Star Trek XI

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:12 am

I"am not sure that your complaint has any merit. There have been large-eared Romulans before as seen here in this pic of a [url=tp://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Bonnie_Perkinson,_Inter_Arma_Enim_Silent_Leges.jpg]Romulan female[/url]from "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges". No up swept eyebrows on the Narada Romulans? Take a look at this pic of Ayel, where you can clearly see that the actor had to shave his eyebrows or wear some kind of prosthetic to cover his real ones since his eyebrows clearly sweep upwards.
-Mike

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 pm

The BP one doesn't work. Did you mean this one?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memor ... _Leges.jpg

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:53 am

Yeah, that's the one.
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Re: Star Trek XI

Post by Sideswipe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 pm

I dont care what you say, the Narada and the Kelvin do not belong to the real Star Trek universe. They dont look anything like what each culture's design lineage should look. The nacelles of the NX-01 are clearly based on the nacelles of the Phoenix. The Kelvin's nacelles look completely wrong. The alternate timeline is all bullshit to reboot something that doesnt need to be rebooted. Why go back to something that has already been done before anyway, there is way to much rebooting and remaking as it is. Why not come up with your own ideas for once. The ship designs are total crap. The new Enterprise is hideous, the sets are crap too. Dont try and say, well the design needs to be updated, because you are a moron if you do. There is nothing about the look of the exterior that screams 1960s. Its not like it has huge fins like a 57 chevy. Some extieror detaling updates are pretty much all it needs. Why completely redo the look of the ship but keep the uniforms from the same era almost unchanged. I have a COLOSSAL problem with the end of the movie. I know they want to have Star Trek movies with Captain Kirk, but the ending was the final nail in the coffin of this movies shittynes. No one would have ever promoted Kirk to captain of the Enterprise if they wanted to keep their career. Yes, he saved Earth, but other than that he has absolutely no command or space experience, he didnt even graduate from the academy! I was a huge Star Trek fan, but if this is the future of Star Trek, I am out.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm

You have a right to your opinion, Sideswipe, but others have a right to theirs.
I loved the new movie, I think the new E is gorgeous, and I think the movie ended as it should have had, considering the events that happened in it.
But that's my personal opinion...

Starship Captain

Re:

Post by 2046 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I"am not sure that your complaint has any merit. There have been large-eared Romulans before as seen here in this pic of a [url=tp://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Bonnie_Perkinson,_Inter_Arma_Enim_Silent_Leges.jpg]Romulan female[/url]from "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges". No up swept eyebrows on the Narada Romulans? Take a look at this pic of Ayel, where you can clearly see that the actor had to shave his eyebrows or wear some kind of prosthetic to cover his real ones since his eyebrows clearly sweep upwards.
-Mike
Sorry, I never saw this message before.

1. That chick doesn't have inflated ears. Compare the graceful Nimoy-esque eartips on every other Romulan to the balloon-ears on every JJTrek Romulan.

(Start here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Romulan )

2. Who said no upswept eyebrows? I didn't. I was clearly referring to the prosthetic:
TNG Romulans had a built up square brow with a V-shaped bump on it, like this:

Image {where'd it go?}

Nero and friends didn't have that. They have a heavy Neanderthal brow with a slight upswing on the outer parts, increasing the altitude of the eyebrows a bit, but other than that nothing.
Again, refer to the Romulan article.

Or here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Narada_personnel

Compare to here:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Telek_R%27Mor
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Varel.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Mirok.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Vrax.jpg
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Donatra.jpg

There's just no way to miss the V-shape on the brow or the built up square forehead.

Now look at this guy:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File:Na ... fficer.jpg

You can't tell me there are no differences.

And yes, I know TOS Romulans had no brow. But as with the Klingons, I'm sure there's a reason, since it seems we can't dismiss the cheap makeup like we used to be able to.

