So that Star Wars VIII... [probably spoilers]

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Jedi Knight

So that Star Wars VIII... [probably spoilers]

Post by 359 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:27 am

I'll start by saying I'm pretty critical when it comes to movies, and often in a slightly-off-convention fashion.

That said the movie's content was about 3 seconds long: "The force is resurging through Ray and Kylo as a Dark/Light pair," which was 100% expected. The other two hours is just an entrée honey baked ham-fisted fan service with a side of shoe-horned comedy.

But for us it gives some interesting technical tidbits.

Jedi Knight

Re: So that Star Wars VIII... [probably spoilers]

Post by 359 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:32 am

I will follow this up by saying I did quite enjoy the movie.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:53 pm

I enjoyed the movie. Much more than The Force Awakens. Though the elements of the movie are familiar, at least the pieces were moved around, unlike the force awakens.

The opening battle over D'Qar was fun. I enjoyed that someone finally has a full sized heavy bomber, the B/SF 17, you know, the ship that looks kind of like a B-17, with fewer guns. It does hold a lot of proton bombs though. The Mandator IV was... Unimpressive to say the least. It died as it lived. A set piece battle. And for something with guns larger than many whole starships, it didn't seem that scary in the grand scheme of things.

After the opening the pacing seemed weird, as the movie is mostly one big chase scene.

The final battle on Krayt felt like an odd mix of the Battle of Hoth and a land battle version of the Battle of Yavin.

Iscander
Padawan

Post by Iscander » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 am

*Crait not Krayt

Also I may actually like the Supremacy. Not only is it terrifyingly huge and imposing, it comes with a unique feature.

Accurate long range gunnery. And against relatively small vessels at that.

Darth Spock
Bridge Officer

Post by Darth Spock » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:49 am

Ok, so I haven't actually read anything on this page yet, I'd just like to ask a quick question. It's rather subjective I know, but would anyone say TLJ has any noteworthy spoilers in it? I mean major "I am your father" grade stuff? I ask because I won't be making it to a theater any time soon, and the novel won't be out until about the same time as the disc release. I'd like to just try to get up to speed with plot synopsis and tech analysis sooner than later. I don't think I ever did get caught up to speed after a similar late start on TFA, and I still had Han's fate revealed early despite trying to avoid spoilers, not that that alone would stop me now, in retrospect.

So yeah, anything really "WOW" worthy in this that's worth crawling into my hole for to get the full experience, or just "meh?"

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:29 pm

I wouldn't say there are any *huge* spoilers to be had, maybe some medium level stuff.

Jedi Knight

Post by 359 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:43 pm

The problem I have with the Mandator IV dreadnaught and the Supremacy is that they feel like ridiculous ships I would make up as a kid just after seeing star wars: "well, it's going to be 10x the size of a Stardestroyer and have these huge guns..." In other words, just lame fan service. Existing like that only for the "wow" and not for the story or universe. I had that gripe with TFA and Starkiller base, but that was just one thing (and they intentionally made fun of it), I could go with that. However this movie is just chocked full of it.

And it's not just the starships, it's also the Force, BB-8 shenanigans, the rebel base, and that silly miniaturized-Death Star "ram." That last one is probably why the scene felt like a mash up, because it literally was.
After the opening the pacing seemed weird, as the movie is mostly one big chase scene.
Ah yes, the Battlestar Galactica bit.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:34 pm

Iscander wrote:*Crait not Krayt

Also I may actually like the Supremacy. Not only is it terrifyingly huge and imposing, it comes with a unique feature.

Accurate long range gunnery. And against relatively small vessels at that.
RIP Star Wars

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:38 pm

359 wrote:I had that gripe with TFA and Starkiller base, but that was just one thing (and they intentionally made fun of it)
Like it would help. :/
Actually it's a verifiable rule: self-deprecation is usually the glaring the sign that a franchise is taking a nose dive.