nuTOS (ahem) series ?

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

nuTOS (ahem) series ?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:49 pm

Just askin'.
Most of the cast is about people who have played in shows for years, and there are other unknowns. Globally moving to the TV shouldn't be such a huge strain, especially for a franchise like Trek.
So, I was wondering... something which would easily pass as absolute heresy to people but... could a remake of the TOS series be made, and then be continued up to the fifth, sixth or even seventh season?
The crew would be the same, the scripts for the first three seasons would be barely changed besides the very off stuff, some plain pointless and boring episodes would be left out, all the crew of nuTrek would be at the helm of a Connie that would be smaller, like the original one, but with a design that's not as cheap and cardboardish as the one from the 60s?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: nuTOS (ahem) series ?

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:32 pm

I think a new take or perspecive on some of the older episodes would be interesting but exactly the same stories/endings with a differant crew would be a bit lame and predictable.

I would love to see some of the episodes redone with a twist in the tail like they did at the end of the modern version of invasion of the body snatchers. I much prefer morally ambiguous endings that supprise me nowadays than ones that i can guess the ending right from the start, apart from anything else it keeps your attention.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Depends who makes it. If it's someone like RDM at the helm, no way in hell will I watch it.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:43 pm

The Dude wrote:Depends who makes it. If it's someone like RDM at the helm, no way in hell will I watch it.
Well, why not JJ Abrams then?
Except no "Loss-like" episodes... :)

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
The Dude wrote:Depends who makes it. If it's someone like RDM at the helm, no way in hell will I watch it.
How about Marc dorcel?...:D.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:16 am

You know, aside from the craptastic sets, the outdated haircuts, the cheesy blurs on woman close shots and Kirk's forced laughter, the few scripts I've read really are very nice. They're not the total crap I thought they'd be, even if the show itself is a real bore because of the style back then, the muffed sound and really, the lack of -at least- eye candy.
That's why I think there's lost of potential here to extend TOS.
After finishing ENT, of course. Perhaps they could do both seasons at the same time. :]

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:17 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
How about Marc dorcel?...:D.
Who?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Who?
Kor's referring to a post as ASVS, where we talked about P**n...

But, no Kor, not Marc Dorcel... :)

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:31 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:You know, aside from the craptastic sets, the outdated haircuts, the cheesy blurs on woman close shots and Kirk's forced laughter, the few scripts I've read really are very nice. They're not the total crap I thought they'd be, even if the show itself is a real bore because of the style back then, the muffed sound and really, the lack of -at least- eye candy.
That's why I think there's lost of potential here to extend TOS.
After finishing ENT, of course. Perhaps they could do both seasons at the same time. :]
I actually consider TOS to be the only Trek because of all that. It never pretended to be more then it was; cheesy, campy, low budget space adventure. I'd frankly prefer a return to that rather then the inevitable heavy handed morality tale, the pompous jackassery of TNG or the GRIMDARK! of nBSG (which is likely what we would get).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Technically this has already partially happened with the release of the HD TOS remastered, which replaced the older special visual effects with modern CGI. Replacing the sets and such? Hardly really necessary as ST:ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" saga showed us that the old style sets and costumes still hold up.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Technically this has already partially happened with the release of the HD TOS remastered, which replaced the older special visual effects with modern CGI. Replacing the sets and such? Hardly really necessary as ST:ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" saga showed us that the old style sets and costumes still hold up.
-Mike
So true.
It's not a question of sets or the costume styles, such as the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribulations" showed us as well, but a question of special effects.
With different lighting, a slight darkening of the costume colors as in NuTrek, and modern SFX, I think a new "TOS" could pull it off...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:05 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Technically this has already partially happened with the release of the HD TOS remastered, which replaced the older special visual effects with modern CGI. Replacing the sets and such? Hardly really necessary as ST:ENT's "In a Mirror, Darkly" saga showed us that the old style sets and costumes still hold up.
-Mike
And SoD died that day, to be resurrected the day after...

More seriously, you go from ENT to TNG, no problem. You look at nuTrek and its haircut salon lighting... mkay, still passes. Then you watch TOS.
*heart attach*
Frankly who the fuck but a die hard Trekkie would say oh yes, no problem I totally believe those sets existed after ENT and before TNG. They piloted shuttles with goddamn switches for crissake! :/
Left! *click* Ok, right please *click* down for about half a second please *click* again *click* ok stop... dang we need more right now *click* I said right *click* *click*

Wait. I'm not even sure it's worse than piloting your ship with a glorified iPad.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:They piloted shuttles with goddamn switches for crissake! :/
Left! *click* Ok, right please *click* down for about half a second please *click* again *click* ok stop... dang we need more right now *click* I said right *click* *click*
You mean like our current-day Space Shuttle and Soyuz spacecraft don't? Oh wait, they do. Look at all those switches and buttons, even with the more modern "glass cockpit" displays.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:52 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:They piloted shuttles with goddamn switches for crissake! :/
You mean like our current-day Space Shuttle and Soyuz spacecraft don't? Oh wait, they do. Look at all those switches and buttons, even with the more modern "glass cockpit" displays.
-Mike
See those joystick things there? That's what they use to pilot the vessel. Like in ENT in fact. And in Galaxy Quest. :D
I guess they're driving this fancy cab with their seats. Lean left to go left. Lean forward to dive. Spin to confuse your enemy. Please try to maintain position in your seat in case of disturbances to avoid amplifying the shuttle's rough ride.
For your attention. The chick has the shittiest job on this ship.
"Readings normal. According to the blue light, there. And that green one indicates... lemme see... acceleration normal. Oh, perfect. Phase one separation normal! ... as long as you don't care about what we separated from, of course." *snore*

Sulu seems to have the less buttons of all, yet he's driving Connie! He probably doesn't need more to make her tick. That said I think I can pick some knob on that panel. He also has a nice fancy big screen to put his digits on, between him and his pal on his right.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:11 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:See those joystick things there? That's what they use to pilot the vessel. Like in ENT in fact. And in Galaxy Quest. :D
You're only partly right. The joysticks are used for controlling the Space Shuttle orbiter during atmospheric reentry. For orbital operations, they use the keypads and other controls at the flight deck's aft station to imput maneuvers. They do have a rotational controller for certain fine maneuvers, docking with ISS or other spacecraft, but essentially the crew do flip switches and push buttons and the orbiter flies itself. So as long as Sulu or whomever is at the helm can do translational maneuvers by pushing a button, it should work just fine.
-Mike