Anyway, that's my take on the Romulan side of it. I have more extensive rationale as to why the JJTrek pre-alteration universe is not the TNG universe elsewhere.

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

I hate this stupid movie!

Post by Youngla0450 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:43 am

The new Star Trek movie is pretty stupid. I watched it several weeks ago on CD at home, and it did not impress me. I thought the peformances were aboslutely horrible. The new actors did not have the same humor, good moves, and famous lines the regular ones do. I really would have loved to see Kirk say something to McCoy about peforming a analysis of the Nero or something, and to McCoy say "Damn it Jim, I am a doctor.not a mechanical analayist!". I would have loved more footage on the destruction of Vulcan, with more character interaction, less action, and more dialogue. I would have loved if the Enterprise had looked the same: that original ship from the 60's, and not no new one. I hated Chris Pine's peformance at Kirk, he paled in comparsion to William Shatner. I also thought Leonard Nimoy, who peformed the regular universe Spock, should have been serious and logical as he was in the original series.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: I hate this stupid movie!

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Youngla0450 wrote:The new Star Trek movie is pretty stupid. I watched it several weeks ago on CD at home, and it did not impress me. I thought the peformances were aboslutely horrible. The new actors did not have the same humor, good moves, and famous lines the regular ones do. I really would have loved to see Kirk say something to McCoy about peforming a analysis of the Nero or something, and to McCoy say "Damn it Jim, I am a doctor.not a mechanical analayist!". I would have loved more footage on the destruction of Vulcan, with more character interaction, less action, and more dialogue. I would have loved if the Enterprise had looked the same: that original ship from the 60's, and not no new one. I hated Chris Pine's peformance at Kirk, he paled in comparsion to William Shatner. I also thought Leonard Nimoy, who peformed the regular universe Spock, should have been serious and logical as he was in the original series.
And I thought the exact opposite on every aspect...
Pine was great, while different then Shatner, the old Spock, in his latest incarnations, was indeed more humorous, and the ST movies of late had waaaaaayyyyyyyy too much dialogue and had seem to forget all about gripping, edge-of-your-seat action...

But you're entitled to your opinion, and from your review, I gather you hated all SW movies, especially the prequels, since they followed the same pattern as NuTrek... :)

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:38 am

You made the wrong presumptions. I actually loved Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. That movie had a good amount of action, but also a lot of character interaction, especially between Kirk and Spock, Kirk and his son, and Kirk and Khan. The Battle in the Nebula was fairly good, and Khan's moments and vying for revenge was the best. I also liked Saavik's emotion in the funeral, and I loved Spock's actions in saving the Enterprise.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Youngla0450 wrote:You made the wrong presumptions. I actually loved Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. That movie had a good amount of action, but also a lot of character interaction, especially between Kirk and Spock, Kirk and his son, and Kirk and Khan. The Battle in the Nebula was fairly good, and Khan's moments and vying for revenge was the best. I also liked Saavik's emotion in the funeral, and I loved Spock's actions in saving the Enterprise.
No no, not the old Trek movies, but all Star Wars movies, since they basically follow similar patterns as nuTrek, especially the Prequels...

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:34 pm

The Star Wars movies have more character interaction, especially in Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith. They also have a good amount of action and very good special effects.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Youngla0450 wrote:The Star Wars movies have more character interaction, especially in Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith. They also have a good amount of action and very good special effects.
The Empire Strikes Back is my favorite by a long margin, it turned into a bit of a advert for merchandising after that.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 am

Ugh, did someone just admit to liking the Prequels?

Man, dude, watch the RLM reviews.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:28 pm

The Dude wrote:Ugh, did someone just admit to liking the Prequels?

Man, dude, watch the RLM reviews.
Well, I have to say I liked them too, though not for the story or acting, but rather for the action and SFX...

And from the OT, I agree with Kor that TESB was the best of the lot.
In fact, it is the best of the 6 movies...

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:32 pm

Oh agreed that ESB was the best of the lot.