The only Star Wars review you will ever need: Mk II

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: The only Star Wars review you will ever need: Mk II

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:03 am

"... and he was a good friend."

SKREEEE!

Yes, they never ever behaved like good friends. It would have required Vader to be older, to make his choice less related to teen angst and hormones. Obi Wan, his mentor, would now be his friend in the same way people don't give much of a shit about a difference of 15~20 years in age when both are quite beyond their mid 20s.

That's also why I think a CGI show would have been better about Qui-Gon Jinn and Dooku, when the later was switching sides.

Last Starfighter, amazing.

Then the analysis of Lucas' sexual psyche. Best part, the Sarlaac. :D

That said the author is being quite stupid in not getting the point of the beacon, especially when in part 2 he points out that Jango Jim wants to kill Padmé.

The whole weapon is your life is the samourai part of the Jedi. Of course it doesn't mesh well with the of not being a warrior and being peaceful, which I'm sure samourais were known to be...

The part about the non-assassinations during daylight broke me. Seriously, the guy takes time paying attention to all that's wrong about the movie. I swear, I've written a shit lot about it, and thus far (video 4), most of what I said, he doesn't speak about it, and most of what he says, I didn't sit down and even realize it.
Which means, in some positive way, that this film is actually pretty rich, and has to be watched maaaaany times, just to perfectly understand how it fucking sucks.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Damn you beat me too it in posting the links, oh well.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Well, just finished watching the whole thing, I cant believe how easy he makes it seem to come up with better ideas than what Lucas did. Padme being the one pursuing Anakin and thus being the cuse of his fall was so good I dont know why I've never heard that idea before. That was the one that got me the most, it was such a great role reversal idea. I dont entirely agree with his lightsaber complaint, Obi-Wan said it was the weapon of a Jedi way back in the first movie. But there is no reason the jedi cannot use various other weapons as a suppliment.
He's right, too much of the movie is obviously aimed at marketing especially towards kids. I've seen that myself with my nephews and their obsesion with Star Wars (jedi and prequals only, not the original trilogy), they have lightsabers galore, they always play at swinging their sabers, they know the name of every obscure jedi in all of the prequals and when I ask them about characters from the original trilogy they dont know anything.
Kind of sad really.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:22 pm

On further thought, his take on Samuel L. Jackson got me thinking, what if Jackson had played a sith lord, Palpatines apprentice that Anakin winds up killing to take his place? I mean Darth Maul, what did he really do that was evil or really bad? I think Samuel L. Jackson could have been an intense sith lord.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:26 pm

"You took that explosion pretty well!"

ROFL!

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:50 pm

"Excellent. I must now change my pantaloons, it appears I have shat myself."

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:00 am

watchdog wrote:On further thought, his take on Samuel L. Jackson got me thinking, what if Jackson had played a sith lord, Palpatines apprentice that Anakin winds up killing to take his place? I mean Darth Maul, what did he really do that was evil or really bad? I think Samuel L. Jackson could have been an intense sith lord.
When queried on his murder of children in the Jedi Temple:

"Yes they deserved to die and I hope they burn in hell."

Seriously, that would be a sight. And imagine what a great Jedi Master Morgan Freeman would have been, or Sidney Poitier. Hell, casting Poitier for the prequels would have been analagous to casting Guinness in the originals, and would have made Mace Windu's death far more meaningful to a wider (read: generationally diverse) audience.

Another home run for Harry S. Plinkett. Congrats.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:57 am

The two best revisionist ideas; Senator Amedala seduces Anakin Skywalker, and Mace Windu, Sith lord.
Even if the rest of the story elements had remained the same, those two changes in my opinion would have made the films much better overall. I think an evil Mace Windu as the lead villan in all three movies would have upped the threat level much better than a couple of barely evil sith lords whom we dont really care about, a constant face of evil to relate to and a real threat, like Vader was in the original.
RLM's idea about Amedala being horny and on the make would have been so much better, I mean Princess Leia was the so-called damsel in distress but she was willing to pick up a gun and save the heros who came to rescue her, so why shouldnt her mother be a typical horny senator looking for beefcake and inadvertantly causing the fall of a great jedi. That would have been incredible to watch unfold.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:17 pm

I got a kick out of how RLM pointed out the stupidity of the assassination attempt on Padame by intercutting clips from TNG showing how it could and should have been carried out.

As for not making use of the shapechanger properly, all that would have been needed to get around that would have been a simple line or two from Jango about how the original plan had to be nixed because the Jedi would sense the shapechanger in their midst. Thus the back up plans now have to be instituted.
-Mike