New Battlestar Galactica Series finale....

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

New Battlestar Galactica Series finale....

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:16 pm

So now that the final chapter of the New Battlestar Galactica has been broadcast. What do you think? How does it rate as a series finale?

Was it good and satisfying enough what?

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:11 am

I have yet to figure out whether I found it satisfactory. I'm thinking not.

1. It was suggested that the presence on the colonies of objects identical to modern ones would be explained within the series. For instance, we've seen Humvees, street signs, "All Along the Watchtower", and dozens of other little things that made Caprica and the BSG universe appear only somewhat different than modern LA or Toronto.

This explanation did not occur. The only way to get one now is to give a deus ex machina / Platonic explanation . . . that the God-thing of the BSG universe is a controlling and repetitious entity or force, producing certain forms over and over again in the midst of the same basic pattern.

For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal truck communicated to the prevalent lifeforms of the day, and this is the Hummer. For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal song communicated to the prevalent lifeforms, and this is "All Along the Watchtower". For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal road signage communicated to the prevalent lifeforms of the day, and this is the modern US standard.

It's just retarded. If you're going to tie those things together then you should give a timeline which makes it possible. The one provided by the finale does not.

He'd have almost done better to have a very Trekkish solution of everyone stepping through a Guardian-of-Foreverish portal and ending up as historical figures (known and unknown) guiding us to where we now are.

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

SPOILER ALERT

2. Fly all the ships into the sun and give up all of your technology and even society? Are you out of your mind?

A. This is an instant death sentence to anyone with sustained medical needs. Laura Roslin could be construed as an example of this, though she was already on her way out the door. Anders was definitely an example. Even Hera, a unique medical case, could've needed care (and has at times).

B. Splitting your groups across a planet with no means of contact is absurd.

C. Where is the evidence of advancement 150,000 years ago, other than the interbreeding?

D. Why burn all the books, proverbially speaking? No history or warning was left for future generations.

E. Some have suggested that this is a good way to hide from the Cylons. No, it isn't. The Cylons would locate a planet filled with completely defenseless humans. Time to build a new Farm! "Maybe we'll have more luck with these not-quite-Kobolian-humans."

3. Baltar lives. And gets Caprica. What the frak?

A. Why no kid from them as another Eve?

4. The God-thing is said to be beyond good and evil . . . these are thought to be human (or Cylon) philosophical constructs.

My ass. It's suggested that the population of the Twelve Colonies was 20 billion. There are less than 40,000 free survivors. That is evil. And per the way this is all supposed to be playing out, that was not merely Cylon action . . . that was the will of the God-thing.

There's more, but I'm tired of typing on the matter. All in all, it just makes little sense. It's not as bad as "These are the Voyages" by any means, but I'd say Moore did better with his part of his last show-ender for DS9.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:25 pm

2046 wrote:
1. It was suggested that the presence on the colonies of objects identical to modern ones would be explained within the series. For instance, we've seen Humvees, street signs, "All Along the Watchtower", and dozens of other little things that made Caprica and the BSG universe appear only somewhat different than modern LA or Toronto.

This explanation did not occur. The only way to get one now is to give a deus ex machina / Platonic explanation . . . that the God-thing of the BSG universe is a controlling and repetitious entity or force, producing certain forms over and over again in the midst of the same basic pattern.

For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal truck communicated to the prevalent lifeforms of the day, and this is the Hummer. For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal song communicated to the prevalent lifeforms, and this is "All Along the Watchtower". For the God-thing there seems to be an ideal road signage communicated to the prevalent lifeforms of the day, and this is the modern US standard.

It's just retarded. If you're going to tie those things together then you should give a timeline which makes it possible. The one provided by the finale does not.
It's actually consistent with the original, 1970s BSG, if you're familiar with the direction it was pitched towards.

You see, the first BSG was meant as a Mormon parable. No, really.

According to the teachings of Joseph Smith, God was basically one of us, and when we die we ascend to the level of God with our own universe, or something like that. The recurring theme here is death and rebirth, tending to follow the same pattern.

Anyway, I recognized the consistency here when I saw the finale.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 11, 2009 10:32 pm

Very nice tear jerking finale for a high quality show.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 12, 2009 12:53 am

I did really love the playing of the "Colonial Anthem" song while the battered and broken Galactica leads her fleet one last time into the Sun.
-Mike

Sideswipe
Bridge Officer

Re: New Battlestar Galactica Series finale....

Post by Sideswipe » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 am

It was pretty good up until the end. I cant really see everyone in a group of almost 38,000 people deciding to just give up all their technology and living primitive. Hopefully the groups were distributed with people who can farm and know how to hunt with primitive weapons like bows and spears. Probably very few of the colonists had that kind of survival training. Did they bring seeds for planting down from the fleet? The suicide mission to rescue Hera didnt seem to have a payoff since Earth has people that are geneticly compatible with the colonists. What was up with Starbuck? I haven taken to calling her "Starbuck the White" in the 4th season. The Galactica herself didnt really get a proper send off for me, considering the show was named after her. I guess Ronald Moore isnt very creative when dispatching ships that need to go out in style. He was one of the writers for Star Trek Generations, and the Enterprise got a horrible goodbye in that movie. If I was writing I would have had it knocked off course by a collision that took Sam offline somehow and had it drift through space for a few thousand years before entering orbit of a planet that had primitive space flight. They would board Galactica and reverse engineer its FTL and sublight systems and build a ship based on its design that looks remarkably like the original Glen Larson Galactica. I also would have had the colonists arive only about 10,000 years ago and start the city of Atlantis, and inspire the ancient Greeks religion. Thats just me though.