No SW HD DVD Now, Maybe Not In The Future

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

No SW HD DVD Now, Maybe Not In The Future

Post by Cpl Kendall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:39 pm

From Digitalbits.com, in the comic con report:
While we're talking Fox, you may recall how we mentioned a few days ago that Lucasfilm producer Rick McCallum told audiences at the Star Wars Celebration convention in Europe recently that the Star Wars films wouldn't be released in high-definition until one format emerged a winner. Industry sources have informed us that McCallum also added that if the high-def format war isn't resolved soon, the company might skip high-def disc altogether and release the films in HD via download only. Yikes!
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocent ... tml#panrep

Thanks to Kurgan on SDN for originally posting the story.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:14 pm

Well, since I already own the movies in DVD, and since the image quality is really good anyway, I feel no reason to by any of the HD movies in the near (or even far) future...

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:17 pm

I won't be buying anything in HD. Like you I own the Movies on DVD and that's fine. I don't own an HDTV anyways and I refuse to pay what they want for one. Half my videos are still on VHS for cripes sake.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:52 pm

Yeah, I'm happy with what I've got. I've got two different sets of VHS tapes for the OT, and all six on DVD as well. I don't see any reason for me to spend even more money.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:57 pm

Given the trend in dropping prices for HDTVs, I suspect that once the price has come down far enough for most people with modest level incomes to buy a large set for their home theater system, you'll then see the SW trilogies finally get a release in HD format.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:10 am

Socar wrote:Yeah, I'm happy with what I've got. I've got two different sets of VHS tapes for the OT, and all six on DVD as well. I don't see any reason for me to spend even more money.
But the HD will reveal that Han did shoot first!

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:03 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Socar wrote:Yeah, I'm happy with what I've got. I've got two different sets of VHS tapes for the OT, and all six on DVD as well. I don't see any reason for me to spend even more money.
But the HD will reveal that Han did shoot first!
In that case, I'm sold! Hell, maybe they'll revise Alderaan's destruction yet again.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Socar wrote:
In that case, I'm sold! Hell, maybe they'll revise Alderaan's destruction yet again.
Did they change it in the first place? I only bought the new DVD's because they have the original theatrical release on disc two and I refuse to show my son Han shooting first or any of the new crap. I prefer the original cut.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:57 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:Did they change it in the first place?
If you're referring to the Alderaan destruction, only if you care about the goofy fire rings and the manner in which the super laser beam strikes the planet, but my comment was mostly made in jest anyway.
I only bought the new DVD's because they have the original theatrical release on disc two and I refuse to show my son Han shooting first or any of the new crap. I prefer the original cut.
Yeah, I sorta wish I had waited instead of buying the first DVD's that were released (I should've known Lucas was yanking my chain), but I just couldn't justify spending more money on the OT at this point, especially since my original edition VHS tapes are still in good condition. The only drawback (besides the fact that they're on VHS) is that they are in full screen instead of my preferred widescreen. If only I had gotten the laser disc version. Oh well.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:50 pm

Socar wrote:
Yeah, I sorta wish I had waited instead of buying the first DVD's that were released (I should've known Lucas was yanking my chain), but I just couldn't justify spending more money on the OT at this point, especially since my original edition VHS tapes are still in good condition. The only drawback (besides the fact that they're on VHS) is that they are in full screen instead of my preferred widescreen. If only I had gotten the laser disc version. Oh well.
I also bought the first DVD set that came out, with the special edition OT, but like you, I still have the original OT on VHS.
Unlike you though, mine are the THX Widescreen ones... Nyah Nyah! ;)

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:21 am

Having seen the SW movies in HD on cable, I can say with certainty that there is a distinct and worthwhile difference in quality from DVD to HD. I've got the whole series on my DVR in HD, and I will most definitely be first in line when they are released on whatever form of HD DVD comes out the winner.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:50 am

I've seen a few movies in HD, and I do think it is worthwhile; the quality is way better than a DVD, with the image being far more sharper and crisper. I think some of you guys who think otherwise need to head to a electronics store that showcases HDTVs (with HD content) to truly appreciate the difference. Not to mention how much of the movie is lost view pan & scan; watching a VHS or full screen DVD version means you are literally losing half the movie because they can't fit on a SD TV. Plus, some of the better HD movies are going to have full blown 7.1 lossless surround sound. This is way better than the mp3 quality sound found on nearly all DVDs.

So dismissing the HD version of the SW series is, IMHO, simply folly. It's like saying I'll never go to a movie theater because the DVD version will be "good enough," never to realize what you've been missing out.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:36 am

I think that nobody doubt that the HD DVD version would be better than the DVD version.

The question is, if it would be so far better that it would be worthwhile to buy the new version if one has already the old version.

That depends - above all - on the price the new version will cost and how important for someone is STAR WARS in life.

If one has already the old version and has seen it innumerable times and knows the movies so that they will be watched in future only seldom, the need for the new version is relativ small.

And if it is only to see how far better the new version is, one can still rent the new version.

After all, how often does one watch the movies?

And thereafter, one can still decide if it is worthwhile to buy the new version and put it beside the old version in the media rack.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:54 am

Who is like God arbour wrote:I think that nobody doubt that the HD DVD version would be better than the DVD version.

The question is, if it would be so far better that it would be worthwhile to buy the new version if one has already the old version.

That depends - above all - on the price the new version will cost and how important for someone is STAR WARS in life.

If one has already the old version and has seen it innumerable times and knows the movies so that they will be watched in future only seldom, the need for the new version is relativ small.

And if it is only to see how far better the new version is, one can still rent the new version.

And thereafter, one can still decide if it is worthwhile to buy the new version and put it beside the old version in the media rack.
I would say this: If you bought the DVD version after already owning the VHS, then going to the HD version will be worthwhile to you.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:49 am

Nonamer wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:I think that nobody doubt that the HD DVD version would be better than the DVD version.

I would say this: If you bought the DVD version after already owning the VHS, then going to the HD version will be worthwhile to you.
Preach on, brother. Even if you're only going to watch the movies once in a while, wouldn't you want to have the best experience possible when the urge strikes? I bought the DVD trilogy when it released, and I've watched it maybe twice. But anytime I feel like watching Star Wars, I want to see it in the best possible situation - and seeing as I don't have a movie theater, right now that's DVD. For me personally it would be worth it to buy the HD DVD versions, even if I only watched them a few times. Maybe that's just me, though.