Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI Season 2

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Starship Captain

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI Season 2

Post by 2046 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:51 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
2046 wrote:Warp drive, hyperdrive . . . oh for an FTL drive that doesn't move at the speed of plot!
Completely off topic: did you receive my PM? :)
From September 2009? Or was there a more recent one?
Praeothmin wrote:
2046 wrote:Warp drive, hyperdrive . . . oh for an FTL drive that doesn't move at the speed of plot!
The Improbable Drive from "The Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy"...
Its speed determines the Plot, not the other way around... :)
See, that's what I'm talking about. I don't necessarily want so-called hard sci-fi, where it's exclusively based on extrapolations from modern tech. That's okay and all as gedankenexperiments, but the most insightful sci-fi actually plays around with the rules a little . . . and dare I say, often ends up more accurate in regards to the future's possibilities.

So while I don't mind a little whimsy with my sci-fi, I am more demanding in regards to its continuity. If its internal mechanics don't work, then it is not a sci-fi universe but instead an anthology series set in similar but distinct universe settings.

That sucks.

Of course, that's why I generally don't like a lot of what's out there. Hollywood types, as a rule, have very little idea how to really make plausible realities.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars CGI Season 2

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu May 13, 2010 2:50 am

2046 wrote: So while I don't mind a little whimsy with my sci-fi, I am more demanding in regards to its continuity. If its internal mechanics don't work, then it is not a sci-fi universe but instead an anthology series set in similar but distinct universe settings.

That sucks.

Of course, that's why I generally don't like a lot of what's out there. Hollywood types, as a rule, have very little idea how to really make plausible realities.
Star Trek as originally conceived is more like the anthology style series where what happened in one episode may have zero effect on another, and there were no long term story arcs. Roddenberry tried to make things consistant as far as the world Star Trek was set in by the time he start TNG, but the warp speed charts he made Okuda and Sternbach come up with were totally inconsistant with most of TOS' speeds. Luckily there the writers again until about TNG's later seasons, as well as DS9's first seasons, began to enforce the backstage charts for story purposes, then went back on it, thus creating the endless confusion.

Star Wars was at least fairly vauge about specific numbers and times as far as the movies and their novelizations, which while a bit too ambigous, allowed for more oops margin when it came to writing speed as a component of moving the plot forward. However that has changed dramatically with the CGI TCW and probably won't get any better in the forseeable future with the live action series, if the the live action SW series ever comes to fruition.
-Mike