The only Star Wars review you will ever need

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
watchdog
Jedi Knight

The only Star Wars review you will ever need

Post by watchdog » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:26 am

Came across this review a couple of days ago, makes lots of sense and is very funny as well. It's on a political blog I frequent in it's entirety so if you are not interested in politics, dont bother with the rest of the blog;
http://www.bobcesca.com/blog-archives/2 ... .html#more

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: The only Star Wars review you will ever need

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 pm

That's an awesome video series, Watchdog. The sad irony is this guy's review shows more creativity and understanding of what Star Wars is about more than Lucas currently does. I also have to say that he shows some rather interesting insights into how Lucas no longer is surrounded by adversity or people who have the guts to tell him that he's got a bad idea in addition to the glaring flaws in logic in the story and character development.
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am

Well it certainly pointed out some things I'd never thought of in regards to TPM.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:39 am

Thinking about TMP is painful, that's why you didn't think up those points.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Thinking about TMP is painful, that's why you didn't think up those points.
-Mike
The Monotonous Plot?

Those videos are nice. The guy's voice and accent kinda get on my nerves since it's all forced, but he echoes some of my griefs about that flick. Part 5 was getting a bit unfair by criticizing Qui-Gon's values, until he used ANH to trash TPM's plot about leaving Tatooine.

Yes, TPM is truly disastrous, and yet I think it's the best of all three prequel movies. I can't believe I actually went to watch AOTC twice, to convince myself that I wasn't being fair when thinking AOTC was total shit or something.

And yes, indeed, the plots are impossible to describe. Without sitting down and taking my time, I can't tell you what the hell Sidious was up to and how he gained anything in the end.

Unsurprisingly, there's so much nonsense in the prequels and TPM alone that he missed the thing about how Obi-Wan seems to fall from the ceiling in their first lightsabre fight with droids, on the Trade Federation ship. I mean, where is he coming from? How could he even jump that high first? How did he not knock himself over? Did he go through walls? Is that another convenient Force power never used again, like, say, in the Palace's core?
God.

And, oh my, in part 7, taken from a "behind the blue screen" moment, there actually was someone telling Lucas, very politely, that his movie was a mess? The kind of things that, basically, this yes-man Rick guy should have been doing since, err... day 1?

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:48 pm

I went looking to see if the video author made any for the rest of the prequals, he has not. But he did make similar videos for all of the TNG movies.
Take a look;
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedLetterMedia

The guy really loves his pizza rolls (and really hates his wife-er-ex-wife).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:00 pm

watchdog wrote: The guy really loves his pizza rolls (and really hates his wife-er-ex-wife).
Apparently he's also a serial killer who got into a gunfight with the Police and FBI. ;-)
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:43 am

I rather enjoy that shtick he's got going on.

He was bang on with his review of NEM, what a steaming pile of Shinzon that was. I got part way through his review of INS as well.

Still waiting for my damn pizza roll though.

Cocytus
Jedi Knight

Post by Cocytus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:23 am

Oh my God I love this guy. These have got to be some of the funniest things I've seen. He is so good at finding all the little problems in plot and logic, both in Star Trek and Star Wars.

And YES, someone else noticed Picard ditching his priceless Kurlan Naiskos from "The Chase."

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Yeah, he brings up good points in Star Trek, but you can really hear the disappointment he had with TMP over everything else, and it also shows in just how extensive a review he gave of it over all the others.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:42 pm

I hate his forced accent, but I did like the first review I saw of him, about Star Trek: Botox People (the one with the shitty Worfzooka).

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Yeah, he brings up good points in Star Trek, but you can really hear the disappointment he had with TMP over everything else, and it also shows in just how extensive a review he gave of it over all the others.
-Mike
Well there hadn't been any films for what, 20ish years. Where as they pumped out Trek films every few years during that time. So TPM was pretty anticipated. Though now I realize why I never bothered to see it again or why I waited for DVD with ROTS.
I hate his forced accent, but I did like the first review I saw of him, about Star Trek: Botox People (the one with the shitty Worfzooka).
INS? I watched that last night, along with FC and NEM. I never really noticed the difference between Moive Picard and Series Picard. Their like totally different characters.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:47 pm

Just knoticed his review for the latest Star Trek movie....the man most certainly has a dark turn of mind, funny though.

Check it out.

Oh and the difference between tv Picard (known as Larry) and movie Picard are pretty interesting, but I think that maybe Larry decided that always following his orders was not always the right thing to do, or maybe the Shinzon project really was carried out in the end.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:26 am

Meh. Not nearly as fun and interesting as the TPM review.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:54 pm

The Dude wrote:INS? I watched that last night, along with FC and NEM. I never really noticed the difference between Moive Picard and Series Picard. Their like totally different characters.
That's one thing that sticks out immediately as far as I'm concerned, is that the characters on the big screen conform to many Hollywood clichés of action movies, in some Trek movies.
Picard seems to get closer to Kirk, for example, and you get contrived excuses to get an emotional Data.