Movie, anime and series review

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Movie, anime and series review

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Which ones do you like most?
Even obscure ones count.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Sun May 06, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Movie, anime and series review boards

Post by Lucky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:32 am

Manga
I like the Ranma 1/2. It is a depressing tail about a group of people with untreated mental illness and super powers. It is very rare that an author accurately portray the extremely mentally ill accurately.

Chibi Vampire is a cute romance series with a lot of humor, and a touch of horror.

Gun Smith Cats is very well done. The attention to detain is simply amazing. You would think the author actually lived in Chicago.

Ah My Goddess is an interesting twist on folklore, myths, legends and religion all while having that stuff only in the background.

Star Trek The Manga follows Captain Jame T. Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise on several adventures.

El-hazard is a neat Sci-Fi with some interesting temporal paradoxes in it.

Anime
Ah My Goddess is an interesting twist on folklore, myths, legends and religion all while having that stuff only in the background.

The Slayers is a great swords and sorcery series. It is mostly adventure and comedy, but has a little bit of everything.

Slayers Try see above

Slayers Next see above

Magic Knights Rayearth is note worthy if only because the magical girls actually realize what the price is to become queen of the magical land, how horrable such a fate would be, and turn it down in the end.

Outlaw Star is a good series about the main character growing up, and becoming a man. Even the filler is good.

Giant Robo the animation is pretty good. Has some pretty good twists and turns.

Kiki's Delivery Service is a well made story about growing up. It has a bit of everything.

Devil Hunter Yoko is a series about a teenage who is forced by the forces of darkness to carry on her families tradition of fighting the forces of darkness because they just won't leave her alone. It's an action comedy that has many similarities to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and I think this anime may have helped inspire the writer of BTVS.

Cartoons
Green Lantern: First Flight is a reasonably well done retelling of Hal Jordan becoming the first Human Green Lantern.

Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme is a well animate movie that is a well made version of Doctor Strange's origin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Str ... er_Supreme

The Invincible Iron Man is an interesting and original take on the Iron Man origin story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invinc ... Man_(film)

Any part of the DCAU. It is a well made set of cartoons. Best Joker ever.
http://dcanimated.wikia.com/wiki/DC_Animated_Universe

Invader Zim is a wonderfully grim dark series that is actually funny.

Avatar The Last Air Bender is a well written show.

Live Action TV
Myth Busters is a show where special effects artists try to see if things like urban legends are true. The hosts personalities mesh well, the science is interesting, and the show is visually interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters

3rd Rock From The Sun is a story about aliens sent to study the Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Rock_from_the_Sun

Early Star Gate SG-1 is good, but once the Replicators become the big bads it goes down hill.

Live Action Movies

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 am

Someone else likes AMG. Kudos, Lucky.

Cartoons:

Powerpuff Girls. I'm not sure why really. Mojo amuses the heck out of me with his horrible Engrish, and like all good cartoons, there's something there for adults to enjoy. I seriously doubt all the kiddies got the various references from "Meet the Beat-Alls."

Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I have a twisted mind.

Space Ghost Coast to Coast. See above. Something about random chaos amuses me. If the world ever ends, I'll be laughing all the way down.

Anime:

Card Captor Sakura. Just plain adorable. Sakura seems to occupy a world where evil simply doesn't exist. There's no real antagonist in the story. It's just a slice of life series, if your life is that of a ten year old mahou shoujo.

Galaxy Angel. Ludicrous, reality twisting slapstick comedy in the vein of ATHF combined with merciless parody of, well, pretty much everything. Seriously, it takes shots at every anime cliche you can think of.

Ah My Goddess. It's a cutesy rom-com, if you're into that sort of thing.

Powerpuff Girls Z. I liked the original PPG. I like the anime adaptation for all the things it does differently (and some things it does, in my opinion, better. Mojo gets nerfed, but HIM is much more threatening.)

Anything by Studio Ghibli, though special mention goes to Grave of the Fireflies.

Akira.

Rin Taro's Metropolis.

TV Series:

CSI. I'm a CSI junkie, I admit. Guess how often I've passed voir dire.

Star Trek. Duh.

