German Newscast Makes BIG 'Star Trek' and SEALs Blooper!

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

German Newscast Makes BIG 'Star Trek' and SEALs Blooper!

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 am

A German newscast makes a major blooper by confusing a fan-made Maquis emblem for the the real-life U.S. Navy SEALs' Team Six logo. Click here for details! The newsman in the thing even fails to notice that the skull on the emblem is a Klingon one as well as the inclusion of fictional weapons like the Bat'leth and hand phaser!
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: German Newscast Makes BIG 'Star Trek' and SEALs Blooper!

Post by Lucky » Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:A German newscast makes a major blooper by confusing a fan-made Maquis emblem for the the real-life U.S. Navy SEALs' Team Six logo. Click here for details! The newsman in the thing even fails to notice that the skull on the emblem is a Klingon one as well as the inclusion of fictional weapons like the Bat'leth and hand phaser!
-Mike
The skull I think is forgivable, but the Bat'leth and hand phaser should have been noticed. I actually find it hard to believe someone did not know better.

This is likely what was suppose to be on screen: http://www.specialforces.net/Seal_Team_6/team-6.jpg

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 12, 2011 4:20 am

It's called an epic failure to fact check the source, and make sure it's accurate and legit.
-Mike

(On a side note in response to your flagging, this forum is just fine, as this relates directly to Trek and a show that accidently featured some fan art from it, and so is a critque of that show.)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu May 12, 2011 5:03 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:It's called an epic failure to fact check the source, and make sure it's accurate and legit.
-Mike

(On a side note in response to your flagging, this forum is just fine, as this relates directly to Trek and a show that accidently featured some fan art from it, and so is a critque of that show.)
I was just saying that missing the skull was forgivable. The skull would seem relatively normal on such a thing, but everything else should have been caught. I'm agreeing with you, but this is such a big mistake it almost seems like it was done on purpose.

I just hope the anchorman doesn't get in trouble. They as I understand it tend to just read a TelePrompTer.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 12, 2011 5:44 am

Not always, the anchorperson is often a reporter in their own right, and was working on the story for that newscast, and should have noticed that something was very wrong with the emblem. My suspicion is that he did not research it himself, but probably a staff or intern do it for him, and someone deliberately or otherwise botched the job.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 pm

The best part?
Star Trek's Maquis is not scheduled to begin raiding for several hundred years.
:)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu May 12, 2011 3:27 pm

Praeothmin wrote:The best part?
I liked that part.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 13, 2011 2:18 am

That's just awesome!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 13, 2011 4:23 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:The best part?
I liked that part.
Since it's reported with such certainty, I'm holding them to that. :-)
-Mike