Original Star Trek Gets CGI Upgrades for HD Syndicated Retur

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Original Star Trek Gets CGI Upgrades for HD Syndicated Retur

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:44 pm

Some of you are probably already aware of this development, but for those who aren't, or haven't been able to find much information:

http://trekweb.com/articles/2006/08/31/ ... ades.shtml

Note the publicity CGI photo of the Enterprise. I post it here since this could have a serious impact on the evidence used for the Versus debates.
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:17 am

It would be worth posting regardless. This forum isn't restricted to VS debates, after all.

It's interesting, but I suspect it won't change very much; the basic issues will remain the same.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:27 am

I just re-watched "The Balance of Terror" (the first episode being redone) and I hope they will correct the use of torpedo footage when it is phasers that are being fired. Also, maybe the Enterprise should lose the video feed once outpost four is destroyed. A visual of the explosion would be cool too, if they keep it powerful enough to completely destroy a base under a mile of iron in a single shot.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to it with some optimism. After all, they can't redo the stories.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 pm

I would rather that the phaser blasts shown in BoT be left as bolts, rather than the long energy beams since they are supposed to be firing in proximity blast mode, and we have seen in ST:FC, as well as DS9 phasers fire in a similar energy bolt form.
-Mike

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:49 am

They also use the "pulse ranged mode" in other season 1 episodes, like in Errand of Mercy. So I guess the Enterprise did have WWII AA gun ranged charge firing mode. Though I thought the Defiant's pulse phasers were pretty much like normal phasers only 1.5 times more powerful.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:00 am

Word has it now that the FX shots will largely mirror the originals. Here's a sample of what's upcoming:

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/TrekSE.mov

The difference in clarity almost makes my eyes hurt!
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:16 pm

From: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/n ... tml?page=1

In "Balance of Terror," Kirk orders the ship to fire phasers, but we see photon torpedoes. Are you going to fix this?

You know, this is the first thing that we wanted to do when we started working on this episode. But then we started studying the episode more closely and discovered a number of things. First, Kirk orders "proximity phasers" to be used. This is the only time in the entire series where he does so. Second, the phasers behave differently than normal. They fire into space, then explode like depth charges. This is clearly the intention of the writer and director [Paul Schneider and Vincent McEveety respectively], since the episode is based on submarine movie metaphors.

Finally, the sound effects clearly dictate the timing of the weapon firing, and we very early decided that we did not want to mess with the soundtrack. As a result, we thought the best approach was to use a different phaser effect than is seen in the rest of the series. The new proximity phasers will have longer bolts than they did in the original "Balance of Terror," but they will still be tied to the original sound effects.

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:36 pm

What about "Errand of Mercy" when they use the same visuals with no mention "proximity phasers."

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:19 pm

Those can probably be changed, or use said new proximity phaser FX under the assumption that they are same weapon mode. Either way is fine since it really wouldn't be a continuity error.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:30 am

Check out this advertisement/preview thingy for what appears to be the effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp70DS7FBqk&eurl=

It comes at the end.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:42 am

Wow! That looks real sweet...
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:36 pm

First look at the new effects from episode screenshots:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:11 pm

When are these TOR eps airing? I thought it was on the 8th, but what aired was the old version. I had thought it was weird that the only place I could find the eps were on TVLand.

Socar
Bridge Officer

Post by Socar » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:22 pm

GStone wrote:When are these TOR eps airing? I thought it was on the 8th, but what aired was the old version. I had thought it was weird that the only place I could find the eps were on TVLand.
From what I read, I thought they were being aired starting on the 16th, not the 8th. I heard from some people that it's being aired on G4 (among other channels). For my area, the first episode they're showing ("Balance of Terror") will be shown again on a local station of ours on the 24th.

Keep in mind that while the 40th anniversary itself was on the 8th, I don't believe that's when they were showing the episode.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:19 pm

From what I saw a few days ago, and from the various screencaps floating around, there isn't a whole lot to worry about here so far from a technological assessment standpoint. The plasma torpedo evens starts from off-center and ends up manuevering down to center in the viewscreen view, and it even dissipates from the center outward as the original FX scenes showed.
-Mike