No SW HD DVD Now, Maybe Not In The Future

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:16 pm

From what I understand, the lightsabre effects were completely fucked up in the DVD versions of TESB and ROTJ.

Just a well planned reason to buy the HDs vids?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:31 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:From what I understand, the lightsabre effects were completely fucked up in the DVD versions of TESB and ROTJ.

I assume you mean in the "Special Edition" discs because they were fine on the dics containing the original theatrical release.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:41 pm

And they seem pretty fine to me in the special edition DVD set.
That said,

Nonamer wrote:
I would say this: If you bought the DVD version after already owning the VHS, then going to the HD version will be worthwhile to you.
I bought the DVD because most of my 300+ movies have been watched twice, and a few of them 5-10 times or more.
A VHS starts going "grainy" after a while, so DVDs are better.
Also, you have many "special features" on DVDs, such as "making off"s of the movies, etc..., which you rarely, if ever, have on VHS.

You can watch only the scenes you want, the image quality was much better on the same darn TV set (no need to by all whole new TV, disk player, whatever), you only need to by a DVD player.

So ,sorry, but to me the move isn't the same.

And I'm pretty sure it isn't worth the price (40$ for 1 movie, and how much for a HD widescreen TV and HD or Blue ray player?)...
Last edited by Praeothmin on Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:49 pm

I heard they rushed the job on the effects for the new DVD's so that may explain a few errors. I haven't watched them so I don't know, I only watch the original release as explained earlier.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:03 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:From what I understand, the lightsabre effects were completely fucked up in the DVD versions of TESB and ROTJ.

I assume you mean in the "Special Edition" discs because they were fine on the dics containing the original theatrical release.
Read this (4 pages).

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:47 pm

I should have said "for the Lowry DVD's" but now that I've seen this page I can see that the effects in the Special Edition for the lightsabers in ANH were not that far off from the orginal release. Thanks for the link.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:13 pm

HAHA, that's lovely. They lifted the shuttle bay scenes in ESB directly from ROTJ. Oh man, what were they thinking. That's right up there with reusing the ST:VI BOP death scene for Generations.