A Second Animated Star Trek Series?

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

A Second Animated Star Trek Series?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:48 pm

Could this be what's next for the Star Trek franchise:

http://trekmovie.com/2006/12/13/cbs-con ... ek-series/

Could this be the start of the franchise's revival, or is this coming too soon?
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:23 am

First, the style looks cool and I love the phase pistol. Both the uniforms and the weapon look much better than what was in ENT. They should have gone with something like that. If it ends up being canon, how the hell are we to get reliable info for "FX shots"? The whole thing is an FX shot. Not a CGI shot, but an animated shot. I keep thinking back to the unreliability of Saxton looking to a comic and guessing. The CGI shots of the past have been made to look realistic. How reliable can animation be?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:38 am

Oh dear.

While I do like the idea of advancing Trek forwards, I'm not sure I like the move to an "uncertainty and fear" environment for Trek. Trek was originally about progress and hope for the future.

It was launched in the era where "The Button" was very real and had fingers hovering over it, and when everybody knew in the back of their mind that nuclear armeggeddon could be around the corner. Call me grumpy... but I'm not so keen on this setting, particularly after the wonderfully optimistic tone set in Nemesis for future relations with the Romulans.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Well, fear and uncertainty should have played a larger role in ENT, so myabe this'll help bring back some of the people that wanted to see that in Trek. I really like the idea of large sections cut off from the rest of the Federation. It might bring something that I've wanted to see for some time that we know they've got the technology for: another kind of FTL drive that doesn't involve warping through real space. In VOY, we saw they have the tech to go into parallel realities. We saw a more uncontrolled version back in TNG with Worf. There is also time travel as far back as TNG. We know they're gonna get it eventually, but I'm partial to the parallel reality one because we know it'd be different from what we know they're gonna get in a few centuries. I just want a viable alternative to warp. You could still have a warp drive on the ship with this one. You'd use it to travel through the other reality and then, pop back into this one where you'd use warp again. The reason for bulding one would be because of the Omega particles. Even people in the Delta quadrent are experimenting with it, so they could make one to protect themselves if they run into more Omega particles. There are so many creative people we see throughout Trek and someone creative must be working on something like this because we know there are records of the technology being used to do it.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:25 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Oh dear.

While I do like the idea of advancing Trek forwards, I'm not sure I like the move to an "uncertainty and fear" environment for Trek. Trek was originally about progress and hope for the future.

It was launched in the era where "The Button" was very real and had fingers hovering over it, and when everybody knew in the back of their mind that nuclear armeggeddon could be around the corner. Call me grumpy... but I'm not so keen on this setting, particularly after the wonderfully optimistic tone set in Nemesis for future relations with the Romulans.
What if you thought of it as the progress and hope during troubled times? Instead of showing the end result, it'd be more of how you could go from bad to better?

Plus, things went better between the Feds and the klingons and then, they started fighting during DS9. Gowron went back to being buddies with the Federation only because he was getting his ass kicked by the Dominion and overreacted by sending people on useless missions, blaming the failures on those he sent to carry it out.

But, given the highly variable nature of the romulan government, it isn't that far fetched that things would go south with another overthrow of the government.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:32 pm

One good thing that may also come out of the new animated series is the use of the phaser, if the concept design is used. It's got a dome emitter. If off axis firing at different angles were shown, this would shut up the last of those people that still refuse to believe in its existence. But, at the moment, it might not happen, since there are only 6 minute episodes and they may just show straight forward shooting, but I wonder if it would take up the entire diameter of the dome or only a part. There might be settings for beam diameter.

That one image of Chase with the aliens behind him. I can't be sure if that's a new flashlight or another weapon (the thing looks like a baton), though he does have his holster on his right side, so it may just be a flashlight, eventhough it could have been a weapon someone else had that he's now holding. But, it looks like a flashlight that only shines forward and down, instead of everywhere. Maybe, like phasers, they got an off axis shining flashlight.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:21 pm

One thing that intriged me when I read the article was the BUG (Biomechanical Utility Grafts) concept for Lt. Donal's security team. With all the arguements about who would win in a ground war, this incorporation of Borg technology could open up some very interesting new areas of discussion...
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:23 am

Just how much borg tech are they gonna get? They're supposed to be bad asses, so maybe they have reflex/thinking increases and maybe even a shield. A partial exoskeleton maybe with injection/extraction/computer link up tubules? Something Seven of Nine-ish maybe? They could even have a personal transporter.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:53 pm

GStone wrote:Just how much borg tech are they gonna get? They're supposed to be bad asses, so maybe they have reflex/thinking increases and maybe even a shield. A partial exoskeleton maybe with injection/extraction/computer link up tubules? Something Seven of Nine-ish maybe? They could even have a personal transporter.
I'm guessing they'll be getting at least a form of minimized "collective conciousness" that allows for better group tactics, manovering and faster response times. Like telepathy, but with tech.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:21 pm

Wasn't one of the things that comes from the borg's collective consciousness is passing energy to others to heal them or do they rely more on their own nanobots than anything outside of that to take care of healing?