Sci-Fi Essays by Jay Garmon of The TechRepublic

For reviews and close examination of sources - episode reviews, book reviews, raves and rants about short stories, et cetera.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Sci-Fi Essays by Jay Garmon of The TechRepublic

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:43 pm

Jay Garmon of "The TechRepublic" has written some essays regarding some commonly adopted conventions used in science fiction in his "GeekEnd" column.

Some background information regarding the website: "The TechRepublic" is one of the websites owned under the large corporate umbrella of "the CNet Group," which is essentially the cyberspace arm of the Paramount/CBS-Viacom media empire (which, as many of you are aware, are the copyright holders of Star Trek). Other websites of the CNet Group include GameFAQs (where I discovered this article), GameSpot, IGN, TV.com, Movie Tome, BNet, and of course the CNet website itself. Most of these websites originated as independent websites but were subsequently purchased by CNet (perhaps in a way which may remind many of the frequent purchases of video game developers and publishers by Electronic Arts and UbiSoft, or perhaps more analogous the purchases of many smaller media outlets by Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp) which in turn was purchased by CBS-Viacom. Because of this there tends to be tremendous overlap between the various websites, most notably with GameFAQs, GameSpot and IGN presenting multiple instances of editorial redundancy and contradictory and conflicting opinion. TechRepublic, in particular, despite being ostensibly a technology information and hobby website, most frequently contains news and editorial items related to the business world, greatly overlapping with BNet (perhaps forced about to prevent overlap with "mother site" CNet). Not to mention, I generally find their opinions and advice to be extremely crappy - but these two articles are actually an exception. Although I have to admit Jay Garmon makes himself look like a douche with the way he has his head slightly cocked and one eye half-winked in his column. This seems to be a common trait amongst TechRepublic picture profiles, almost as if it's a self-admission.

The Top 12 Sci-Fi Plot Devices Geeks Love To Hate

Sci-Fi Rant: Why Giant Mecha Robots Are Stupid