Plan of Dissent [TCW4]

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
General Donner
Bridge Officer

Re: Plan of Dissent [TCW4]

Post by General Donner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:lol, Lucas seems really willing to piss EU fans as much as possible. I'm pretty sure that the EU has repeatedly presented Dac as a good sidekick to Alderaan and all that by the time of the Old Republic a few decades before the Clone Wars.
Actually, in the old EU fluff, Dac was supposed to have been a new discovery by the Empire in post-Republic times. So it was never part of the Old Republic. Their tech base was advanced enough that they could drive out the local Imperials and become the major Rebel supplier of warships within a decade or two of that, though.

The prequels for some reason retconned all this. And now, apparently they're ret-retconning it again because of a plot of the week in the cartoon.

*Sigh* ...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:25 am

Lucky wrote:How is this any more Earth shattering then episode 401 or 402 where the interplanetary sensors on Dac are said to be sonar and radar?

Episode 404 where there's an earthquake and it is implied that thousands is the majority of those who live on that planet, but is a major enough event that the Republic sends aid,

or when it is shown the Republic lacks a proper translation for the language, and that only one translator droid was sent.

Or that the natives are stone age peoples who have just been given tach, and barely know how to use it?
Basically, every TCW episode features revelations that are consistent with and expand upon the universe as seen in the films. Only rarely are there any truly naughty moments when some absurd wankery slips in. That's a pretty good track record given that the EU permeates the thinking of Filoni, Gilroy, et al.

However, this was a more interesting example solely because it is the first time in Star Wars that I recall right now where we get the explicit use of tons as a unit for explosives. Folks have been discussing Star Wars firepower for 15 years, and that's the closest to the goal of a direct canon statement assessing an object's firepower that we have, even though as it turns out it was mere hyperbole.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Oh well i watched it (kinda) and all i got from it was the Jedi being a bit of a dick, there were none or i missed anymore firepower comments.

On a unrelated note a dude posted a YT clip on SB.com and it is freaking EPIC Windu.....enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A07WNupEXk

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote: On a unrelated note a dude posted a YT clip on SB.com and it is freaking EPIC Windu.....enjoy:

There's nothing epic about it when you know it's totally spoiled by the fact that it's nothing like the real Windu.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:49 pm

General Donner wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:lol, Lucas seems really willing to piss EU fans as much as possible. I'm pretty sure that the EU has repeatedly presented Dac as a good sidekick to Alderaan and all that by the time of the Old Republic a few decades before the Clone Wars.
Actually, in the old EU fluff, Dac was supposed to have been a new discovery by the Empire in post-Republic times. So it was never part of the Old Republic. Their tech base was advanced enough that they could drive out the local Imperials and become the major Rebel supplier of warships within a decade or two of that, though.

The prequels for some reason retconned all this. And now, apparently they're ret-retconning it again because of a plot of the week in the cartoon.

*Sigh* ...

Another inverse EU concept: Wild Space. In the EU it was supposed to be a very recent frontier as part of an expansion effort initiated by Emperor Palpatine post-Republic to explore and expand into the Unknown Regions. However, in TCW series, it is portrayed as having being pre-Empire by a considerable time and is a generally lawless zone ruled by criminal organizations, like the Hutts. There is no connection so far to the Unknown Regions, which goes against George Lucas' movie concept that the GFFA is completely mapped, or at least nearly so that Jocasta Nu could make an arrogant brag to that effect in AoTC.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote: On a unrelated note a dude posted a YT clip on SB.com and it is freaking EPIC Windu.....enjoy:

There's nothing epic about it when you know it's totally spoiled by the fact that it's nothing like the real Windu.

In regards to a VS and compared to G canon of course it is, but as a bit of a enjoyable clip it contains plenty of enjoyable EPIC imho.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:37 pm

To me it's just so over the top and ridiculous that I can't be bothered.
It's almost like if the computers used to draw that show ran on the electricity produced by the sinusoidal movement of millions of SW fans wanking hard.