Kitsune's Science Fiction Conversions

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Kitsune's Science Fiction Conversions

Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:18 am

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... F_Conv.htm

I've known about Kitsune's site for a while. I was wondering what you guys think of it.

This might help
Quantifiable Rifts Fluff
http://www.starfleetjedi.net/forum/view ... =12&t=1717

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Kitsune's Science Fiction Conversions

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:33 pm

Lots of problems here, some just annoying typos, but others are real messed up assumptions, like the Galaxy class having 300 torpedoes total loadout, when canonically we know they have 250.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Wow, Kitsune's site. I haven't been there in a LOOOOOOOONG time. Almost forgot about it.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:51 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Lots of problems here, some just annoying typos, but others are real messed up assumptions, like the Galaxy class having 300 torpedoes total loadout, when canonically we know they have 250.
-Mike
I thought we are never told what a full load of torpedos was for a Galaxy class?

What other things did you notice?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Don't you remember the Pegasus argument thread between you, WILGA and myself?
I believe it is in "Conundrum" that we have the 250 torpedo loadout for the E-D...

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 am

Praeothmin wrote:Don't you remember the Pegasus argument thread between you, WILGA and myself?
I believe it is in "Conundrum" that we have the 250 torpedo loadout for the E-D...
Vaguely, I don't recall it being stated that 250 was the maximum number it could carry, but I'll admit I don't have the quote handy in any form. I thought 250 torpedos was what they had at the time?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:05 am

The 250 photon torpedo loadout does indeed come from "Conundrum". It is to date the only direct canon statement about how many torpedoes are carried on a GCS.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:The 250 photon torpedo loadout does indeed come from "Conundrum". It is to date the only direct canon statement about how many torpedoes are carried on a GCS.
-Mike
And backed up by the Technical Manual IIRC...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Actually, the TNG TM says there are 275 photon torpedoes. When the Warsies do their Pegasus calcs, they always take that number since it adds another 25 torpedoes, which in turn further reduces the average yield per torpedo.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Lucky wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Lots of problems here, some just annoying typos, but others are real messed up assumptions, like the Galaxy class having 300 torpedoes total loadout, when canonically we know they have 250.
-Mike
I thought we are never told what a full load of torpedos was for a Galaxy class?

What other things did you notice?
Another goof-up is the number of phaser strips on the saucer section. Kitsune claims four when any good accounting of the thing shows visually only two big strips (one dorsal, one ventral). When the saucer is docked to the stardrive, there are two small strips on the upper neck of the stardrive hull, which may have caused this person some confusion given the blended shapes. But when seperated, those two little phaser strips go with the stardrive, leaving only the two big ones with the saucer.

As a secondary consequence Kitsune nerfs the stardrive count as well. With nine exposed phaser strips while docked with the saucer, and 10 when the stardrive is conducting independent operations.

Judging from the spelling and grammatical errors, I'd say hazard a guess that english is not Kitsune's native language.
-Mike