Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 3 Expect spoilers

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 3 Expect spoilers

Post by Lucky » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:39 am

Well an hour long season opener has just aired where I live.

------

They said something about how with Jago dead they would need a new source of DNA or something like that, and that they where running out of DNA or it was wearing out.

They only seem to have one sample of DNA.

------

It was interesting to see a failed clone like 99, but it bothered me the way everyone seemed to ignore him, and seemed to almost forget he was there. It really seemed like they should have listened to the guy more because he knew the place better then anyone.

It was rather surprising 99 could still walk after being shot in the leg as he was a hunchback, and seemed to take a couple blaster bolts to the back before dyeing.

------

It's made very clear the cloners just see the clones as nothing more then a product no different from a car or something.

------

We see some space combat.

I couldn't see any quad turrets on the Acclamators, but I couldn't tell if they fired.

Fighters attacked what seemed to be shielded capital ships, and caused major damage with their blasters/lasers.

------

Hope to see No Letters from Home up dated.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 3 Expect spoilers

Post by The Dude » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 am

Well I guess that kinda/sorta explains why Jango was living on Kamino. Maybe their cloning tech requires relatively fresh DNA.

Ahh, fuck it. I'll go with the Kaminoan's being morons. I like the symmetry.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:34 am

The Dude wrote:Well I guess that kinda/sorta explains why Jango was living on Kamino. Maybe their cloning tech requires relatively fresh DNA.

Ahh, fuck it. I'll go with the Kaminoan's being morons. I like the symmetry.
I would think they should be able to make the DNA from scratch once it was was read.>_<

-------

One thing I forgot to add was that Anakin and some clones had Ventress seemingly cornered, and Ventress was sure Anakin was just going to ask her to give, but Anakin just said he was going to let the clones kill her on the spot, and he meant it. The look on her face was great, and it seems to be a sign Anakin is falling to the dark side.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:01 am

Kamino could really have used defenses.. like a planetary shield..... or you know, sensors to tell them when there are big gigantic squid robots coming at them... Rather than hide behind these gigaton turbo lasers that are so common the planet relies upon a small fleet of ships in orbit that is considered a major deterrent to attack.

Security forces on Kamino were pitiful... Ventress was able to walk into the DNA storage room, grevious and his droids walked around uncontested with no doors or defended posistions to block their path...

A pro though for force users. Ventress jumps into a fast moving ship and effortlessly pushes at least 10-15 soldiers down with the force.

On a side note: Blaster impacts against clothing, one again, show nothing more than little entry marks ala the hit on the princess in ROTJ.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:07 am

Why am I not too terribly suprised about the lack of planetary shields and defenses here? ;-)
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:47 am

Trinoya wrote:Kamino could really have used defenses.. like a planetary shield..... or you know, sensors to tell them when there are big gigantic squid robots coming at them... Rather than hide behind these gigaton turbo lasers that are so common the planet relies upon a small fleet of ships in orbit that is considered a major deterrent to attack.

Security forces on Kamino were pitiful... Ventress was able to walk into the DNA storage room, grevious and his droids walked around uncontested with no doors or defended posistions to block their path...

A pro though for force users. Ventress jumps into a fast moving ship and effortlessly pushes at least 10-15 soldiers down with the force.

On a side note: Blaster impacts against clothing, one again, show nothing more than little entry marks ala the hit on the princess in ROTJ.
I don't recall Kamino having any ground based weapons? They just seemed to have retractable armor that was not up the the task.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

The platforms do hold up against the weight of the objects (although they possibly are made of light materials and have some form of mass lightning or some such, who knows).

That said, the entire attack could have been defeated if they had broken off you know.. a few fighters.. or ships... There is absolutely no reason grevious and ventress should have escaped.... Hell, if Anakin had just stayed in his ship he could have done more damage and Ventress would never have escaped because there would be no ship to escape on.

Still.. honestly the 'gigantic falling objects' weren't even being shot down.. and they got dangerously close to the city..

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:09 am

Sorry for not being very good at this sort of thing, and not being able to watch, and take notes at the same time.

Season 3 episode 2

I would suggest watching this episode even though JarJar is in it. Bale seemed rather unhappy to have to be working with him.

---

At the beginning they are talking about ship ranges because the Republic needed to get supplies to a reblockaded Ryloth. I wish I had been taking notes at the time because it's the sort of thing people who are good with numbers would care about.

