That's the distinctive trait of a lot of MCU products.