Insider #149 & 150 - Blade Squadron

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Insider #149 & 150 - Blade Squadron

Post by Lucky » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:49 am

2046 wrote:I know what you mean and appreciate the thought, but I've done far more quoting than I needed to in that regard, simply with that thought in mind. This being the first work of the new canon I have lavished attention on it . . . future works will not be so quote-filled.

Put simply, if they want to say I'm lying, f*** them. I don't have time for that crap. After all, even with quotes or screenshots or video or whatever, people will try to disagree, claim you're evil, et cetera . . . a few extra words being quoted isn't going to help.

Thanks, though.
It still feels incomplete. Not posting the quotes is like not posting an image when analyzing the image and yet having the image to post.

Think of how worthless this site would be if the author didn't post images on it in many of the areas. The page on storm trooper armor would be completely meaningless. You need to post pictures for the page to be complete.

I can understand why you might not want to post entire pages from the book, but a few lines for each entry would enhance your write up greatly.

If you don't want to write out the quotes, why not scan pages from the book, and then post them as images?

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 am

Lucky wrote:Think of how worthless this site would be if the author didn't post images on it in many of the areas. The page on storm trooper armor would be completely meaningless. You need to post pictures for the page to be complete.
Umm... Not quite sure if you already know, but that's 2046's own site...

Lucky wrote:It still feels incomplete. Not posting the quotes is like not posting an image when analyzing the image and yet having the image to post.
There are actually quite a number of quotes integrated into the paraphrasing of events. They're not how you, for instance, would lay them out and perhaps not as complete or as long. But since this is a "topic review" (<–like that) the style and number of quotes is more than adequate as nothing in specific is being claimed. It's just an organized list of references to usefull information in a specific source, assuming I interpreted the poster's intent correctly. Since this is the case, nothing in particular needs to be proven and the references to page numbers are enough on their own, but the included quotes do add to it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am

Lucky, I'm not sure I understand your point. I guess you're saying that instead of quoting only the necessary parts of a sentence or section regarding some bit of info, you think I need more around it for context or something?

Let's take the B-wing STL drive systems section and a few examples from it:
150 p. 33:"B-wings were assault fighters that maneuvered like freighters, stuffed as they were with avionics packages usually reserved for the smaller capital ships."
That one's just a quote.
150 p. 33:It is said that there are not many options for getting close to a Star Destroyer except heading straight at it, though this may refer primarily to B-wings.34:"All they could do was accelerate toward the target, hoping that at least some of them would get close enough to deliver their payloads."
That one is a paraphrase with a touch of analytics after the comma, then a related quote from the next page.
150 p. 33:The B-wings were moving much too fast for the Devastator's gunners to lock on.
That's a straight paraphrase.

This is all very much more "quoty" than I am in regards to the TCW episodes. The goal is simply to provide a technical summary and commentary.

Can I imagine some inflationist or pure troll crying foul and demanding a quote regarding the last one, for example? Sure I can. But let's face it . . . if you pay attention to the page numbers, the whole story's not more than like a dozen pages long, and I'm probably rivaling it just with what I have. I'm certainly not going to scan it and repost it, that's for sure. "Fair use" only takes one so far, and I have no intention of going further than needed.

So, what to do for the crybaby? Well, for you, you can point him to the material or send him to me. For me, I can show a scan, tell him to go buy it himself, or tell him to go f*** himself as I see fit.

I know that seems overly flippant, but this isn't some situation where some nitwit has gone digging into some little-known work that nobody owns or could possibly hope to find and is making some ridiculous claim off of a sentence or two. This is a complete technical readout of the battlestation, as it were, and the context of my whole analysis alone should be sufficient to dissuade such nitwittery.

If it isn't, then it's pretty clear to me it's a troll just trying to avoid capture, and at that point, especially given the amount of work I put it into it already, I feel quite comfortable with myself telling him to go f*** himself.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:12 am

2046 wrote:Lucky, I'm not sure I understand your point. I guess you're saying that instead of quoting only the necessary parts of a sentence or section regarding some bit of info, you think I need more around it for context or something?

Let's take the B-wing STL drive systems section and a few examples from it:
150 p. 33:"B-wings were assault fighters that maneuvered like freighters, stuffed as they were with avionics packages usually reserved for the smaller capital ships."
That one's just a quote.
150 p. 33:It is said that there are not many options for getting close to a Star Destroyer except heading straight at it, though this may refer primarily to B-wings.34:"All they could do was accelerate toward the target, hoping that at least some of them would get close enough to deliver their payloads."
That one is a paraphrase with a touch of analytics after the comma, then a related quote from the next page.
150 p. 33:The B-wings were moving much too fast for the Devastator's gunners to lock on.
That's a straight paraphrase.

This is all very much more "quoty" than I am in regards to the TCW episodes. The goal is simply to provide a technical summary and commentary.

Can I imagine some inflationist or pure troll crying foul and demanding a quote regarding the last one, for example? Sure I can. But let's face it . . . if you pay attention to the page numbers, the whole story's not more than like a dozen pages long, and I'm probably rivaling it just with what I have. I'm certainly not going to scan it and repost it, that's for sure. "Fair use" only takes one so far, and I have no intention of going further than needed.

So, what to do for the crybaby? Well, for you, you can point him to the material or send him to me. For me, I can show a scan, tell him to go buy it himself, or tell him to go f*** himself as I see fit.

I know that seems overly flippant, but this isn't some situation where some nitwit has gone digging into some little-known work that nobody owns or could possibly hope to find and is making some ridiculous claim off of a sentence or two. This is a complete technical readout of the battlestation, as it were, and the context of my whole analysis alone should be sufficient to dissuade such nitwittery.

If it isn't, then it's pretty clear to me it's a troll just trying to avoid capture, and at that point, especially given the amount of work I put it into it already, I feel quite comfortable with myself telling him to go f*** himself.
I didn't read what you wrote closely enough. Perhaps it might be a good idea to post the quotes in a different color, or something like that in order to make them more obvious?

As far as I'm concerned this is a little known and rare book that no one will read.