---

The Republic wants to use the neutral planet of Toydaria as a staging ground to send supplies. To try to work out a deal the Republic sends Bale, and Jar Jar, but the trade federation is already there in the form of ambassadors.

Apparently the Toydarians are really into humanitarian efforts to the point they have it as part of their constitution, but will not help resupply troops of either side for fear of attack. Bale however is aloud to send the supplies he has with him so long as it remains a secret. They come up with a silly plan, and somehow do it without the trade fed having any proof.

Jar jar did his job(act like a fool) perfectly to the point of not appearing clumsy.

Why the supplies had to be transferred planet side is beyond me. All the Republic needed to do in this case was just go a little out side the system. Perhaps a quirk of hyperdrives?

---

Meanwhile on Ryloth the single Jedi, his clone troopers, and Twi'leks are dug in and fighting and are nearly out of supplies to the point of no food, ammunition, or water.

The Jedi decides their best chances are to close one of the passes so they can only be attacked from one direction, and to do this they load their seemingly only LAAT with all the explosives they seemed to have, and blow it up. The plan works.

Now the Jedi and his clone troopers take on the suicide missions of stalling the CIS while the Twi'leks retreat.

The clones and Jedi succeeded at the cost of their lives, and Twi'leks get away, and then the food and medical supplies are dropped, and the Twi'leks get them.

---

It seemed to often take sevral blaster shot to kill anything.

There is a notable lack of planetary bombardment as always.

There seemed to be next to no air support.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 am

Kenobi: "Senator, the fleet protecting Ryloth has been destroyed and the supply lines have been cut. The troops are out of food, fuel, ammunition . . . and the civilian population is starving."
Organa: "That is grim news."
Windu: "Our blockade runners should be able to penetrate the Separatist lines and drop relief supplies. But, they do not have the range to reach Ryloth."
Kenobi: "The planet Toydaria is 2000 parsecs closer than the nearest fleet. If the blockade runners can supply from there, they might reach Ryloth in time."
The number of parsecs given was 2000 in reference to how much closer Toydaria was to Ryloth than the nearest fleet. That is about 6500 light-years.

Given the circuitous routes hyperdrive usage can require, plus the fact that the Separatists would have seized the hyperspace lanes early on in the war (cutting off the Outer Rim from other support), the notion that this is a straight-line distance should be held as an assumption only. Even if we assume it, though, it is still roughly consistent with a 10,000-12,000 light-year Empire.

For example, if you imagine a Roman civil war circa 115 CE with the fighting of interest happening in the boonies of Morocco and the Med seized by Separatists, it is not impossible to imagine that the nearest army that can intervene might be in Egypt or Turkey or Greece, rather than in Rome or even Spain.

The alternative view, of course, would be that the galaxy is huge, basically fully-covered by the Republic, and that 6500 light-years is mere hopscotch for hyperdrive. The whole episode occurred in minutes, and so on. Except that's silly, too, because then we're stuck with the peculiar value of one fleet (generally shown to be a mere handful of ships) per an area of 6500 light-years diameter. At EU galaxy sizes and if that was the norm, that would imply just 85 different little flotillas, or a few hundred ships. And, of course, there are severe range limitations indicated . . . the Republic fleet at Ryloth is out of fuel after getting there and fighting, and the relief ships have some sort of severe range limitations when carrying food and medical supplies, limitations that seem to be alleviated if they fly empty.

In other words, we have a plausible and consistent notion versus one that leads to contradictions.

But still, we do have upward pressure in regards to hyperdrive velocities. Even at 20000c, you're only traveling 384 light-years per week. Thus, a 6500 light-year trip would take 17 weeks . . . that's four months. While not completely implausible given the suffering that supposedly occurs on Ryloth, it seems a stretch that it would've taken that long for Anakin's fleet to get there.

In any case, however, that's a bit of an outlier for now. That said, though, TCW does seem to cause some upward pressure in regards to hyperdrive speeds at the same time as it causes downward pressure in regards to everything else, so it's not a terrible trade-off if true.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:42 am

"Our blockade runners should be able to penetrate the Separatist lines and drop relief supplies. But, they do not have the range to reach Ryloth."

