Star Wars 7, 8, 9 - good or bad idea?

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

Star Wars 7, 8, 9 - good or bad idea?

Post by Sothis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Obviously Disney is pressing ahead with these films and they will be made. The question I put to the floor is - is this a good thing?

They will inevitably make a lot of money so from a business perspective they'll be a good thing (for Disney). But from a story-telling point of view, will they be all that?

Maybe it's me, but episodes 1-6 told a complete story, the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, with the parallel rise and fall of the Empire. I know George Lucas originally had a plan for nine (or even 12) films, but it seems pretty clear he considered the film saga done at 6 once he'd actually made them, as they bookend quite nicely.

Do people share my fears? Or is there more optimism out there than I think there is?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Star Wars 7, 8, 9 - good or bad idea?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:01 pm

I'm the cynical around there. I beleive Lucas moved his fat and did the prequels, plus the CGI show he didn't care to end properly, so as to increase the value of his brand before selling it to the highest bidder, who probably approached him circa 1995 and kept pushing more intensively.

So as for the value of the whole lot, I'm not really impressed. Now, even if the prequels are failures as far as I'm concerned (they globally all suck and I put the first one above all the rest despite its so numerous falws - don't ask), at least as you say, it told a main arc, that of Anakin Skywalker.

The new movies will have to provide an entire new large arc, but it's hard to see the point.
Plus the guy they took for the main role is buttfuck ugly. At least if they had picked someone with the charisma of Denzel Wahsington, I'd have said, mmm why not.
Imagine Book of Eli but with a Jedi and a galaxy gone apeshit after the fall of the Empire, with all local Lords fighting over the leftovers from a completely decrepit economy.
But it's another story of a young lad who has the Force. Black (and really nearly pure African), as he is, means he isn't even connected to the original Skywalker family. (fanboi plot: he's a Windu *wet* *wet* *wet*... not)

I'm seriously thinking about skiping the whole thing if the main role is confirmed.

Dealing with an average but yet good looking actor was hard enough for the prequels, but this time, he looks like shit and with script hack Abwamz JarJar who only delivers good visuals (eye candy in other words), where the hell is this header for?

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I'm the cynical around there. I beleive Lucas moved his fat and did the prequels, plus the CGI show he didn't care to end properly, so as to increase the value of his brand before selling it to the highest bidder, who probably approached him circa 1995 and kept pushing more intensively.

So as for the value of the whole lot, I'm not really impressed. Now, even if the prequels are failures as far as I'm concerned (they globally all suck and I put the first one above all the rest despite its so numerous falws - don't ask), at least as you say, it told a main arc, that of Anakin Skywalker.

The new movies will have to provide an entire new large arc, but it's hard to see the point.
Plus the guy they took for the main role is buttfuck ugly. At least if they had picked someone with the charisma of Denzel Wahsington, I'd have said, mmm why not.
Imagine Book of Eli but with a Jedi and a galaxy gone apeshit after the fall of the Empire, with all local Lords fighting over the leftovers from a completely decrepit economy.
But it's another story of a young lad who has the Force. Black (and really nearly pure African), as he is, means he isn't even connected to the original Skywalker family. (fanboi plot: he's a Windu *wet* *wet* *wet*... not)

I'm seriously thinking about skiping the whole thing if the main role is confirmed.

Dealing with an average but yet good looking actor was hard enough for the prequels, but this time, he looks like shit and with script hack Abwamz JarJar who only delivers good visuals (eye candy in other words), where the hell is this header for?
Um, wow, that was quite a passionate and thorough response!

I actually enjoyed AOTC and ROTS (though TPM, on every re-watch, seems to grow worse), but like you, I can't see where 7 8 and 9 are going. It would make sense to somehow link it to the first 6 films (Obi-wan's ghost, Anakin's ghost, Yoda's ghost anyone?), but Ewan, Hayden and Frank aren't in the cast, so I guess, unless there's a surprise on the way, we are in for, as you say, something new.

I think Episode 7 is due out in Dec 2015. That's going to be a good thing - it won't wind up competing against Age of Ultron, which I think would crush it at the box office.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes, in the US, Age of Ultron would be a very big piece, as it's quite a cultural thing. Much, much less overseas though.

Well, the plot would basically be Luke Skywalker being very rough at the edges and having, somewhat, the responsibility of rebuilding some kind of Jedi Order, but with a new flavour, and above all, find some heir so he could pass the knowledge and be sure of a bright future.
I reall hope they'd change the main actor. Couldn't they pick asian guy from Walking Dead for example? or some semi-Hindu bloke? Or perhaps a young lad who would have a "prince of persia" vibe?

