5 Reasons Star Wars Sequels would be worse than prequels

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

5 Reasons Star Wars Sequels would be worse than prequels

Post by Praeothmin » Wed May 25, 2011 6:45 pm

From cracked.com...

Read and laugh...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: 5 Reasons Star Wars Sequels would be worse than prequels

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 27, 2011 6:51 am

Heh, that article pretty well sums up what's wrong with the Expanded Universe.
-Mike

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon May 30, 2011 2:57 pm

the bouncing ball jedi master defeated Sidious finally in the end

it wasn't the star child spawned from a slaves loins by the force itself nor was it his son who was the embodiment of everything said jesus analog could of been and in the end of the films succeeded

noo it was bouncing ball man

bouncing ball..man

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm

Some points are valid, but do absolutely not support the initial claim.
There are problems with point 5 for instance. He's presenting a logical case, but actually brings nothing that shows how it's bad or would have sucked if done as movies.

Point 4, sure. Now, is it as bad as Death Star II, bigger and meaner, with "visible underwears!!" ?

Point 3. Some advice. If you're going to talk about sequels... perhaps not using a prequel game would help prove your point. That said, he's totally right about the abundance of random Jedi. That completely makes the idea of Luke being so special completely moot. So to make him super duper, by being the son of Anakin, Anakin had to be the Jedi with the mostest higherest superiorestnessive midichlorydrablaarians.
Yuk.
Still, the problem isn't really the period, but Lucas. The OT is superior because he had less control on it.

Quite dramatically, it's important to consider how Jedi appear first. If it were only a question of having Jedi parents, this would have obviously been a mess all too soon. Heck, why didn't Obi Wan have seks? I mean, there surely were some chicks Obi Wan could... meet?
And Yoda? With all that mud everywhere, think of the possibilities!

Point 2, yeah. It got so terrible that they laughed about it themselves. On the other hand, it's expected that with the ability to pull super weapons out of the blue that fast, some plans had to slip through some hands. It's hard to think that the only geniuses in the galaxy worked on the Death Star and stopped existing afterward. It's even more dumb if you're convinced that the Death Star is just more of the same laser gun, but oversized.

Point 1. He thinks the new *yawn* Sith Empire sucks big balls? He hasn't seen the prequels, far in the past, with those red stormtroopers wearing helmets looking like buckets.
Now, is that proof that the sequels would have sucked?

I read several books of the NJO, and they were quite good, honestly. Plus, by far, with everything compared and as a strictly post-ROTJ era series, the Thrawn Trilogy really was what fell the more like Star Wars.

However, since we don't know when the sequels would have taken place... if Lucas wanted another typical Greek storytelling, then the construction of a new Jedi Order by Luke Skywalker would be the way to go, if possible, charged choke full of irony.

Don't ask, but I believe all fans still want to see the old cast make a return. I may scream like a little fangurl if I saw the camera slowly approaching a hooded man, only to have this guy reveal his head and be Hamill, with a beard.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm not so sure I want to see an old Carrie Fisher, though... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:04 am

Praeothmin wrote:I'm not so sure I want to see an old Carrie Fisher, though... :)
Well, a roughed up CF, with some makeup and a senatorial suit giving her some presence, plus a serious role, would work as far as I'm concerned.
Hamill would be 60 in September 25. Quite a good time to play the old wizard.
Both would seriously need to lose some fat, but that's quite the easy part of it.
The hardest is to give them good lines some roles people would care about. Plus there would be a need to have a new group of young people.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:33 pm

I'd like to see a Zack Snyder version of SW, or perhaps even a Kenneth Brannagh version...

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:43 am

Praeothmin wrote:I'd like to see a Zack Snyder version of SW, or perhaps even a Kenneth Brannagh version...
that'd involve guys like Micheal Clark Duncan as sith lords and Jackie "rorsach" earl as the dark lord

I can live with that

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Malin Akerman as Mara Jade?

Me want... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:13 pm

Well, no one said that the EU had to be followed. In fact I'd completely scrap it and go another way that would close the whole Jedi/Sith thing in some epic form.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:35 pm

The problem with all of this is that sequel movies just won't happen. Lucas himself has said that after RoTJ there is no more story to tell that is worthwhile. Everyone got to live happily ever after once balance was restored to the Force. Will movies be made after Lucas dies? Possibly, if they can find a way around Lucas' provision that no sequel movies are to be made.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:The problem with all of this is that sequel movies just won't happen. Lucas himself has said that after RoTJ there is no more story to tell that is worthwhile. Everyone got to live happily ever after once balance was restored to the Force. Will movies be made after Lucas dies? Possibly, if they can find a way around Lucas' provision that no sequel movies are to be made.
-Mike
Didn't he say the saga was complete after ROTS?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:48 pm

That's pretty much what I said. I can't find the exact quote, but Lucas made a quip that after RoTJ there is no story because Han and Leia inviting everyone to cookouts at their house every weekend wasn't worth telling, or something to that effect.

It's your typical fairytale ending, which is appropriate given that Star Wars is really a fantasy epic set against a sci-fi backdrop.
-Mike