Very interesting that range limitation for the blockade runner ships. Isn't this supposed to be Star Wars with the almighty hyperdrive we've been hearing about that can get you from one side of the galaxy to the other in days or weeks at most? Is any indication given of just how long it would take for ships to traverse the 6,500 ly distance to get to Ryloth from Toydaria once the deal was made? Hours, days, weeks? Also interesting is hearing about the running out of fuel. I think that's a first.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:23 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:"Our blockade runners should be able to penetrate the Separatist lines and drop relief supplies. But, they do not have the range to reach Ryloth."

Very interesting that range limitation for the blockade runner ships. Isn't this supposed to be Star Wars with the almighty hyperdrive we've been hearing about that can get you from one side of the galaxy to the other in days or weeks at most? Is any indication given of just how long it would take for ships to traverse the 6,500 ly distance to get to Ryloth from Toydaria once the deal was made? Hours, days, weeks? Also interesting is hearing about the running out of fuel. I think that's a first.
-Mike
In the episode the ships are shown leaving, and then arriving just after the battle ends. The way the episode is cut i am lead to believe the battle is taking place while Bale and Jar Jar are doing the diplomatic talks.

Well the ICSs do give very short ranges for top of the line war ships and troop transports.

Acclamator: Range: 250,000 when fully fueled

Venator: Range: 60,000 effective range

Providence: Range: 40,000 effective range

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:39 am

Lucky wrote:In the episode the ships are shown leaving, and then arriving just after the battle ends.
They are only shown leaving Toydaria after the negotiations are concluded and arriving at Ryloth. We have no data on the distance between the two . . . just that Toydaria is 2000pc closer than the nearest fleet. Just as an example, the two could be in the same system and we'd be none the wiser.

They are also shown arriving at Toydaria after the negotiations are concluded.

As for the episode's timeline, we open with trench warfare on Ryloth and a shot of the Separatist blockade, with the Twi'lek fighters complaining of "running out of food and water" and the fleet being critically low on fuel and ammunition. Then we see the destruction of the fleet due to it being out of fuel with systems shutting down.

Then we see the Jedi asking Organa for assistance while his ship is in hyperspace after he's completed some unspecified trade mission. Kenobi notes that the troops are out of food, fuel, and ammunition and that the civilian population is starving.

Given the full context there is likely a gap between those two paragraphs.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:23 am

2046 wrote:
Lucky wrote:In the episode the ships are shown leaving, and then arriving just after the battle ends.
They are only shown leaving Toydaria after the negotiations are concluded and arriving at Ryloth. We have no data on the distance between the two . . . just that Toydaria is 2000pc closer than the nearest fleet. Just as an example, the two could be in the same system and we'd be none the wiser.

They are also shown arriving at Toydaria after the negotiations are concluded.

As for the episode's timeline, we open with trench warfare on Ryloth and a shot of the Separatist blockade, with the Twi'lek fighters complaining of "running out of food and water" and the fleet being critically low on fuel and ammunition. Then we see the destruction of the fleet due to it being out of fuel with systems shutting down.

Then we see the Jedi asking Organa for assistance while his ship is in hyperspace after he's completed some unspecified trade mission. Kenobi notes that the troops are out of food, fuel, and ammunition and that the civilian population is starving.

Given the full context there is likely a gap between those two paragraphs.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but the Twi'lek had enough time after the Jedi died to get to the drop zone, but the CIS did not have time to catach up with the Twi'lek yet. It didn't seem the battle had ended that long ago, and we know in the future the CIS would capture the Twi'lek and use them as Twi'lek shields.

The battle does not seem to have ended long before the Republic Blockade Runners show up at Ryloth.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:16 pm

2046 wrote:As for the episode's timeline, we open with trench warfare on Ryloth and a shot of the Separatist blockade, with the Twi'lek fighters complaining of "running out of food and water" and the fleet being critically low on fuel and ammunition
Another interesting bit there. This might be the first time since Kashyyyk as seen in RoTS that we have seen that the Republic is not dependent solely on Clone troopers for all infantry combat. This is an important piece of evidence that goes towards defining an upper limit towards how many Clone troopers there are in the GAR. If they are not the bulk of the military, just an elite supplementary force to local militia forces, which are the bulk of the GR military, then I can more readily accept the lower millions numbers. Less so, if they are the main bulk.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Keep in mind also that all the battles we saw where only clones were present were tacticaly important systems, and one even was a Bastion of enemies (Geonosis)...