The only Star Wars review you will ever need

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: The only Star Wars review you will ever need

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 pm

The scene in AoTC of Anakin's admission to Padame of having committed mass manslaughter was handled so very poorly as to be unbelievable. First we get a whiney temper tantrum from Anakin about how he's being held back by Obi-Wan, being the most powerful Jedi ever, then he admits to being a murder. If Anakin had been in a state of quiet shock over what he'd done and been remorseful, I can understand why Padame would be willing to keep it to herself, and hold out hope that Anakin would still be a good person and a Jedi.

But no, that's not what we got.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:43 pm

In the end what we have is scant evidence that Anakin was ever a good person (TCW not withstanding). I realize that the Darkside of the Force is supposed to be a corrupting influence like the One Ring in the Lord of the Rings, but in the case of Anakin Skywalker, he did not have any trouble falling. The best that we got of his remorse was the tears he was shedding on Mustaffar after having killed all of the Seperatists, even Palpatine's manipulations were ham-handed and poorly done in order to make a "good-guy" fall.

Really, the various stories of fallen jedi from the EU is a much better tale than what happened to Darth Vader, Lucas had twenty years to write a good story, if he was having this much trouble then he should have asked for help from a better writter, to hell with his "only working on stuff he writes himself."
This makes you wonder how he got the first trilogy so right to begin with.

I remember reading once, and later asking the question on SB, about how after his first big success in "American Graffiti" Lucas was looking into purchasing the rights to one of his favorite tv shows, Star Trek. I asked on Space battles what Trek would have been like under Lucas (a few thought it would have been better, others just thought it would have been a little different). With what we know now, the first couple of movies might have been phenomenal, but then it would have steadily gotten worse, right down to B&B levels.
That is kind of depressing when you really think about it.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:58 am

As has been noted before, Lucas is a great idea man and as producer he's pretty good at getting what he wants done. His big problem is that he is no longer a good writer, nor directer. As the one video critic pointed out, you can see where people were not speaking up when they should have. Lucas is now surrounded by "Yes" men and women who won't rock the boat or offer up a better idea or way of doing things as was the case years ago during the making of ANH and TESB. Adversity is what helps the creative process as long as it does not degenerate into destructive negativism. And like with Star Trek in some cases, as the special effects and budget got bigger, the story quality also declined.

Also to consider is that Lucas may in his old age have become a control freak who won't tolerate any dissent, and that would explain what we see in the behind the scene shots of people with uncertain looks on their faces. Who knows.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:57 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:That confused Matthew is really trying too hard to be confused about many things. His TPM part I was "interesting" although remarkably falling short of trying to stand up to his website's name, and the second part was simply retarded beyond belief.
Maybe this idiot needs to be told that the Jedi are the guardians of the Republic, and whatever happens outside of the Republic is not their business. Period.
I think he was trying to look at it from the perspective of what the movie offered, which was that the Jedi were guardians of truth and justice. And to be fair, they really don't do any of that. I will say however, that it's not nearly as good as RedMedia's. Matthew spends more time bitching about the plot and Anakin then he does pointing out the problems.

Gui-Gon Jinn doesn't comment on Anakin and Shmi's words because he knows there's little he can do, there is nothing to say at all, and anything he can do is to focus on the way to get off that rock.
It's best taken as a set. Some of his bitching about the slavery thing becomes rather apparent in the Attack of the Clone review, where he points out that the Jedi did absolutely nothing to help the slaves or even Anakin's mother.

Personally however, his Clone Wars Movie is probably the best out of those. He also seems to have liked STX. Granted, while he has a point that the villian was much better than the others, the entire plot wasn't much better than the others. I'd say the best was First Contact, but even then that was sort of weak.

And the Borg Queen...ugh.
Then, of course, all the reasons given to get out of here are silly, but that's Fat Lucas.
The other reviewer who seems to be chewing his own tongue as he speaks is actually capable to point out the silliness of the plot when it comes to finding a way to leave Tatooine. Etc.
Yeah, I remember when I first heard RedMedia's voice too. Made my ears bleed and I wasn't too intent upon seeing the rest of it, but after you get used to it, its not so bad.

Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Getting back to the OP: That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Can't believe I watched in its entirety twice!