The Remastered "Doomsday"!

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

The Remastered "Doomsday"!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:23 pm

AFT
Bridge Officer

Post by AFT » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Indeed. It looks good. Personally I regard this episode as the best ever from TOS. Perhaps because I love space battles (good ones, of course).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:30 pm

I'am just really happy that the Constellation is now a proper Connie, not a hastily slapped together, painted, and damaged with soldering iron AMT model. :-)
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:39 pm

That looks sweet, cant wait for saturday now. You know our warsie friends will still insist that a few shots from an ISD will easily destroy that thing , On a lighter note I had someone tell me once that if the Death Star got a lucky enough shot down that things maw, the superlaser blast would ricochet around tearing up the innards before bouncing back out towards the Death Star at nearly full strength ;)

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:30 am

Just finished watching the episode, wonderful. The PK looked scarier than it did in the original, the maneuvers of the ships were impressive, the shuttle leaving the Enterprise was cool beyond belief, and the explosion from the PK was perfect. All in all a real keeper.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Damn it, I can't believe they still aren't showing the remastered eps where I live.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:05 pm

That was just awesome work by CBS Digital! Not perfect, but still very, very awesome! For those who missed the initial airing, here is the FX reel posted on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSdpJO4Ylzo

I know it's on HDTV quality, but it still looks really good here. Enjoy! :-)
-Mike

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:36 pm

I really liked the way they did these effects. It respected the old material, while at the same time making a favorite episode fresh.

I can't wait to see what they do with "The Ultimate Computer"!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:59 pm

I think overall the old style FX has been respected in the remastered series. But here in in TDM CBS Digital really outdid itself compared to previous efforts. Nice continuity touch: the planet killer really is "miles long" now, not a few km. Also Decker's shuttle is more reasonably sized, not half the size of a Connie! ;-)

Oh, and another bit of really amazing work is when Kirk walks in front of the viewscreen and the new touched up FX blends absolutely seemlessly with the live-action footage! Absolutely first-rate work!
-Mike

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:27 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I think overall the old style FX has been respected in the remastered series. But here in in TDM CBS Digital really outdid itself compared to previous efforts. Nice continuity touch: the planet killer really is "miles long" now, not a few km. Also Decker's shuttle is more reasonably sized, not half the size of a Connie! ;-)

Oh, and another bit of really amazing work is when Kirk walks in front of the viewscreen and the new touched up FX blends absolutely seemlessly with the live-action footage! Absolutely first-rate work!
-Mike
Have you seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HSYC6Wlbv8

These people say Paramount contacted them in the early 90's to do TOS SE episodes.

EDIT: This is from 2003:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9XHmj-dPEY

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:11 pm

I've seen them. Thanks for those links, I should've included them earlier. Daren's work is always fantastic, which is why his work in the Ships of the Line calendar series is always a big treat. I also appreciate how Daren has posted the CGI models from ST:ENT on places like Sci-Fi Flare. It really gives you a better look at them, and really see how much work went into them. Even the unfinished "retro" Klingon battlecruiser that was intended for the episode "Unexpected", but didn't get used due to the Foundation Imaging staff being overworked. A shame really...
-Mike

Cock_Knocker
Bridge Officer

Post by Cock_Knocker » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:47 am

The 1990's update version is a classic example of how terribly wrong this could have gone. The DM didn't need added green lights or a design change.

The 2003 version was beautiful. The only thing I didn't like was the tractor beam effect.

But the Trek Remastered stuff we eventually got is hands down the best.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:30 pm

Wayne wrote:

The 1990's update version is a classic example of how terribly wrong this could have gone. The DM didn't need added green lights or a design change.
I understand what they were trying to do there as it was a "proof of concept" kind of thing. Even still, the "organic" Sandworm of Arrakis look really turned me off. I didn't like the organic look in the FiveYearMission.com fanfilm, either. The old planet killer model as well as the new Remastered CGI one convey a sense of ponderous mass. That the dammed thing is indeed this wandering behemoth of a beserker.

The 2003 version was beautiful. The only thing I didn't like was the tractor beam effect.

I think the idea there was to update the tractor beam FX to more closely resemble the TNG-era look.
But the Trek Remastered stuff we eventually got is hands down the best.
I think overall, I have to agree with that. It's not perfect, but I don't think any effort will ever produce something that satisfies everyone.
-Mike