New Star Trek trailer

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Okay, where did you get this information from? If that's true is this done in the past or the future?
Part of it is from the prequel comics. Red Matter is something that can create blackholes, and originally it was supposed to be used to save the Romulan Empire from a giganova. But judging by the trailer, Nero uses the stuff to destroy Vulcan. From the footage we know that Vulcan is attacked in the new timeline, so I believe the whole planet collapsing actually happens in the new timeline.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:53 pm

Red matter creates mass out of nowhere?

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Red matter creates mass out of nowhere?
How is that even possible? Unless is pulling that mass from somewhere else like another universe perhaps?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Or then it's just a very light mass concentrated in a very very small space. All we know so far is that Red Matter can be used to create black hole.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:55 pm

The music is "Freedom Fighters" from the CD "Legend" as performed by the trailer music composers "Two Steps from Hell".

Even if the movie sucks, that trailer should win an award. And be canon. Seriously. ;)

The also-good-but-not-as-uber second trailer also featured TSfH music, in this case "Down with the Enterprise" also available for a listen at NickPhoenix.com.

Just FYI.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:21 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Okay, where did you get this information from? If that's true is this done in the past or the future?
Part of it is from the prequel comics. Red Matter is something that can create blackholes, and originally it was supposed to be used to save the Romulan Empire from a giganova. But judging by the trailer, Nero uses the stuff to destroy Vulcan. From the footage we know that Vulcan is attacked in the new timeline, so I believe the whole planet collapsing actually happens in the new timeline.
Ah, so this is in part speculation from the non-canon comics and trailer. I thought that mining platform was on a Klingon planet, not Vulcan. Oh well.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:36 am

l33telboi wrote:Or then it's just a very light mass concentrated in a very very small space. All we know so far is that Red Matter can be used to create black hole.
The red matter would violently expand from the moment whatever keeps it into a tight beam would stop to exist.
Not to count the impossibility of a station to handle all the mass of a black hole imho.
Now, don't Romulans use black hole reactors or something?

Could it be that they found a way to transport that black hole out of the core, and with a catalyst (red matter?), have it grow very fast by being fed with the matter pressed into it as it's located in the center of a planet?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:28 am

Yes, the Romulans use small quantum singularities (black holes) as the power source for their warp reactors.
-Mike

watchdog
Jedi Knight

Post by watchdog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:47 am

An interesting take on the latest trailer;

http://goanimate.com/go/movie/0co4ZJTsHDgY/1

I just joined and I hope to learn how to make my own little films soon.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 am

watchdog wrote:An interesting take on the latest trailer;

http://goanimate.com/go/movie/0co4ZJTsHDgY/1

I just joined and I hope to learn how to make my own little films soon.
LAWL