Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
The Dude
Jedi Knight

Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

Post by The Dude » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:49 am

http://www.redlettermedia.com/sith.html

It's up in three 35-45ish minute parts on his site. I didn't see it on Youtube yet. I know some here found the first two enjoyable (as did I) but I haven't had the chance to watch more then the first ten minutes or so.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Re: Red Letter Media RotS Review Up

Post by Cocytus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:50 pm

It's good commentary, though I found it wasn't as funny as the previous installations. Still good though.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Seems like he fell victim to similar flaws as he said Lucus did. It just dragged on, and kept repeating it's self.

The grade school humor didn't help.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 am

The humour was decent enough for me, his overall point that the movies didn't establish a connection with the audience and it was hard to care about the characters was sound IMO. I certainly don't give two shits about the PT characters and I find it hard to remember much about them, yet the OT is vivid in my mind.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 am

I just now finished watching it and as usual he has his points spot on. There were some areas I could do without, the commercials for instance, but you get past that and the Plinkett side story with the woman hunting for him and focus on the review itself. At this point I almost wish that he would do a review of the clone wars, but he apparently had to deal with CN complaigning about the episode 2 review which caused him to have to remove it off youtube.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:38 pm

The Dude wrote:The humour was decent enough for me, his overall point that the movies didn't establish a connection with the audience and it was hard to care about the characters was sound IMO. I certainly don't give two shits about the PT characters and I find it hard to remember much about them, yet the OT is vivid in my mind.
Well, I did like Ewen McGregor's Obi-Wan, but I agree the rest is not up to par with the OT...

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:39 pm

RedLetter makes the point about "a war with no consequences," and that we should have seen the war impact Coruscant in some way. The other major thing that has always bothered me about ROTS is that, in order to become the Emperor, Palpatine needed to rid himself of the Jedi. To cement the kind of power he wanted, Palpatine needed to control a) the military and b) the media, so as to influence the hearts and minds of the people to accept the major changes he was making to their system. His control over the military is easy enough to believe. The Kaminoans blatantly tell Obi Wan the clones are unquestioningly loyal, it was just a matter of not knowing who really was in charge all this time. But the other major aspect of the Emperor's rise, control of the media, is never shown. Palpatine gains all this power for himself by exploiting the war with the Separatists, a war the Jedi are helping him fight, right? Then he turns on them, wiping out the order to prevent any challenge to his accession. It makes sense as a necessary block in the foundation of the Empire, but it just isn't convincingly set up to me. Every time we see Jedi going about their business on Coruscant nobody seems the least bit bothered by it. Had Palpatine been steadily feeding the public misinformation about the Jedi and methodically turning the people against them, that would have been far more interesting than Padme and Anakin's romance. Seeing a long, drawn out propaganda campaing against his chief competition (as with real dictatorships) would have made Palpatine's speech to the Senate far more interesting and climactic. There would have been protests outside the Jedi Temple, Jedi becoming increasingly apprehensive of going around in public, and a general sense of fear pervading the atmosphere of Coruscant. Inside their stronghold, the Jedi would ponder and meditate on how to counter the Chancellor's claims while avoiding showing a "guilty conscience" to the people at large. Hell, that whole conflict could have been set up over both AOTC and ROTS, and would have been far more meaningful than "I like the water/I don't like sand."

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:08 am

personally i loved the humor. that bit where he stops right in the middle of making a point and says 'i like to have sex with my cat' and then DOES made me snort coke out of my nose.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 am

If your feeling masochistic, Jim Raynor on SDN has a 108 page rebuttal of RLM's TPM review up:

Link

And no, I haven't read it. More entertaining things to do with my time.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:28 am

The Dude wrote:If your feeling masochistic, Jim Raynor on SDN has a 108 page rebuttal of RLM's TPM review up:

Link

Dont waste your time, it's just a bunch of nit-picks of the RLM review. He misrepresents almost everything from the TPM review to try and make some sort of point.
It kind of reminds me of Mike Wongs counter review of David Brins crushing critique of TPM, the anger and hate are there and slowly bubble to the surface as they go on.
I haven't finished reading this rebuttal to RLM yet, but it is following exactly the path I expected from the Talifans, I'm just surprised that it took them so long to find a rebuttal to RLM.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:11 am

Well I'll stick with what I said on SDN:
Meh, Plinkett's review has the advantage that I can play it in the background while I do something else. With Raynor's I'll have to sit and actually read it and that's honestly not something I'm prepared to do right now. I applaud him for posting it (I thought he was just posturing) and I'm glad he enjoyed the PT but I think I've already spent enough time on these things.
There is a limit to how much time I'm willing to spend on this stuff.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:59 am

watchdog wrote:
The Dude wrote:If your feeling masochistic, Jim Raynor on SDN has a 108 page rebuttal of RLM's TPM review up:

Link

Dont waste your time, it's just a bunch of nit-picks of the RLM review. He misrepresents almost everything from the TPM review to try and make some sort of point.
It kind of reminds me of Mike Wongs counter review of David Brins crushing critique of TPM, the anger and hate are there and slowly bubble to the surface as they go on.
I haven't finished reading this rebuttal to RLM yet, but it is following exactly the path I expected from the Talifans, I'm just surprised that it took them so long to find a rebuttal to RLM.
I had a look through it and it is what you would expect, a justification of some of the poorest film making in the SW franchise and constant attempts to discredit and dismiss RLM's comments that even go as far as to take obvious comedy seriously.

His whole critique is a painfully obvious rant from a stereotypical SDN member.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:46 pm

It keeps getting worse and worse, I'm going to read the whole thing but all I see is the writer creating explanations out of whole cloth that "explains" all the flaws Plinkett pointed out in his review. The writer then accuses RLM of being either dishonest or stupid for not extrapolating the same far-fetched explanations that have zero support in the movies themselves (not surprising from a group that worships the ICS).
He MUST be a DOW (an old Spacebattles acronym meaning Disciple of Wong).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:17 am

No doubt this "Raynor" spent years assembling his rationale. Exactly what's expected from the audience that sits in a theater.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:29 am

on the other hand, his little comic strip bits are COMEDY GOLD.