Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier Possible Spoilers

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier Possible Spoilers

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 am

I saw it last Friday, and I thought it was a fun movie. It has a lot of things in it that alter the meaning of events and statements in older moves such as Hydra killing Tony's father implying Stane was working with/for Hydra.

Hydra's master plan seems doomed to fail even if they had succeeded in taking out the entire East coast of the United States. They simply seem to be too small in number and out of position to take over the world. If they lost one third of their super-weapon it would require building an entirely new helicarrier.

On top of that their targets included guys like Tony Stark and Dr.Strange. I doubt the Helicarriers would be able to get guys like that.

I suppose the flaws in the plan can be explained by their leadership being insane and or brain damaged. If Hydra was as in control as it was implied it would make more sense to rule the world from the shadows.

I suppose this explains why S.H.I.E.L.D. has never found telepaths and precogs. They all knew S.H.I.E.L.D. had a cancer, and tried to stay hidden.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier Possible Spoilers

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:04 pm

So, this movie is less retarded than the first one? Because, damn, first Captain Tightpants really was cringe worthy, embarrassing and forgettable. Only good thing in it would be the pew pew effects, good enough to plagiarize, somehow.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:53 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
So, this movie is less retarded than the first one? Because, damn, first Captain Tightpants really was cringe worthy, embarrassing and forgettable. Only good thing in it would be the pew pew effects, good enough to plagiarize, somehow.
Define "less retarded" because that really tells me nothing about what you are talking about.

If by retarded you mean the first movie was akin to a clip show of a Sci-Fi version of "Band of Brothers" then yes it is much better.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:35 am

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Define "less retarded" because that really tells me nothing about what you are talking about.

If by retarded you mean the first movie was akin to a clip show of a Sci-Fi version of "Band of Brothers" then yes it is much better.
With hyper sugar coating and really too comics-like to be watchable. All characters and events are terribly fake and over the top. Everything is just too much, and unless you grew reading Captain Tart, it's just too annoying. The whole movie is too farcical. The battles are crap, the enemy doesn't even look like it's a real danger to anyone.
I rolled my eyes so many times that I enlarged my eye sockets by one inch.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 pm

I liked the first one, so screw anyone who hated it... ;)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:59 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: With hyper sugar coating and really too comics-like to be watchable. All characters and events are terribly fake and over the top. Everything is just too much, and unless you grew reading Captain Tart, it's just too annoying. The whole movie is too farcical. The battles are crap, the enemy doesn't even look like it's a real danger to anyone.
You've been rather venomous statement for a movie that was still enjoyable despite its flaws. You may want to think about how you phrase things as this isn't the only post that you've made that comes across that way lately.

CA2: TWS has better choreography, and a more streamlined story. I would call it an action movie with a bit of political or techno thriller thrown in and the right amount of humor provided in the proper way.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: With hyper sugar coating and really too comics-like to be watchable. All characters and events are terribly fake and over the top. Everything is just too much, and unless you grew reading Captain Tart, it's just too annoying. The whole movie is too farcical. The battles are crap, the enemy doesn't even look like it's a real danger to anyone.
You've been rather venomous statement for a movie that was still enjoyable despite its flaws. You may want to think about how you phrase things as this isn't the only post that you've made that comes across that way lately.
Considering that it's totally aimed at the movie itself and nothing else, there is no problem here. If it's venomous it's because I think it's really a mound of smelling turd. Now, if you're a fan of CA1 and don't like my opinion, this is another affair but there's nothing I can do about.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Considering that it's totally aimed at the movie itself and nothing else, there is no problem here. If it's venomous it's because I think it's really a mound of smelling turd. Now, if you're a fan of CA1 and don't like my opinion, this is another affair but there's nothing I can do about.
But your statements have no substance. It's just meaningless inane emotional drivel. You're better then that.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Considering that it's totally aimed at the movie itself and nothing else, there is no problem here. If it's venomous it's because I think it's really a mound of smelling turd. Now, if you're a fan of CA1 and don't like my opinion, this is another affair but there's nothing I can do about.
But your statements have no substance. It's just meaningless inane emotional drivel. You're better then that.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:22 pm

Lucky wrote:
Thanks for the drivel part, fanboy. Actually it's my real, honest opinion so it does not require any further substance than what I typed. It's not like I'm supposed to prove the accuracy of some outstanding scientific theory here.
Geez. :P

That said, the trailer of CA: Freezer Dude looks somewhat nice. Trailers being what they are, I'm cautious, but the overall tone seems to be good enough.
I'm in for the supercarriers.

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:So, this movie is less retarded than the first one? Because, damn, first Captain Tightpants really was cringe worthy, embarrassing and forgettable. Only good thing in it would be the pew pew effects, good enough to plagiarize, somehow.
Why?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 pm

theta_pinch wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:So, this movie is less retarded than the first one? Because, damn, first Captain Tightpants really was cringe worthy, embarrassing and forgettable. Only good thing in it would be the pew pew effects, good enough to plagiarize, somehow.
Why?
Why what?

theta_pinch
Bridge Officer

Post by theta_pinch » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
theta_pinch wrote:
Why?
Why what?
Why was the last movie "retarded," and why was the "first Captain Tightpants really cringe worthy, embarrassing and forgettable

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:02 am

Lucky wrote:I saw it last Friday, and I thought it was a fun movie. It has a lot of things in it that alter the meaning of events and statements in older moves such as Hydra killing Tony's father implying Stane was working with/for Hydra.

Hydra's master plan seems doomed to fail even if they had succeeded in taking out the entire East coast of the United States. They simply seem to be too small in number and out of position to take over the world. If they lost one third of their super-weapon it would require building an entirely new helicarrier.

On top of that their targets included guys like Tony Stark and Dr.Strange. I doubt the Helicarriers would be able to get guys like that.

I suppose the flaws in the plan can be explained by their leadership being insane and or brain damaged. If Hydra was as in control as it was implied it would make more sense to rule the world from the shadows.

I suppose this explains why S.H.I.E.L.D. has never found telepaths and precogs. They all knew S.H.I.E.L.D. had a cancer, and tried to stay hidden.
OK, I finally saw it, and it definitely was better. From the very start, the mood is less stupid. It watches like a Metal Gear Solid meats Deus Ex with some fine dose of comics superhero for good measure.

Those helicarriers can cloack, right? They might have not taken enough people, but they could have easily kept targeting more and more. With many Hydra bases around and at least one of those things up in the air, it would have been real hell on Earth.

The Winter Soldier is very stylish and not too powerful too. A very interesting match for CA.
Perhaps next step will involve some missiles and using more of the magical assets they have in the basement.