Why The Episode One hate?

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
User1462
Bridge Officer

Re: Why The Episode One hate?

Post by User1462 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:01 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:my only gripe with ep 1 and indeed the prequel..is that the emperor came off like a severe moron. between being saved because traffic was light that night he decided it would be brilliant to try and fight a man known as the greatest duelist in the order...and gravity bailing him out..when it would of been a heck of allot easier to either run away as fast as he could or...just I dunno fight a delaying action till back up arrived
More like Anakin his apprentice, whom Palpatine had spent the last 13 years luring to the Dark Side? He had prepared Anakin for that reason from day 1, killing Darth Plageus and stealing Anakin away from him, having Anakin's mother kidnapped and kept barely alive etc.
He counted on Anakin, and it paid off. Anakin was not exactly one to be slowed by traffic!

Likewise, a Sith-lord can beat anyone who's not with the Dark Side; clearly Mace was pretty unstable when it came to that, and that's why he turned to the Dark Side at the last moment of weakness--- and that's what sealed his fate; if he had stayed in the light and simply arrested Palpatine, then Anakin wouldn't have intervened.
Even Dooku was only able to be beaten, because Palpatine allowed it; Dooku didn't have the power to throw Obi-wan across the room like that, but Palpatine gave him the power in order to get Obi-wan's influence out of the way, and isolate Anakin to turn him to the Dark Side, by having him kill Dooku when he was beaten helpless
Clearly, Obi-wan wouldn't have allowed Anakin to do that, ; that was more than revenge for taking his hand, since Anakin had already taken both of Dooku's-- before that, he could have made Dooku some replacement hands, and clearly the Sith-lightning wouldn't work anymore.
But killing a helpless prisoner was an important step that Palaptine needed for Anakin to take-- followed by Palpatine's killing Anakin's mother, so that Anakin would kill the entire tribe of raiders on Tatooine, setting him up with Padme etc. Palps was behind it all.
his two confrontations..and anakins revealed clingy issues and his subsequent forgetting of them and gleefully torturing clingy mans son in front of him.
Again, Palpatine created those issues; originally, Anakin was created by Darth Plageis, brought out of the Force rather than natural conception; but Palpatine killed Plageis, and so Anakin and Schmi wound up as slaves, rather than Anakin being raised as Plageis's son.
sort of make him a bit of an idiot..or at the very least a mind bogglingly arrogant soul..though that fits I suppose..
Again, he's a composite of actual dictators in history-- and fits their style very well, from Napoleon onward: i.e. composed in public, but insane in reality.
beyond that muppet fu mace dooku and maul kinda made up for the failings..of the prequels to me any ways
Maul was a kabuki-dancer, but Yoda was the biggest muppet of all.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:26 pm

UniveralNetguru wrote:
More like Anakin his apprentice, whom Palpatine had spent the last 13 years luring to the Dark Side? He had prepared Anakin for that reason from day 1, killing Darth Plageus and stealing Anakin away from him, having Anakin's mother kidnapped and kept barely alive etc.]
do you have any basis for that? I mean I didn't see any of this in the PT saw it hinted at saw two conflicting theories on the matter
UniveralNetguru wrote: He counted on Anakin, and it paid off. Anakin was not exactly one to be slowed by traffic!
if emokin showed up five minutes later...he'd of been a corpse
UniveralNetguru wrote:]Likewise, a Sith-lord can beat anyone who's not with the Dark Side; clearly Mace was pretty unstable when it came to that, and that's why he turned to the Dark Side at the last moment of weakness--- and that's what sealed his fate; if he had stayed in the light and simply arrested Palpatine, then Anakin wouldn't have intervened.
I have no clue how you came to those conclusions...based off the movies
UniveralNetguru wrote:]Even Dooku was only able to be beaten, because Palpatine allowed it; Dooku didn't have the power to throw Obi-wan across the room like that, but Palpatine gave him the power in order to get Obi-wan's influence out of the way, and isolate Anakin to turn him to the Dark Side, by having him kill Dooku when he was beaten helpless
we watched different movies? I mean because at no point do I recall sidious transfering power or indeed that being a canon ability

and as for sith being unbeatable Yoda tooling Dooku and anime style fragging Kentucky fried sith with his own lighting..and then only loosing because his tiny arms meant shitty grip after tossing him like a hacky sack ball..earlier seems to disagree with that

maul being torso garroted too
UniveralNetguru wrote:]Clearly, Obi-wan wouldn't have allowed Anakin to do that, ; that was more than revenge for taking his hand, since Anakin had already taken both of Dooku's-- before that, he could have made Dooku some replacement hands, and clearly the Sith-lightning wouldn't work anymore.
your describing some one with Dr Doom/Lex Luther level brilliance as opposed to the crazy guy we saw in the PT
UniveralNetguru wrote: But killing a helpless prisoner was an important step that Palaptine needed for Anakin to take-- followed by Palpatine's killing Anakin's mother, so that Anakin would kill the entire tribe of raiders on Tatooine, setting him up with Padme etc. Palps was behind it all.
how lucky he was then that dooku smushed obi trice
UniveralNetguru wrote: Again, Palpatine created those issues; originally, Anakin was created by Darth Plageis, brought out of the Force rather than natural conception; but Palpatine killed Plageis, and so Anakin and Schmi wound up as slaves, rather than Anakin being raised as Plageis's son.
the force created Anakin theres nothing beyond fan speculation that backs plageis god style going funky on mary skywalker (and you'd think a bad ass sith lord would pick a hotter lady as a candidate any ways lol)