Movies:

Too many to list.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Movies: Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars (even Phantom Menace), Saving Private Ryan, Space Cowboys (and any other Clint Eastwood's movie I watched so far), any documentary, especially history-themed, any history-theed movie

Cartoons: Tom&Jerry (good memories), Star Drek (Star Trek cartoon parody made in Croatia during ivo Sanader's reign; it features starship Franjo Tudjman, commanded by Captian Ivo Sanader, first officer Jadranka Kosor; rest of crew are local Klingon Branimir Glavas who... well, disagrees with something and is removed from the crew (watch episodes if you want, I don't want to soil it too much. Quite fun.), any other classic

Series: Star Trek, CSI: Miami, any documentary series, especially military history-themed

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Which ones do you like most?
Even obscure ones count.
this thread has been driving me crazy.
people are listing their favorite movies, anime, and series here, but it seems to me you're asking for people to list boards that review those things.

?

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sat May 05, 2012 6:33 pm

What? No Ergo Proxy? No Code Geass? Not even the fucking Big O? What the hell guys? What sort of anime do you watch? Not even Darker than Black either...jeez. Not even a token mention of Soul Eater.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sat May 05, 2012 6:54 pm

What anime do I watch?
Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Vampire Hunter D
Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo (It's a guilty pleasure)

I've only seen bits and pieces of Code Geass and The Big O, heard a little bit of Darker than Black, and I've never even heard of Ergo Proxy.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 am

I think I caught an episode of Big O once. Never seen any of the others except Evangelion, which I'm not really a fan of.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 am

anime:

el hazard: the ova, not the wanderers. i wasn't a huge fan of the second ova or the third, either. but the original is a lot of fun and was actually my first anime. i don't count the movie version of akira.

tenchi muyo: again, the original ova.

death note.

vandread.

full metal alchemist.

i actually loved evangelion. i was not a fan of the death and rebirth movie, i thought end of evangelion was good up til the point at which asuka died.

hell girl. but that one is weird.

serial experiment: lain.

cartoons:

tom and jerry. but only the ones that played in theaters.

space ghost coast to coast. i can't believe someone else mentioned that. are you aware of the gametap episodes? there are some great lines.
space ghost: my guest tonight is billy mitchell, who beat pac-man without missing a single point or losing a single life. huh. *chuckle* his parents must be brimming with pride.

sealab 2021.

aqua teen hunger force.

the brak show.

the venture bros., seasons one and two.

archer. the altered pilot, in which archer is replaced by a velociraptor, is maybe the funniest thing i have ever seen in my life.

aeon flux.

beavis and butthead, old and new.

the napoleon dynamite cartoon. underrated.

we enjoyed avatar as a family.

batman: tas

superman: tas

justice league: seasons one and two.

90s spider-man

90s x-men

so much more.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun May 06, 2012 4:56 am

Hey mojo, see Rebuild of Evangelion yet?

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Re: Movie, anime and series review

Post by TheRainKing777 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:39 am

Battletoads: Awesome

TMNT: Nope

My Little Pony: Pretty sweet. Fluttershy is my favorite! Word on the street is they're gonna make a pony called Marty McFly. He's gonna be a time-traveling pony that goes back in time by accident and has to make sure his parents still bump uglies (private parts) so that he is born in the present. CRAZY STUFF!

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 am

Khas wrote:Hey mojo, see Rebuild of Evangelion yet?
bought it a month or two ago, but by that time nick and i had moved on to the anime version of death note, so it sits on the shelf so far.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:03 am

I saw the Dark Shadows movie with Johnny Depp last night. It seemed really stupid to me. Is it just me or does this guy keep making the same damn movie over and over? That and that lady who plays the doctor is in all of them. This is insanity. How does he still have a career? That's the same guy from those pirate movies. Let me tell you something... if they were wearing those prissy clothes when I was a kid they'd get their behind whooped from here to Timbucktoo.. Men are cool for dressing like women, women want to be men, this is just plain dumb. I'm tired of it. We need movies for men where things die, cigars are smoked and women are defenseless, pretty and half-dressed.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:25 am

i was thinking about seeing that on friday night.

TheRainKing777
Bridge Officer

Post by TheRainKing777 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 am

mojo wrote:i was thinking about seeing that on friday night.
Don't pay money to see it. I wouldn't. It's like a bad version of the Munsters.