Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 3 Expect spoilers

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 3 Expect spoilers

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:25 am

Season 3 Episode 11

Count Dooku is ordered by Darth Sidious to get rid of Ventress as a sort of loyalty test. So the count decides to have her fleet fire on her flag ship.

Ventress survives, and now seeks revenge, and goes to mommy for help.
_____
We see Ventress lift and force choke Obi-Won and Anakin at the same time. Why the two Jedi grabbed for their throats rather then do something to distract Ventress is beyond me since just seconds later the ship shakes and she drops them. a little TK would have gotten the Jedi out of the choke, and logically.

That water of life stuff was strange, I couldn't really tell if it was Ventress dreaming, or if the witches were seeing Ventress's past.

The Witches had a potion that granted near invisibility. Why don't the Jedi have this sort of stuff?

Lots of super human jumps

Dooku can fight two night sister(the elite). and Ventress while drugged, and force lightning all three at once out a window.

Ventress's Jedi father seems to have ben killed by a sniper.

Ventress seems to have been given up to protect the clan. One has to wonder what that slaver had on the Night Sisters.

Light Sabers are called Jedi weapons, and enough to make someone think they are facing a Jedi.

Even though a peace of rock/metal was glowing after being cut with a light saber it was cold enough to be stepped on. VFX goof?

The Night Sisters seem to have light bows and arrows, very strange weapons.
_____
On a personal note I found the Night Sisters annoying.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:31 am

It's possible the heat wasn't hot enough to harm them with boots on. The bows were entirely silly. There's no real point in having an energy bow string, save for it being less prone to snapping the bow in half when not in use. I suppose that makes it better...but the entire weapon is silly. They have automatic weapons now. They have sniper rifles. Not only is that bow going to be far less effective (dear God I hope so...), but any sort of advantages such as a silent and stealthy kill is going to be lost because people will see the glow.

Ah well.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:05 am

Mith wrote:It's possible the heat wasn't hot enough to harm them with boots on. The bows were entirely silly. There's no real point in having an energy bow string, save for it being less prone to snapping the bow in half when not in use. I suppose that makes it better...but the entire weapon is silly. They have automatic weapons now. They have sniper rifles. Not only is that bow going to be far less effective (dear God I hope so...), but any sort of advantages such as a silent and stealthy kill is going to be lost because people will see the glow.

Ah well.
It was stone/metal that was glowing red/orange. They don't even seem to notice. I'm just saying that it might be technobabble rather then caused by actual heat, or just a VFX goof.

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:27 pm

It's not the first time we see this happening. Mind you haven't seen this episode, so I can't comment too much, other than it sounds perfectly in line with what we see in The Phantom Menace when Qui-Gon Jim uses his lightsaber to cut through the Trade Federation ship's blast doors, and dispite what looks like melting and such, he does not even get singed in the slightest.

Something similar happens in Revenge of the Sith when Anakin/Vader assasinates the Seperatist leadership on Mustafar. You can see the lightsaber hit several people, leaving a glowing trail in it's wake, including the clothing. But if it was that hot, why not set the clothing on fire? It makes no sense, and anything that hot might actually cause flesh to explode and burst into superheated steam, of which we see neither happening.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Intriguing idea . . . not unlike the phaser glow that sometimes sticks to people and things for a bit after a phaser shot (e.g. the alien-infested admiral that Crusher zapped in TNG S1), but which obviously cannot be heat.

Makes a good bit of sense. The canon speaks of blaster bolts as galvened particle beams and of de-galvened bolts as puffs of radioactive fog, so it's possible that if lightsabres operate by similar technology then the blade might be leaving behind some sort of radiation residue that looks like a heat glow.

More analysis is in order . . . especially for things like the TF battleship bridge door, which looked an awful lot like heat glow. It would be awfully coincidental.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:21 am

You know, years ago I pointed out the weirdness of the lightsabers in TPM and RoTS in thread, but was poo-pooed by everyone. Now we have this episode and people saying possible technobabble chain-reaction.

The TPM example of cutting through the blast doors is a real oddity since we not only see that Qui-Gon is not turned intoa screaming torch by the supposed heat of his lightsaber, but Nute Gunray and the other Nemodians standing near the door on the other side are not reacting as though any kind of blast furnace-level heat is being directed their way!
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:You know, years ago I pointed out the weirdness of the lightsabers in TPM and RoTS in thread, but was poo-pooed by everyone. Now we have this episode and people saying possible technobabble chain-reaction.

The TPM example of cutting through the blast doors is a real oddity since we not only see that Qui-Gon is not turned intoa screaming torch by the supposed heat of his lightsaber, but Nute Gunray and the other Nemodians standing near the door on the other side are not reacting as though any kind of blast furnace-level heat is being directed their way!
-Mike
Who claimed lightsabers are DET?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:00 am

Well, I shouldn't say everyone, but in this discussion in the the "Power output of a lightsaber" it pretty well came to that by the end of it.

I mean 155 MW is nothing to be in the same room as.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:44 am

Do to my niece visiting I have yet to see the two episode before this one. Shows where people get stabbed and lit on fire are fit for 3 or 4 year olds.
_____
Season 3 Episode 14

This episode had a lot of interesting information in it.

Anakin Obi-won and Ahsoka investigate a signal they received and then weird stuff starts happening.

Anakin's ship and the a Venator are supposedly in the same location as the signal, but can't see each other. Then combinations cut out. A weird eight sided gold diamond appears, opens up, and pulls them in.

I found it amusing that the place our heros got sent was describe as bigger then an asteroid. The line is completely useless.^_^

The place was described as being some sort of focus for the force, and amplifying it.

So then we have a Sith who is not a Sith, a Jedi who is not a Jedi, and their father the celestial emperor. So it seems like the three are gods of the force. The sister is the light side, the brother is the dark side, and the father is balance. I didn't notice much difference between the sibling's behavior. Does this mean the force users are in fact channeling the powers of higher beings?

Ahsoka is stated to have seeds of the dark side in her from Anakin making the dark side sound like an infection.

It's mentioned that the siblings would rip reality apart, and would change something about what life and death.

The son and daughter are described as opposites that define each other in all ways except in one way the brother is called destruction and the sister creation. To create you must destroy, and when you destroy you must create something.
_____

The system as i recall was said to be beyond the outer rim implying the rim is not the edge of the galaxy.