Strange New Worlds

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Strange New Worlds

Post by Khas » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 am

While it's true that it hasn't been all sunshine and roses with Discovery (and to a far lesser extent, Picard), Doomcock has also been known to just make shit up, creating a narrative that blends truth and lies (see Eckhart's Ladder chewing him out over this) in order to get more people angry, and thus, boost his view-count. So, while it hasn't been smooth-sailing... it's also nowhere near as bad as people like Doomcock and Nerdrotic make it out to be.

And on a slightly-different note, Lower Decks has had a far, FAR, warmer reception than the other modern Trek shows.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:47 am

I don't see any reason to doubt these shows will happen. There's the problem of the pandemic affecting pretty much everything, but given DSC now seems likely to get a season four (which also rather contradicts the doom and gloom of Doomcock et al), it seems there's enough success with the new shows for the studio to keep making them.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:28 am

Khas wrote:While it's true that it hasn't been all sunshine and roses with Discovery (and to a far lesser extent, Picard), Doomcock has also been known to just make shit up, creating a narrative that blends truth and lies (see Eckhart's Ladder chewing him out over this) in order to get more people angry, and thus, boost his view-count. So, while it hasn't been smooth-sailing... it's also nowhere near as bad as people like Doomcock and Nerdrotic make it out to be.
Well I suppose the issue is I haven't seen anything that meaningfully contradicts the picture they paint. As I mentioned to Sothis, just about anything we get any kind of hard metric data NuTrek is either lackluster or downright bad. Whether we're talking CBS all access youtube views for their Trek content or TV ratings.

sothis wrote:I don't see any reason to doubt these shows will happen.
I mean that's fine, I'm just kind of curious why you feel this way. What evidence have you seen?

Because, from my perspective, things don't look fine. At this point Kurtzman seems more in the business of announcing new shows than actually making them. Which makes me think its a case of the "Lady does protest too much" rather than an actual sign of vitality.

Now that could be the pandemic, as you note, but if so then it hardly seems to make sense to add another show on top if you're already having trouble getting the prior one up and running. And if shifting to a show centered around TOS-legacy character is that paramount that doesn't seem to speak especially well for ST:D.

Further it just seems strange. Even if Kurtzman wanted to do a "Marvel" you'd think they'd focus on building/expanding upon the show's universe. Introducing characters and then spinning them off onto their own series. Just like Marvel did with their Netflix characters. But not only does that not apply to any of the two shows actually made and released following ST:D but both draw more upon "The Next Generation" in one form or another than they directly do from "Discovery".

It would be like getting a new show centered around Kirk's continuing adventures and an animated show about 23rd century starfleet in TNG's second season. It would be hard to see that as not some kind of attempted pivot or distancing.
There's the problem of the pandemic affecting pretty much everything, but given DSC now seems likely to get a season four (which also rather contradicts the doom and gloom of Doomcock et al), it seems there's enough success with the new shows for the studio to keep making them.
I'm not really sure a new season means the show is a "success" in the financial sense. Companies do things for reasons other than making a simple profit. For one example just look at the Gillette CEO who thought alienating paying customers and taking a 8 billion dollar loss was "worth paying".

As for a fourth season, I'll believe it when I see it.

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Post by Sideswipe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:59 pm

Sothis wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:47 am
I don't see any reason to doubt these shows will happen. There's the problem of the pandemic affecting pretty much everything, but given DSC now seems likely to get a season four (which also rather contradicts the doom and gloom of Doomcock et al), it seems there's enough success with the new shows for the studio to keep making them.
What's the excuse for the Section 31 show that they were "definitely going to make" that never went anywhere? You can't blame the virus on that one.

This is a perfect example why doubting this show will ever happen is valid. We have an example of them announcing a show that never got made and will never get made. People love to ride Doomcock when he says "take this as a rumor" and if it doesn't come true than he is a liar, but CBS' actions don't paint the picture of a successful show. Successful shows don't need to put their episodes on youtube for free to get people to watch them. Amazon, Netflix HBO, etc. don't do this. We have numbers of first run Picard episodes that are not good. We now have numbers for Discovery, and they are garbage too. Now you can hand wave that by saying people have already watched it and all that, but when it gets beat by other re-run shows, that's not a good sign.