Strange New Worlds

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Sothis
Bridge Officer

Strange New Worlds

Post by Sothis » Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 pm

So, a new Star Trek series, possibly one of the worst kept secrets, has been announced today.

https://intl.startrek.com/news/star-tre ... all-access

It will continue to explore pre-TOS events, only this time from a more familiar setting.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm

It was no secret because that was the obvious goal from the beginning given how much money was spent on building all new sets, retaining the Mount, Romijn, and Peck, the Short Treks, etc. And of course the TPTB even said that if the demand from fans was enough they'd go ahead with a Pike series. Some people would even say that this is what should've been done from the get-go instead of Discovery.
-Mike

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sat May 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:56 pm
It was no secret because that was the obvious goal from the beginning given how much money was spent on building all new sets, retaining the Mount, Romijn, and Peck, the Short Treks, etc. And of course the TPTB even said that if the demand from fans was enough they'd go ahead with a Pike series. Some people would even say that this is what should've been done from the get-go instead of Discovery.
-Mike
I dare say you're right, there are people who would argue this would have been a better vision for DSC. However, I remain glad that DSC has its own distinct identity, whilst SNW will have its own unique identity.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm

Strange New Worlds will never get made.

Picard578
Padawan

Post by Picard578 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Sideswipe wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm
Why? Hollywood and their ilk were never against new cash cows... especially illogical and idiotic ones, like new productions almost invariably end up being.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:34 pm

Sideswipe wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:57 pm
What leads you to that conclusion?

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:28 pm

It's exactly like the Section 31 series that was definitely getting made. They announced it as a way to try and drum up interest for CBS all access' utter failures so far. CBS can't even get international distribution on Lower Decks. Netflix passed on Picard, and Lower Decks, Amazon passed on lower decks. Rumors abound that Discovery is done and Picard may not even get a second season. Especially after reporting that the audience for Picard dropped by nearly half from the first episode to the last on Canadian television. The U.S. market is bigger of course but I can't see it doing much better proportionately. I could very well be wrong but I don't see this happening.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:54 am

I'm not sure I'd place any stock in the naysayer rumours. DSC was apparently cancelled after season 2, and yet season 3 will begin soon. Any of the doom and gloom coming out of the usual suspects is dubious at best.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am

There is the rest of the stuff I mentioned as well that is not rumors.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 am

Sideswipe wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am
Hehe. As Doomcock says, any more "success" like ST:D and CBS will have to sell shoes out of their car in East LA. Not to mention the premier of ST:D being broadcasted on American television apparently saw it losing in ratings to reality tv reruns. So I'd have to agree with being skeptical on any new spin-off actually getting off the ground.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 am
Sideswipe wrote:
Hehe. As Doomcock says, any more "success" like ST:D and CBS will have to sell shoes out of their car in East LA. Not to mention the premier of ST:D being broadcasted on American television apparently saw it losing in ratings to reality tv reruns. So I'd have to agree with being skeptical on any new spin-off actually getting off the ground.
Personally, I'd take anything Doomcock says with a grain of salt the size of Pluto. The guy's a clickbait-artist who could give Buzzfeed a run for their money.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Khas wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:05 pm
sonofccn wrote:
Sideswipe wrote:
Personally, I'd take anything Doomcock says with a grain of salt the size of Pluto. The guy's a clickbait-artist who could give Buzzfeed a run for their money.
He got a lot right about The Rise of Skywalker before it came out.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm

Khas wrote:
sonofccn wrote:
Sideswipe wrote:
Agreed. He fell hook line and sinker for a Reddit deception because it suited his narrative, and he was exposed as a fool in the process. There's no reason to doubt the arrival of SNW, and there's increased chatter that DSC Season Four is about to be greenlit.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:27 am

Khas wrote:
sonofccn wrote:
Sideswipe wrote:
I don't know, from what I've seen he's been pretty accurate. Certainly more so than the cheerleaders for Discovery have been.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 am

Sothis wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:04 pm
Khas wrote:
sonofccn wrote:

Agreed. He fell hook line and sinker for a Reddit deception because it suited his narrative, and he was exposed as a fool in the process. There's no reason to doubt the arrival of SNW, and there's increased chatter that DSC Season Four is about to be greenlit.
I mean other than the fact they seem to announce a lot of shows that hang in limbo, that "successful" franchises don't usually constantly try to assert how successful they are. I mean it isn' t like DS9, VOY and ENT all were announced and "greenlit" in TNG's third season afterall. And instead there's this misama of desperation to these announcements. A sort of "Yeah, everything's totally fine. We're greenliting another series!" which, Doomcock or no, I find less than encouraging. Coupled with I don't think I've ever seen any measurable metric that says ST:D is a success and virtually any time we get something that could be a metric, like actual tv ratings, they are lukewarm at best if not miserable. Even getting renewed for a new season hardly means much as the comic book industry proved the powers that be will happily throw money for projects that drive away their audience seeing losing profit as almost a virtue if they're sticking it to the "right kind of people".

So while you are certainly entitled to believe that SNW could happen, and yeah it might, I think skeptcism is easily also justifiable in this instance.