Star Trek XI

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Re: Star Trek XI

Post by Youngla0450 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I also love Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back. The character interaction between Leia and Han, between Luke and Yoda, and between Luke and Darth Vader is great. While the special effects isn't the greatest, the plot and the running of the story is.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Everyones mileage varies but I prefer the simpler, less cluttered effects of the OT. Yeah it was cool the first time I saw the Clones in AOTC with all their kit on Geonosis but the more I see of it, the less awesome it is. While the OT effects still retain the "look cool factor" for me. Maybe it's just because with the PT it seemed the effects where just there for the sake of having them.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:30 pm

You hit the nail on the head there, Dude about one of the many things wrong with the PT; George Lucas became too enamoured with the special effects technology that he forgot about those little things called good story telling and characterization. Of course, as Red Letter pointed out in the TPM review, it did not help anything with no one willing to speak up when GL presented one crappy idea after another. If only someone had put their foot down when it mattered, we might not have gotten the travesty known as Jar-Jar Binks.
-Mike

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:33 pm

In Discussion: Anyways, my favorite Star Trek movies are Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, is fairly good, but it needs more character interaction, less action, and a more detailed plot.

My favorite Star Wars movies are: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Episode V: Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones, and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Out of Discussion: Look on the threads on Trek/Wars, Mike.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Youngla0450 wrote:In Discussion: Anyways, my favorite Star Trek movies are Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, is fairly good, but it needs more character interaction, less action, and a more detailed plot.
Wait...what? The movie is almost entirely character interaction (well Kirk being a dick to Decker) and boring effects shots. Theres maybe 15 minutes of "action" in the entire film and it's probably got the most detailed plot of them all, or at least the most info blurted out about the big bad.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:26 pm

The Dude wrote:
Youngla0450 wrote:In Discussion: Anyways, my favorite Star Trek movies are Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. Star Trek: The Motion Picture, is fairly good, but it needs more character interaction, less action, and a more detailed plot.
Wait...what? The movie is almost entirely character interaction (well Kirk being a dick to Decker) and boring effects shots. Theres maybe 15 minutes of "action" in the entire film and it's probably got the most detailed plot of them all, or at least the most info blurted out about the big bad.
But don't you see?
It's that 15 minutes of action that ruined the rest. We were on the way to recreate a new "2001: A Space Trek Odissey", but then we had to have action scenes... :)

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, made $146 million total, but had a budget of $45 million, had horrible quality, and not that good character interaction.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Your a bot aren't you?

Hey, I feel kind of down, should I go have a drink?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:26 pm

I haven't watched it yet. Is there a version with added bonus now?

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Blu-ray I would imagine, I haven't seen it either mind you.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:44 am

For ST:TMP? As far back as the Director's Special Edition, there have been all kinds of awesome added bonus material. You don't need the Blu-Ray for that. Although I don't know how well the CGI effects Foundation Imaging did for the 2001 ST:TMP SE would hold up under the higher resolution.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:48 am

Youngla0450 wrote:Star Trek: The Motion Picture, made $146 million total, but had a budget of $45 million, had horrible quality, and not that good character interaction.
In adjusted for inflation numbers, ST:TMP made $240 million total. No other ST movie topped that until Star Trek 2009.
-Mike

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 pm

As I said, ST:TMP only made $146 million, according to Wikipedia. Wrath of Khan, though making only $90 million, was a much better movie. More chracter interaction and less action. It is considered the best Star Trek movie of all time, in terms of quality and interaction.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:44 pm

As I said, ST:TMP only made $146 million, according to Wikipedia. Wrath of Khan, though making only $90 million, was a much better movie. More chracter interaction and less action. It is considered the best Star Trek movie of all time, in terms of quality and interaction.
Interaction?
You mean there's an unlockable end where Kahn doesn't die or something?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:50 pm

Um, that cannot be correct as ST:TMP brought in a little bit more than $82 million dollars in 1979 dollars according Box Office Mojoand other sources. Now using this nifty inflation calculator here, which when you imput the number and year gives you 239 million dollars. The original production budget would be more than 102 million dollars.
-Mike