fighting mace was asinine fighting Yoda was even more stupid and torturing the son of a seven foot tall super strong clingy emo cyborg...is probably one of the worse choices ever made by a lead villain in any series

the prequels make that last choice fantastically stupid...before the prequels Sidious doing that was just pure awesome...and vader doing that unexpected...but with that stuff in the prequels

it read like a bad fanfic..and perhaps thats lucas worse crime..moronifying a great villain like Kentucky fried sith he was awesome sauce until the prequels made him a complete idiot
UniveralNetguru wrote:]
Again, he's a composite of actual dictators in history-- and fits their style very well, from Napoleon onward: i.e. composed in public, but insane in reality.
yeah but aside from Hitler Caligula and Nero most of those dictators had more common sense then the guy from the prequel trilogy

OT sidous came off like a deep fried extra crispy Pompeii or Julius Caesar and I could respect and fear the guy...but pT? my god man

[
UniveralNetguru wrote: Maul was a kabuki-dancer, but Yoda was the biggest muppet of all.
Yoda was like when miss piggy use to toon force in the old muppet shows...with a bit of Statler and Waldorf thrown in...and a healthy dose of the Rock

I mean seriously when Yoda showed up at KFS' office and did the little hand gesture after tossing him...tell me you didn't see the "JUST BRING IT JABRONI" look on Yodas face

that was..corny and awesome at the same time

User1486
Redshirt

Post by User1486 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:56 am

Lucky wrote:Basically I seem to hear people on boards such as this talk about TPM as if it is the worst of the six movies, but for the life of me I can't figure out why. Could someone explain it?

Well, the simple reason is that the prequel movies are terrible. In particular, for the first one Jar Jar Binks pretty much made it almost unwatchable. He was so much of an embarrassment that the later prequel films gave him only a brief appearance.

And I'm not going to go into the other two films, they were even worse than the first one. Yoda in particular ranged from inane to completely pathetic.

For a full review, I recommend Confused Matthew on the subject, for both its hilarity and its brutal honesty:

http://www.confusedmatthew.com/The-Star ... equels.php
UniveralNetguru wrote: More like Anakin his apprentice, whom Palpatine had spent the last 13 years luring to the Dark Side? He had prepared Anakin for that reason from day 1, killing Darth Plageus and stealing Anakin away from him, having Anakin's mother kidnapped and kept barely alive etc.
He counted on Anakin, and it paid off. Anakin was not exactly one to be slowed by traffic!
Oh, come on. Anakin may have been a whiny brat, but I find it completely unlikely that he would have just turned because of a dream about his wife dying, particularly when he already had years of training as a Jedi and was for the most part on good terms with them, in particular Obi-Wan.

On the other hand, portraying him being good is a contradiction, since the events of the prequel films put into question if he was ever on the light side in the first place. In the second movie, he slaughtered an entire village; as such he was already on the "dark side" long before Palpatine decided to pay attention to him.

Maul was a kabuki-dancer, but Yoda was the biggest muppet of all.
Only because of plot induced stupidity!
Last edited by User1486 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:10 am

UniveralNetguru wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:my only gripe with ep 1 and indeed the prequel..is that the emperor came off like a severe moron. between being saved because traffic was light that night he decided it would be brilliant to try and fight a man known as the greatest duelist in the order...and gravity bailing him out..when it would of been a heck of allot easier to either run away as fast as he could or...just I dunno fight a delaying action till back up arrived
More like Anakin his apprentice, whom Palpatine had spent the last 13 years luring to the Dark Side? He had prepared Anakin for that reason from day 1, killing Darth Plageus and stealing Anakin away from him, having Anakin's mother kidnapped and kept barely alive etc.
He counted on Anakin, and it paid off.
Where is such a story told?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 pm

UniveralNetguru wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Where is such a story told?
Unfortunately it's only vaguely implied from ep1 on.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:42 pm

Lucky wrote:
UniveralNetguru wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: Where is such a story told?
Unfortunately it's only vaguely implied from ep1 on.
Oh wait, isn't it an offshot of that fan made TPM radio drama?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:57 am

the whole thing comes from the bit where anakin and palpatine talk about plaguis while they watch the bubbles float around.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:10 am

Lucky wrote: Unfortunately it's only vaguely implied from ep1 on.
Mr.O wrote:Oh wait, isn't it an offshot of that fan made TPM radio drama?
I will assume you aren't joking, and don't know what I was talking about.

In Episode One The Phantom Menace Palpatine is shown to be interested in little Ani, and seems to be trying to forge a relationship with the kid. It seems from what we are shown that little Ani and Palpatine become friends.

The relationship is implied in a vague manner rather then shown like it should have been.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:52 pm

well we know every one suspected the kid to be some awesome paragon of force sensitivity

we don;t know that KFS knew because of his former guru plagius