Damn I hate that. JJA sucks. His plots are terrible, really.
His visuals? When you think of it it's mainly because there are mountains of cash injected into the productions that we get top notch CGI. Which has nothing to do with JJA's abilities. There are gazillion people on this planet who have cool ideas, cool concepts and can think of nice looking events in their minds, stories only begging for cash enveloppers in the hundreds of millions (I was already writing plots with moons crashing on planets and devising the entire look and function of ships and bases, plus the roles of layered characters for our RPG sessions well before Vector Prime came out).
JJA doesn't do the 3D, he just gives some orders and gets a fuckton of counsel from people around him.
If they don't change the main role, I'll pass. I'm bitter, yup, but it's sick.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm going to have to jump on the JJ hate bandwagon. I think he is terribly over rated and I have zero confidence in him. People will love the new Star Wars just because its Abrams though and suck his cock telling him how great he is and how he breathed new life into Star Wars just like they did with Star Trek. Despite his firs Star Trek remake being a complete train wreck. If that movie had a different name on it like Michael Bay or Brett Ratner and was exactly the same people would have lined up to trash it like the shitfest it actually was. He doesn't care about story, his visual sense is highly questionable, and he surrounds himself with people that he can take credit for their work.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:34 am

Sothis wrote:Obviously Disney is pressing ahead with these films and they will be made. The question I put to the floor is - is this a good thing?

They will inevitably make a lot of money so from a business perspective they'll be a good thing (for Disney). But from a story-telling point of view, will they be all that?

Maybe it's me, but episodes 1-6 told a complete story, the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker, with the parallel rise and fall of the Empire. I know George Lucas originally had a plan for nine (or even 12) films, but it seems pretty clear he considered the film saga done at 6 once he'd actually made them, as they bookend quite nicely.

Do people share my fears? Or is there more optimism out there than I think there is?
I'm not worried that the movie won't be fun to watch, but that it won't be Star Wars. There shouldn't be bright shiny new technology that wasn't a;ready there, and culturally they don't really care to improve their technology much. Star Wars is more Flash Gordan then future.

The leaked Storm Trooper helmet I've seen makes me weary.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Honestly they don't look bad. It has only to do with the design atm, until we know if there's a better tech inside.
The whole thing smells like EU though.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:51 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Honestly they don't look bad. It has only to do with the design atm, until we know if there's a better tech inside.
It's the high gloss finish that bothers me. Clone and Storm Troop armors have been matt finishes, and I doubt a military would want a high gloss finishes on armor, and it clashes with the matt finishes on Clone and Storm Trooper armors.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Honestly they don't look bad. It has only to do with the design atm, until we know if there's a better tech inside.
It's the high gloss finish that bothers me. Clone and Storm Troop armors have been matt finishes, and I doubt a military would want a high gloss finishes on armor, and it clashes with the matt finishes on Clone and Storm Trooper armors.
Apple probably is the main contractor for ex-imperial infantry gear.
I'm sorry to rain on your parade but helmets in ANH also had the gloss.

Still, the stupidity in suit design was massively abundant during the Napoleonic wars and WWI.
If they really gave a shit about efficiency, they'd ditch the whole white paint you know? :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Apple probably is the main contractor for ex-imperial infantry gear.
I'm sorry to rain on your parade but helmets in ANH also had the gloss.
The Apple products you're thinking aren't military last I checked.

You seem to be correct: http://www.starwars.com/databank/stormtroopers Still it might be the lighting, but the OT pictures don't look anywhere near as bad to me.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Still, the stupidity in suit design was massively abundant during the Napoleonic wars and WWI.
If they really gave a shit about efficiency, they'd ditch the whole white paint you know? :)
It's not paint as I recall, but the color of the naked material the plates are made out of just like the black is the naked body suit.

Given Shinnies was a slang term for clone troopers who hadn't seen combat yet, it stands to reason the armor loses the gloss rather quickly.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:44 am

Lucky wrote:The Apple products you're thinking aren't military last I checked.
Dude, did my joke fly so high above your head?
You seem to be correct: http://www.starwars.com/databank/stormtroopers Still it might be the lighting, but the OT pictures don't look anywhere near as bad to me.
I am correct.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Still, the stupidity in suit design was massively abundant during the Napoleonic wars and WWI.
It's not paint as I recall, but the color of the naked material the plates are made out of just like the black is the naked body suit.
Like it's important if the white is due to paint or the material's natural colour. The important point is the end result, being that unless you're a snowtrooper, you're not going to fancy white armour in the battlefield if you're looking for tactical relevance.
Given Shinnies was a slang term for clone troopers who hadn't seen combat yet, it stands to reason the armor loses the gloss rather quickly.
Could be. Perhaps because they simply get dirty and marked with burns.